I was inspired by "MR Robot" TV series to journey towards Linux

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Eclipsenow+
Level 1
Level 1

I was inspired by "MR Robot" TV series to journey towards Linux

Post by Eclipsenow+ » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:55 am

Hi all, (I rewrote this to shorten and add clarity.)
My wife is a graphic designer and so is locked into everything Mac and Adobe. That’s fine, but I’m in admin and yet under the influence of my wife’s design firm have let myself be locked into Apple’s way of telling me what hardware and software I can use. But then I watched the MR ROBOT TV series and it inspired me so much, I might be moving into IT one day! That’s another story.

So there I was, watching MR ROBOT, when he suddenly freaked out and thought he’d been hacked. He turned the computer off, ripped some chips out and burned them in the microwave! Then he took a drill to his hard drive! All I could think? “Oh man — I want to be like that!” First of all, I’ve let my digital hygiene be too Apple focussed. Yes, I’ve got time machine backups off site. But that’s not quite what I mean. All my family movies are locked into their iMovie system of doing things, and it’s going to take ages to extract and store in normal system folders arranged by calendar and month — the way most normal people backup their media to be cross-platform. I suddenly realised how dependent I was on Apple’s complete system and way of life. That if I wanted to change, it was going to be a MAJOR PROJECT! I hate how controlling Apple is about the expensive hardware you have to buy, and their strict hands-off policy. “Do not touch, and do not dare consider buying that cheaper hardware!”

I hate the feeling of being locked into everything Apple. I can see Apple’s value to the designer world, where they want to create with the best and don’t want to spend all day being a System Administrator (as they would have to in WINDOZE) and where time is money and Systems Admin is just frustrating as hell. But for me? Total overkill, extra expense, and a sense of being controlled.
I want that MR ROBOT freedom of being totally backed up and free to mix and match whatever compatible hardware and software I want. I want the freedom to suddenly rip some chips out and nuke em! And not pay $8300 for their basic Mac Pro tower! (And that’s the STARTING PRICE in Australia!)
That MR ROBOT scene made me jealous. Here was a guy who had digital hygiene and really knew his machine, right down into the guts of it. He could do whatever. I want to be like that! It will take a while to extract myself from Apple's way of doing things, but Mint is the goal!

Finally, as a bit of a silly aside, it was so cool when MR Robot fired up Kali and I recognised it as a legit OS and then jumped across and found this Kali add. Now while I want Linux Mint for ease of use, this Kali security add kicks! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8bqSt4aHXs
Last edited by Eclipsenow+ on Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: I was inspired by "MR Robot" TV series to journey towards Linux

Post by Moem » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:02 am

Hey, hello and welcome! Boy, you are in for a treat. I bet Mint will be right up your alley, and you'll find your feet before you know it. Good to have you on board!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:06 am

Welcome to the forums!
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:09 am

Cool story. I love that Kali ad. :lol:

Have fun with Linux Mint, which is currently probably the easiest and most reliable desktop Linux on the planet!
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Post by kc1di » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:16 am

Hello Eclipsenow+,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, enjoy!
Nice story also :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:36 pm

Hello Eclipsenow+ Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:42 am

You like Mac interface? If so, also check out Zorin OS.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Moem » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:46 am

Eclipsenow+ wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:55 am
Finally, as a bit of a silly aside, it was so cool when MR Robot fired up Kali
He's also been spotted using Mint.
In this video he is booting a Kali live disk on his Linux Mint 17.2 desktop: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvphe2QWraE
The title and description of the clip are way off the mark... he's not installing a 'Kali theme', he's running a rootkit detection program to check whether his Mint is compromised.

Just so you know, any tool that can be installed on Kali (or comes pre-installed on Kali) can also be installed on Mint. There is nothing inherently more hip or cool about Kali. It just comes with a handy pre-packaged collection of tools.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Greencedar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Greencedar » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:02 am

This is Mr. Robot.

Welcome to the Linux Mint forum.
Greencedar

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:26 am

i watched the pilot free on youtube when it came out. they offered it free and i was hooked. but when the rest of the show came out, it is a disgusting show about a mental case that occasionally uses kali linux. BFD yeah i stopped watching about the third episode.

welcome to mint, but this show shouldn't be recommended as a linux show but a psyco show

Eclipsenow+
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eclipsenow+ » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:51 am

trytip wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:26 am
i watched the pilot free on youtube when it came out. they offered it free and i was hooked. but when the rest of the show came out, it is a disgusting show about a mental case that occasionally uses kali linux. BFD yeah i stopped watching about the third episode.

welcome to mint, but this show shouldn't be recommended as a linux show but a psyco show
Well, it's definitely not a polite office drama show about people who happen to use Linux, I'll give you that! :lol: It's about mental illness, obsession, hacking, Evil Corporations, guilt, ideals, the betrayal of those ideals, the fragile nature of online business and the crushing loneliness of the modern world. But it also showed me that it was time to extract myself from expensive Apple Mac's and that another way was possible, even cool.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:57 am

Cool story. Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

trytip
Level 11
Level 11

Post by trytip » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:31 am

i have enough negativity in my everyday life and work, i do not need to see that when i try to relax with a tv show. i was like a kid in a candy store watching mr. robot pilot and waited eagerly for the next episode which only spiraled downwards into insanity.
at the end of the day what did you get out of this show? did you have a good feeling after watching it? or are you clinging to it by a thread simply because they seem to plaster a few terminal commands and use tor. they also use windows 7 in it but no one is jumping off they feet because of it :D

Eclipsenow+
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eclipsenow+ » Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:19 pm

There's a place for optimistic and upbeat entertainment, especially when you're down. But there is also a place in speculative fiction for exploring the risks to society, even on the edges. This is one of those warnings.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:09 pm

Welcome to the Forum. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Return to “Introduce yourself”