Hi everyone (^.^)/

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Kirara
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone (^.^)/

Post by Kirara » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:16 am

Hi everyone, this is Kirara

I switched to Linux Mint Cinnamon some two weeks ago.

With Windows 7 being discontinued soon and a questionable privacy strategy for Windows 10, there was no choice to me but to leave Microsoft.
As Apple and Google don't provide convincing solutions either, I decided to give Linux Mint a try. - Its developers seem to put a dedicated focus on staying independent and privacy friendly.

Starting computing with an Atari ST, I was using Microsoft since Windows 3.11.
The transition to Mint went easily and without any noticeable issues.
Among other sources, the website "Easy Linux Tips Project" was very informative to me.

It helped me a lot to switch to Thunderbird, Firefox and LibreOffice while still being on my Windows installation.
For being able to read old Windows backups and BitLocker drives, I keep running a minimal, internetless installation of Windows 7 within VirtualBox. Also I'm running ACDSee inside this installation.
Besides these exceptions I'm using Mint pretty much out of the box.
Printer, digital camera, and smartphone connection did work from the very start.

So far there is only one thing that probably could be improved.
Taken its importance, I think the backup concept of Mint could be a tick more obvious.
It probably would be good to have some unified user interface to configure Timeshift and Mint Backup and to understand that both are necessary.
Also I can imagine that some predefined daily/weekly/monthly schedule and a guided support to use encrypted external drives probably could be helpful to many users.

But again, I'm very happy I was able to find Linux Mint.
My sincere thanks go to everyone involved.

I'm looking very much forward to introduce Linux Mint to many more people around me.

All the best.

Moem
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Hi everyone (^.^)/

Post by Moem » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:58 am

Kirara wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:16 am
It helped me a lot to switch to Thunderbird, Firefox and LibreOffice while still being on my Windows installation.
Yes! That was an excellent idea... then you were already halfway there. And I bet you felt right at home in your new Mint installation with the familiar applications already waiting for you.
Welcome, it's great to have you on board!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Post by kc1di » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:18 am

Hello Kirara,
Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums, enjoy!
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:34 pm

Hello Kirara Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:43 pm

Hi Kirara,
welcome to our forum.
:)

there does seem to be an number of folks, that are not happy with the demise of that win-7 system.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:52 pm

Hi Kirara,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and it's excellent forum.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.
Kirara wrote:For being able to read old Windows backups and BitLocker drives, I keep running a minimal, internetless installation of Windows 7 within VirtualBox. Also I'm running ACDSee inside this installation. Besides these exceptions I'm using Mint pretty much out of the box. Printer, digital camera, and smartphone connection did work from the very start.
The Linux Mint systems are wonderful free secure operating systems with free long-term support. Most people can install Linux Mint in 16 minutes or less and be up and running using typical common computer tasks like email, word processing and other office type apps, playing music, viewing or editing pictures, etc...

FYI: There are many excellent Image editors and video editors available to install and use in Linux. There are many posts in this forum on these topics as well. If you can be more specific on what tasks you usually use ACDsee for, we can help you choose which application(s) you might consider trying.

read old Windows backups and BitLocker drives

Reading old Windows backups would depend on what you used to back them up with and how they are stored, but I would imagine you can do that in Linux without using Virtualbox or VMware. I would recommend installing the "p7zip-full" archiving package for archive files like zip, 7z, arc, etc... from the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)".

I don't know much about Bitlocker's encryption, but you can read them from your Linux computer without using Virtualbox or VMware. There are currently great encryption options available like "VeraCrypt", "Luks", and "SiriKali" which can use various encryption protocols.

How to Access a Bitlocker-Encrypted Windows Partition from Linux - Make Tech Easier
https://www.maketecheasier.com/access-b ... ion-linux/

How To Mount BitLocker-Encrypted Windows Partitions On Linux - Linux Uprising Blog
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/04/h ... ypted.html

How to open BitLocker drive on Ubuntu 18.04
http://www.bojankomazec.com/2019/04/how ... buntu.html

Kirara wrote:So far there is only one thing that probably could be improved. Taken its importance, I think the backup concept of Mint could be a tick more obvious. It probably would be good to have some unified user interface to configure Timeshift and Mint Backup and to understand that both are necessary. Also I can imagine that some predefined daily/weekly/monthly schedule and a guided support to use encrypted external drives probably could be helpful to many users.
You can use any backup methods and or backup applications that work with Linux file systems. Although I like the Timeshift snapshot application, like other snapshot applications it can eat up a lot of space quickly. Mint Backup is a nice application and there are others. There are some really good posts in this forum on recommended backup options and methods.

Previous post with good information.
Backups - best options - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=276859&hilit=FreeFileSync

search on backup
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ACY ... ws+backups

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Greencedar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Greencedar » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:00 am

Hello Kirara and welcome to the forum! :)
Greencedar

carlevans
Level 1
Level 1

Post by carlevans » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:15 am

Hi Kirara :)

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forum. I am Carl and am also a newbie on this forum.

Kirara
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Kirara » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:02 am

Hi all,

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome.
Pierre wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:43 pm
there does seem to be an number of folks, that are not happy with the demise of that win-7 system.
True Pierre.
Taken more Windows 7 users would know about Linux Mint as an option, I believe the potential for new Linux Mint users is in the tens of thousands right now.

phd21 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:52 pm
Hi Kirara,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and it's excellent forum.
Hope this helps ...
Thank you so much for taking the time to elaborate phd21.
This sure will help me to find appropriate solutions. (^.-)b

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:06 am

Hi Kirara,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:40 pm

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:11 pm

Welcome to the Forum. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Return to “Introduce yourself”