Greetings & Salutations

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Glitched
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings & Salutations

Post by Glitched » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:21 am

Hi everyone. About 10 yrs ago, within the first few days of class, my pc tech teacher puts a cd on my notebook in front of me. It's a burned cd labeled "Mint 4.0". I ask "what is it?" He says, "Just set your pc to boot from your optical drive, put that in, and boot up." Ever since then I've been an off again on again dual booter of Windows/GNU Linux. I just recently decided to upgrade my pc to something with an M.2 socket. I quickly found out that Windows 7 just wouldn't cut it anymore. I had always been unfavorable to the idea of upgrading to windows 10 but, after doing some reading I am now and forever vehemently opposed to ever installing Windows again. So for the last 2 weeks I have been testing various distros. Mint was immediately the best natural feel for me. I tried Cinnamon for a day, it was nice, but Mate is for me. Amongst the so many reasons why is my desire to have Compiz. It was a favorite of mine all those years ago, and still is to this day. So here I am again. I think it is poetic that my first introduction into the live boot linux world started with Mint and my determination to get away from windows also has brought me back to Mint. I'm sure I will come across loads of "how do I do this? or how do I do that?" scenarios (which I already have this last week) and I promise that I will use search engines, and this forums search index to the best of my ability. But sometimes you see the same title "How do I install 123 in xyz" 20 times in a row and all you really need is "How do I make 123 do this". So if in the future I ask about something specific, and it has already been covered, I'm sorry. I swear I tried to research first. Thank you all so very much. And cheers to the growing popularity of GNU/Linux.

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Greetings & Salutations

Post by kc1di » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:55 am

Hello Glitched,
Welcome to the wonderful world of mint, Mate is a good fit and Enjoy the Forums :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Post by Pierre » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:59 am

Hi Glitched ,
welcome to our forum.
:)

it was really nice of your pc tech teacher to give you a copy of Mint 4.0
8)
the LM project, has come a long way, since those days... do you still have that CD ?.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:22 am

Hello Glitched Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

Glitched
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Glitched » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:02 pm

[/quote] it was really nice of your pc tech teacher to give you a copy of Mint 4.0
8)
the LM project, has come a long way, since those days... do you still have that CD ?.
[/quote]

Nah, looking through my stack of disk, the oldest I still have is mint 7 and Ubuntu 7.10 and also ArkLinux 2007.1.

Greencedar
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Greencedar » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:45 pm

Greetings and hardly Salutations Glitched! :)
Greencedar

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:04 pm

Welcome to the Forum. :D :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Return to “Introduce yourself”