Newbie here

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
reelal
Level 1
Level 1

Newbie here

Post by reelal » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:10 pm

Hi folks, another newbie here looking to fire windows XP and move to Linux Mint. Am wondering if, when, I download Linux will it find and remember all my bookmarks and photos and will all this hardware function with Linux. Have read some and realize I might have to install new drivers, hope that's easy. Not much of a techie but I did build this computer however that's easy just mounting parts. Have a lot to learn because some of the anacronyms use are greek to me but time will help. Would you folks start wit mint18 or just go right on with the mint 19? Thanks for all replies.

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Newbie here

Post by Tomgin5 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:39 pm

You might try just installing the desired Mint as a dual boot and run a flash drive sneaker net to transfer the desired files. Make a backup of your Windex first if you wish.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:06 pm

Hello reelal Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

JerryF
Level 11
Level 11

Post by JerryF » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:01 pm

Welcome!
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:51 pm

Welcome to the Forum. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

kc1di
Level 14
Level 14

Post by kc1di » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:08 pm

Hello reelal,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, Enjoy!

You should back up all your important files before installing Mint and then you can reload them after the install. All your windows data will be overwritten if you choose to use the drive for Linux. You can also do a dual boot and leave windows on the drive and boot to either window or Mint at boot time. That would let you move files at your convenience until your familiar with Mint.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Introduce yourself”