YAI (Yet Another Introduction)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
bridnour
Level 1
Level 1

YAI (Yet Another Introduction)

Post by bridnour »

Hello Y'all:

I used to run Linux Mint, but for about the last year or so, I had the distro-hopping fever -- changing distros the way most people change socks.

The news that Mint 19.3 beta was released got me curious as to the state of my original distro, so I've returned.

So:

What I don't like:
- The button layout options have been reduced to either a "all left" (Mac) or "all right" (Traditional) switch. Since I like to have my close button on the left, and the minimize and maximize buttons on the right -- this is a step backward. Previously, I could do this setup within the system settings. Now, I have to fire up the dconf-editor.

What I like:
- Everything else.

I actually had been gravitating back toward Mint lately -- my last distro before now was Manjaro Cinnamon. However, when I accidently borked that setup (1D10T error), I decided that since I'm a fan of Cinnamon anyway, I'll return to Mint (should have never left).

Why Cinnamon?

It is a bit of a silly reason. My computer is in my bedroom. So, I use the lock screen as a clock when go to bed. Cinnamon a) gives me a lock screen clock and b) let's me set the font large enough to where I can read the time from across the room.

---

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: YAI (Yet Another Introduction)

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcom back.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Hello bridnour Image

Welcome back to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Welcome bridnour!
bridnour wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:23 am
Why Cinnamon?

It is a bit of a silly reason. My computer is in my bedroom. So, I use the lock screen as a clock when go to bed. Cinnamon a) gives me a lock screen clock and b) let's me set the font large enough to where I can read the time from across the room.
That's... an interesting reason for using Cinnamon :D
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

bridnour
Level 1
Level 1

Post by bridnour »

murray wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:53 pm
That's... an interesting reason for using Cinnamon :D
I know. However. in the end, it came down to that bit of silly reason to choose Cinnamon over my second choice -- Mate. (Which also runs on Mint! :wink:)

On the clock face:
1. XFCE and Mate both come close. If I can get the have found the right screensaver, I could live with either DE.
2. The lock screen on KDE can be "hacked" (there is a plain text qml file) to give any clock size. However, I can't keep KDE stable for some reason. (Probably one of those 1D10T errors.)
3. The lock screen on GNOME is close to what I want -- but I have to run GNOME. *bleh* :mrgreen:
4. Budgie and Deepin are nice looking DEs. However, I don't think their lock screens can do what I want. They also tend to be a bit limiting in other configuration options.
5. I've never used Pantheon, so I can't comment on it.

kc1di
Level 15
Level 15

Post by kc1di »

Hello bridnour,
Welcome back, enjoy the Forums.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

Welcome to the Forum. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Greencedar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Greencedar »

Glad that you came back! :D
Greencedar

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

Welcome!
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

Return to “Introduce yourself”