I'm Gunna Like This Place!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
maryqpoppins
Level 1
Level 1

I'm Gunna Like This Place!

Post by maryqpoppins »

My name is Craig and that is what I prefer to be called. Maryqpoppins is an anonymous handle I came up with years ago in an effort to shield myself on that nasty old internet. As a long time windows hater, I feel fortunate to be here. I just read all the rules and liked them! I have lurked on forums covering other interests and found many rude folks out there.

I am new to Linux, haven't even downloaded the ISO yet. I look forward to getting started with it on a dedicated drive for dual boot capability on a brand new machine that just arrived today. It sure would be nice to lose my dependence on windows once and for all. I want to get to know Linux inside and out. Judging from what I've already seen here, that may be a very real possibility. :D

Pierre
Level 19
Level 19

Re: I'm Gunna Like This Place!

Post by Pierre »

Hi Craig ,
welcome to our forum.
:)

there is lots of Ex Windows Users about this place.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve »

maryqpoppins wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:26 am
My name is Craig and that is what I prefer to be called. Maryqpoppins is an anonymous handle I came up with years ago in an effort to shield myself on that nasty old internet. As a long time windows hater, I feel fortunate to be here. I just read all the rules and liked them! I have lurked on forums covering other interests and found many rude folks out there.

I am new to Linux, haven't even downloaded the ISO yet. I look forward to getting started with it on a dedicated drive for dual boot capability on a brand new machine that just arrived today. It sure would be nice to lose my dependence on windows once and for all. I want to get to know Linux inside and out. Judging from what I've already seen here, that may be a very real possibility. :D
Welcome aboard the Crazy Train, Craig! :lol:

The LM team is in the final stages of putting out LinuxMint 19.3 Tricia, which is the latest version of LM. You are certainly welcome to download the beta release of 19.3, and while it generally appears to be pretty stable (I'm running it right now as an installed copy on a 2011 Apple MacBook Pro 13") there's always a chance there could be an issue here or there with different hardware. But, give it a whirl because it is a fairly significant improvement, being on the whole quite a bit snappier than prior 19.x releases.

Also, please be sure to check out LM user Pjotr's Easy Linux Tips Project because, particularly if you're using a modern SSD in your shiny new computer, this will help you ensure you protect it from excessive wear. Also, his overall set of guides are pretty amazing.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Know when what you're doing is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, and STOP.

Still looking for a new job.

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Well shuckins, another Craig in the mix :)

I too like to use a username for the 'net that does not tie directly into me personally.

I'm still tied into the past with Win7 on a big Desktop,
Win10 on this new hardware laptop with dual SSD slots, and the 2nd slot has LM 19.3 beta on it...

I am so impressed with 19.3 over 19.1 ( which I tried and threw out with the dishwater ) because 18.3 Cinnamon was so complete and like the Windows Desktop Environment, it did not take a lot of effort to start using Linux Mint for me.

As you get sucked in, you will yearn for the Windows Command Line, and in Linux "terminal" provides us with total control... you will love it.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

trytip
Level 12
Level 12

Post by trytip »

you suck no one wants you here go back to where you came from
hopefully you see my hello and welcome down here he he :D if not i'm in big doo doo

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

trytip, what im hoping is a "disclamer" with a smiley face is unreadable, font is too small...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi maryqpoppins,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, 256gb SDD, only Intel 4 Graphics. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AZgl1500 »

trytip wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:46 am
you suck no one wants you here go back to where you came from
hopefully you see my hello and welcome down here he he :D if not i'm in big doo doo
what I have been doing of late, when the supplied emoticons just simply are not good enough,
is to use the emoticons that I have found at
https://www.picgifs.com/emoticons/applause

and their starting point is here: https://www.picgifs.com/emoticons
Which gives us a huge list to select from.

then I click on an emoticon and choose the link they suggest for forums.
and this might have been a good for the above comment.

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

kc1di
Level 15
Level 15

Post by kc1di »

Hello maryqpoppins,
Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums, Enjoy :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

maryqpoppins
Level 1
Level 1

Post by maryqpoppins »

Thanks to all for the warm welcome and the tips. I will definitely try out the mint 19.3. I'm pulling some other resources together now in preparation for mint. I am aware of the wear issue on SSD's and always looking to learn more. I opened the SSD project tip in a new tab and will be reading it next. I got a kick out of Trytip's post after pulling out my telescope to read the fine print. That was some pretty good humor, kind of like reading a EULA but much shorter. Speaking of humor, I've got one for ya:

Q: What did the fish say when he swam into a wall?
A: He said "Dam!" :lol:

AZgl1500
Level 12
Level 12

Post by AZgl1500 »

maryqpoppins wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:41 pm
Thanks to all for the warm welcome and the tips. I will definitely try out the mint 19.3. I'm pulling some other resources together now in preparation for mint. I am aware of the wear issue on SSD's and always looking to learn more. I opened the SSD project tip in a new tab and will be reading it next. I got a kick out of Trytip's post after pulling out my telescope to read the fine print. That was some pretty good humor, kind of like reading a EULA but much shorter. Speaking of humor, I've got one for ya:

Q: What did the fish say when he swam into a wall?
A: He said "Dam!" :lol:
just leave a small partition unallocated at the end of the SSD, it will be used automatically to replace "bad bits" if/when one occurs.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Welcome to the fold, Craig!
maryqpoppins wrote:
My name is Craig and that is what I prefer to be called. Maryqpoppins is an anonymous handle I came up with years ago in an effort to shield myself on that nasty old internet.
Yeah, I really didn't consider that when I registered as a user here... :?
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

Welcome to the Forum. Image

Unfortunately there are Rude people everywhere...especially on Forums but you'll find them in the minority here...just ignore them. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens »

Hi Craig, I'm one of the rude people who ignore most of the posts on any forum. When I saw your username, I guessed that you might have young kids or grandchildren who liked Miss Poppins. I've certainly seen it more than once over the years. Welcome to the "dark side" :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Craig Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

Greencedar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Greencedar »

Hello Craig and welcome to the forum. :D
Greencedar

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

maryqpoppins wrote:
My name is Craig and
I am new to Linux, haven't even downloaded the ISO yet. I look forward to getting started with it on a dedicated drive for dual boot capability on a brand new machine that just arrived today.
Craig hi,

Welcome, Have you got the download yet ?
My only regret was that I didn't got going with linux sooner.

As I understand it the best way to dual-boot is with separate drives.
I Just set up a system like that today. I got another new / USED laptop, that came with an activated copy of win10Pro on it. I'm pretty much a windows hater myself, this is my first experience with win10. I swore I'd never use win8, and didn't. Was sure I'd never use win10, but new drives are cheap now, and never is a looong time. So thought I'd keep the drive, installed another SSD for Linux. Being that it (win10) is a "pro" version I have the updates turned completely off.

Win10 is on HDD0, and Mint is on HDD1, changed BIOS to make HDD1 higher priority than HDD0.
Booted Linux, ran sudo update-grub
Re-booted to grub menu, and everything works as expected.
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

Welcome Craig!

P.S. Craig is one of my favorite names.
IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts.

Undercover Rabbit
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Undercover Rabbit »

Code: Select all

\  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\
                ||----w |
                ||     ||
Insert clever 3.5 inch signature here.

Return to “Introduce yourself”