brand new to Mint - trying to figure things out one thing at a time

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
coffeeking
Level 1
Level 1

brand new to Mint - trying to figure things out one thing at a time

Post by coffeeking »

Hello everyone. Am currently trying to figure out how to get Linux Mint to see and use my Multifunction wireless Brother printer. If anyone has advice (good, experienced advice preferred! :D ) please send it my way! Thanks.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: brand new to Mint - trying to figure things out one thing at a time

Post by Moem »

Hello and welcome! I advise you to start a thread in the Printers & Scanners subforum; not all members look at the chat section. Please include some information about your printer model, your system, and what you have tried so far. Cheers!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

lsemmens
Level 9
Level 9

Post by lsemmens »

Hi, coffeeking, moem is one of our respected members, please take her advice. :D
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

coffeeking
Level 1
Level 1

Post by coffeeking »

Thank you, Moem and Isemmens, for your replies and information. I wasn't sure where to post this, but thought that, as a complete novice, the safest bet was to post it in Introduce Yourself. I will know better next time where to post a request for help like this. I have very good news, however! Namely that I contacted the printer manufacturer, Brother, and, lo and behold, they were able to get my printer working in Mint!! I wasn't sure at first whether this printer would even be supported in linux, but it is, and it works great! I would recommend Brother printers to everyone. I've had this multifunction printer for 7 years and it has done everything I could have expected it to do! I'm guessing that possibly not all printer manufacturers support linux as Brother does (but of course i'm not sure about that).

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

That's good news, indeed! Isn't it great when things turn out a lot less problematic than you thought they would? :D
'Introduce yourself' is a good place to say hello to us so that we can welcome you; it's in the Chat section of the board, which is where people can post things that aren't support questions. All Support questions should go under 'Main edition support' or 'Debian edition support'; within each, there is a 'Newbie questions' subforum and I bet you can guess what it's meant for.

Enjoy your printer, and enjoy the Mint! 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH »

Brother is one of the 'better' printer suppliers with generally excellent linux support. I've been using them for a decade.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

kc1di
Level 15
Level 15

Post by kc1di »

Hello coffeeking,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, enjoy :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Portreve
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Portreve »

coffeeking wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:13 pm
I'm guessing that possibly not all printer manufacturers support linux as Brother does (but of course i'm not sure about that).
Well, let's expand this a bit further beyond the world of printers. It is a sad fact that manufacturers oftentimes do not support GNU+Linux. However, that it's GNU+Linux is itself technically incidental (with some qualifications to this statement) because hardware manufacturers basically support a given platform (i.e. the operating system in question) based on two factors:
  1. The population is large enough to make it profitable to try and sell into it (and therefore bothering to support it); and/or
  2. They are paid by the OS manufacturer (in some manner) to support their OS.
Some hardware manufacturers are nicer than others, and either give support to, or at least don't interfere with, the GNU+Linux community getting their hardware to work. On the other hand, some manufacturers either deliberately interfere or they withhold critical support which, in some cases, effectively stymies anyone else's efforts at getting their hardware to work. If they withhold support, or if they deliberately prevent support, most of the time this is done because they feel there's certain bits they've created which add specific value and that they would make themselves vulnerable to their competitors if they allowed anyone to see how those capabilities are actually implemented. In other cases, they simply wish to maintain a so-called "walled garden" for whatever reasons they happen to have.

Very, very broadly speaking (from, like, "the 10,000 foot view") most types of hardware belong to bands, or broad categories, of device types, oftentimes with similar internal components. Within a given manufacturer's range of products, often the controller chips and other relevant bits are either identical or nearly identical across a given range of product. In these cases, getting any one of the devices in question to work often means other seemingly unrelated hardware will also start to work.

So, for instance, let's say HP makes a range of office printing hardware called "Smith" (unimaginative, I know, but I'm trying to keep this simple and generic) and within the Smith range of products, of which let's say there's 10 distinct models, 8 of them use the same chipset and the other two use something else. The chipset is common, but they enable certain capabilities on all of those 8, and then some others on 2 and different others on 6. Once the community (with or without HP's help) manages to figure out the baseline functionality, all 8 of those devices will work, and for example printing will be fully supported across all of them. Once the scanning process is figured out, the six with scanners will also work, and so forth.

But, the other other two devices have chipsets which are significantly different, and maybe they're not as common as the others, so the community hasn't had the exposure to them that they've had to the other eight, and so those two devices won't have any community support. At that point, it's basically up to HP to decide whether they want to support them in GNU+Linux or not.

In a manner of speaking, the above-described scenario is similar to what one might find within the Mac OS X world. There's any number of devices made which are not and never will be supported (or work) in Mac OS X, and they're also at something of a disadvantage because just the strictly Mac OS X community itself does not enjoy the same kind of quantity and demographic of largely enthusiast developers that the libre software community (i.e. "the GNU+Linux community") does.
Please be polite and remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Presently running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Know when what you're doing is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, and STOP.

Still looking for a new job.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

Welcome to the Forum. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Greencedar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Greencedar »

Hi coffeeking and welcome to the forum. :)
Greencedar

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Post by deepakdeshp »

WElcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Welcome, and above all: have fun! :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Return to “Introduce yourself”