Recently migrated.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
BobPeters61
Level 1
Level 1

Recently migrated.

Post by BobPeters61 »

Just realized I hadn't introduced myself here, so I guess it's past time to do so.

For the past few years, I've been mainly using Windows and fooling around with Linux, mostly Ubuntu, in dual-boot setups off and on, and got to a decent novice proficiency with Linux, despite being put off with the "unique personalities" that used to dominate all Linux forums, even Ubuntu's.

Recently, after getting more and more aggravated at Microsoft's increasing invasiveness built in to Windows, I reached my last straw with Windows 10 and I'm done with them. And decided that I liked Cinnamon Mint best of Linux distros I've tried.

A couple months in now, and so far so good. Getting used to Gimp rather than Adobe Elements, and liking Kdenlive for the video editor I keep thinking I'll put to use for a YouTube presence I may never get around to building. I never could find a WYSIWYG website builder in the repositories and have found only one with a good Linux version for sale, and it has a steeper learning curve than the one I had been using, but I managed to soldier through there.

All in all, this is a much better experience now than I could be having on the spyware that Windows has become. Glad to say that I'm no longer a customer of Microsoft nor of Adobe.

deck_luck
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Recently migrated.

Post by deck_luck »

Welcome aboard. :D
🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE 💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Recently Migrated ???...We dont have any adverse immigration laws here so "Welcomen" to Linux MInt land, A multicultural nation that is welcoming to all newcomers...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

Hi BobPeters61,
welcome to our forum.
:)

it's great, that you finally made it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

Welcome!
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

BobPeters61
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BobPeters61 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:37 am
Recently Migrated ???...We dont have any adverse immigration laws here so "Welcomen" to Linux MInt land, A multicultural nation that is welcoming to all newcomers...DAMIEN
Yeah, a lot of the You Tube videos about the subject use the term "migrating to Linux" as sort of a process of getting familiar with it and used to FOS apps rather than the ones associated with Windows or Mac, etc.

Probably my biggest thing in that regard is that I was already using Firefox and Thunderbird as my go-to browser and email client anyhow.

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

Bob hi,

and welcome.
I reached my last straw back in vista days, ms was using (hogging) more of "my" computer than I was.

Anyway, about a WYSIWYG, when you get a hosting plan it will come with one of those. I had a website for ten years.
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Welcome to the forum Bob!
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stephanieswitzer »

Hi Bob.

Welcome to the land of Mint. It's a great community with a wealth of experience and knowledge, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. Over the years I gone from Microsoft, to Red Hat, SuSE, MacOS, and now Mint, and I have to admit that I'm enjoying Mint more than all the others.

Again Welcome aboard.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2, 8 GiB,

MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz, 8 GiB.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Not to hijack here, but i now see that you are back with us stephanieswitzer...i, for one missed you in your abscence...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stephanieswitzer »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:13 pm
Not to hijack here, but i now see that you are back with us stephanieswitzer...i, for one missed you in your abscence...DAMIEN
Thanks Damien...

And now back to your regular scheduled program :D
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2, 8 GiB,

MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz, 8 GiB.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

OOOOOH Great...more ITV TV, like Murdock Mysteries and Brit TV like Midsomer Murders, or even like the Aussies Brokenwood Murder mysteries or even the old Blueheelers...I gave up on American TV ages ago, especially since they have decided viewers needed to have a "voiceover" of what was going on, even though it was obvious if your watching...i refuse to watch anything on TV now that does this...i can now longer watch my 2 American favs, because they do this...NCIS and Jeopardy...lol...DAMIEN

This one got my attention during Jeopardy the other night..."he moves his arm upwards and tilts his head"...Who is the MORON that thought we all needed this inserted narrative, in order to "enhance" our enjoyment and understanding of any particular TV program...lol.

Ps...Thank God for streaming boxes like Roku using Acorn TV and Amazon Prime to release us from this new age "voiceover" crap that implies that we need interpretation and blow by blow narrative of whats happening.

Ok...back to our previously scheduled program.
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ORDO AB CHAO

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:35 pm
... the Aussies Brokenwood Murder mysteries ...
Blasphemy! The Brokenwood Mysteries are made in New Zealand, not Australia. I recognise many of the places where they film it since I'm a Kiwi.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Mia culpa, mia culpa...I thought it was Aussie...lol...i keep confusing N.S.W., Victoria, etc. with NZ, The Kiwi's...lol...lol...DAMIEN

Ps...you have got to admit though, that i have good taste in what i watch...lol...What do i know...im just a dumb, "colonial" in the "Americas"...lol.
ORDO AB CHAO

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

That's ok, I'll let you off with a warning this time, just because you have such good taste in TV programmes (although I would have thought the lack of kangaroos and things that can kill you such as snakes, crocodiles, spiders, etc would have been a hint) :D

New Zealand and Australia have a friendly rivalry and we're always joking with each other over who owns what things or came up with an idea first.

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Hi murray,
Be careful here, you are fastly becoming one of my favourite people here in the forums...you just might become ostracised by others here because of this...lol...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ORDO AB CHAO

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Tie me kangaroo down sport...lol...DAMIEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lofgud4wLLo

Land down under:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfR9iY5y94s
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ORDO AB CHAO

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:24 pm
Hi murray,
Be careful here, you are fastly becoming one of my favourite people here in the forums...you just might become ostracised by others here because of this...lol...DAMIEN
Ah yes, I forgot that some Aussie's hang out here too. I'm sure they'll fire back with something, but we all know it's just all good fun and not to be taken seriously! :D

DAMIEN1307
Level 9
Level 9

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Im not just talking about just the Aussies...lol...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO

Return to “Introduce yourself”