Lifetime Windows user.. damned if I'm gonna use Windows 10!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
andy_85
Level 1
Level 1

Lifetime Windows user.. damned if I'm gonna use Windows 10!

Post by andy_85 »

Hi!

I'm from Ireland and have switched to Linux for the first time just the other day. I've been using Windows since 3.1 / DOS; but between having a growing number of driver issues on Windows 7 on a laptop that originally came with Windows 8, and the fact that I can't stand Windows 10 I figured Windows as an OS has reached a dead-end for me.

I have in the past tried a few Linux installations, only to go back to Windows after a couple of days. This time I'm going all-in with Linux, and don't even have Windows on another partition. It's the only way I'm going to truly make the transition. After a small bit of research I figured Linux Mint was the right distro for me. My first impressions.... I'm liking it. I feel it has a lot of potential as I learn more about how it ticks, and the endless flexibility and customisation it offers.

Windows had a good run but I'm so glad there was another viable option out there, with great community support, and a free, open-source philosophy. Oh and as for driver support on this laptop.. everything just works!
HP Pavilion g6
Kubuntu 19.10
Linux Kernel: 5.3.0-26-generic
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Lifetime Windows user.. damned if I'm gonna use Windows 10!

Post by Pierre »

Hi andy,
welcome to our forum.
:)

everything on this forum, is green, as like yourself, it's also Irish.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Lady Fitzgerald
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Lady Fitzgerald »

Dia Dhuit! Cead mile failte (and that pretty much exhausts my Irish, other than an unsavory expression or two)!

I feel the same way about all of Microsoft. Win 7 was their best OS until MS started issuing frequently broken updates and updates that included spyware and nagware. I'll miss Microsoft...about as much as I would miss a root canal without anesthesia.
Jeannie

Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit
System 76 Serval WS (serw11) 17" Laptop
andy_85
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andy_85 »

Pierre wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:14 am
Hi andy,
welcome to our forum.
:)

everything on this forum, is green, as like yourself, it's also Irish.
Thanks for the welcome. Yes I heard that alright!

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:14 am
Dia Dhuit! Cead mile failte (and that pretty much exhausts my Irish, other than an unsavory expression or two)!

I feel the same way about all of Microsoft. Win 7 was their best OS until MS started issuing frequently broken updates and updates that included spyware and nagware. I'll miss Microsoft...about as much as I would miss a root canal without anesthesia.
Dia is muire duit, go raibh míle maith agat!

Yeah it really felt like Windows 7 had deteriorated over the last few years. Especially when installing it on newer PCs designed for the more recent versions of Windows. And with End of Support coming tomorrow and Windows 10 being an absolute no-go, it was time to find an alternative. Besides, my phone and satellite box already run versions of Linux, so might as well go the whole hog!

Totally agree with you on Windows 7, and don't even get me started on the issues with Windows 10! That's a topic for another thread as I could write a bleedin' essay on the matter!
HP Pavilion g6
Kubuntu 19.10
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Welcome from Godzone. You'll find more than a few refugees here.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

Welcome to the Mint forums.

I said the same thing about win8, never gonna use it, and I never have.

It was kind of implied that I'd never use Win10 either, but I just got another new (used) laptop that came with an activated win10 pro on it. Well HDDS are getting cheaper, and I had a few new SSDs just sitting here, so rather than throw it (win10) away, I just stuck in another drive with mint19. I can boot win10 (which has the updates completely shut off) if I ever need to. I mean "never" is a long time.

As far as "just works", don't know what brand of laptop you have, but that has pretty much been my experience too. Not counting my first over-heating issue with a pretty old acer, which got fixed with just one small line of code > injected.
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Welcome to the forum Andy!
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
Konaan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Konaan »

Hello Andy. I am new myself, but wanted to comment on a fellow "old timer". I started when Dos 3.0 came out and still have every Microsoft OS since Dos 6.22. I still go down memory lane once in awhile. Win 3.1 frustrates me though because my right mouse button doesn't want to work!! lol
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
AZgl1500
Level 14
Level 14
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

I have an original, Licensed 5 user CD for Windows 7 Professional.

Over the years, I have used it maybe twice, and never licensed it to M$...

out of the blue, a while back, I tried to restore Win7 on an old PC, OFF the Internet mind you.

and it refused to accept the printed License # that is on the CD label.

Apparently, M$ encoded an end of use date in the CD rom.....
so, I back dated the PC to when I bought that CD.

it still refuses to let me get past the License entry, saying that it is "not valid".
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Talor
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Talor »

Greetings from another new convert. I am in a similar boat as you, except using a desktop, and I pulled my SSD with my Windows 7 install and set it aside, just in case. I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon on New Year's Eve day and have been enjoying it ever since. The only thing I really miss about Windows is Media Center, but I'd have lost that if I'd upgraded to 10 anyway.

I love how stuff "just works" on Mint, but I also like getting to know how stuff works. That's pretty much all I did with DOS and early Windows- no real applications, just wanted to know how they tick. Now I have a whole new adventure ahead of me.

Enjoy!
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:22 am
I have an original, Licensed 5 user CD for Windows 7 Professional.

Over the years, I have used it maybe twice, and never licensed it to M$...

out of the blue, a while back, I tried to restore Win7 on an old PC, OFF the Internet mind you.

and it refused to accept the printed License # that is on the CD label.

Apparently, M$ encoded an end of use date in the CD rom.....
so, I back dated the PC to when I bought that CD.

it still refuses to let me get past the License entry, saying that it is "not valid".
Just a thought, W7 is fussy about which version the license is for, so if you try to use a Pro disk with a Home license, it will swear at you. You MUST use a disk for the version with which you have the license code for. An OEM license makes it even worse, and people wonder why we use Linux? :mrgreen:
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

The end of Windows 7 is a good opportunity for desktop Linux.... Not as good as the golden chance we had in 2014, with the demise of Windows XP, but still a good opportunity. :)

Welcome, andy_85! Above all: have fun with your Linux.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
andy_85
Level 1
Level 1

Post by andy_85 »

Pjotr wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:28 am
The end of Windows 7 is a good opportunity for desktop Linux.... Not as good as the golden chance we had in 2014, with the demise of Windows XP, but still a good opportunity. :)

Welcome, andy_85! Above all: have fun with your Linux.
Thanks! I would actually consider Windows 7 EOL to be an even bigger opportunity for people to switch to desktop Linux than the demise of XP. I loved XP, then Windows 7 came along and it was a great OS too. They were both quite similar. Then Microsoft went in a completely different direction with the release of Windows 8 and 10 which I never liked. It's mad because only a few years ago I would have never considered using Linux at all. As I said, I tried it once or twice in the past but more so as a curiosity. So in the last few months I was thinking; what is actually keeping me on Windows? And why should I be forced to use Windows 10 when I clearly hate the thing? So then I was like, boom, Linux!! As far as software is concerned the only Windows program that I will not switch away from is Foobar2000; so I installed it via Wine and it works perfectly (apart from context menu integration and global hotkeys - I'm still trying to work on a solution). I'm not a massive gamer, so most software I have already found alternatives for, and for everything else there's Wine.

Talor wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:19 pm
Greetings from another new convert. I am in a similar boat as you, except using a desktop, and I pulled my SSD with my Windows 7 install and set it aside, just in case. I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon on New Year's Eve day and have been enjoying it ever since. The only thing I really miss about Windows is Media Center, but I'd have lost that if I'd upgraded to 10 anyway.

I love how stuff "just works" on Mint, but I also like getting to know how stuff works. That's pretty much all I did with DOS and early Windows- no real applications, just wanted to know how they tick. Now I have a whole new adventure ahead of me.

Enjoy!

Yeah this time I decided I was done with Windows and wanted to make a serious delve into the world of Linux. So I purposely didn't keep Windows on a separate partition. I really just didn't need Windows anymore, even as a 'backup OS, just in case'.

That's how I've always used my computers too.. I liked to find out what was behind the scenes and how things worked too. But it is nice being able to install an OS and have everything 'just work'. Especially after coming from a Windows PC with endless driver problems.

Konaan wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:00 pm
Hello Andy. I am new myself, but wanted to comment on a fellow "old timer". I started when Dos 3.0 came out and still have every Microsoft OS since Dos 6.22. I still go down memory lane once in awhile. Win 3.1 frustrates me though because my right mouse button doesn't want to work!! lol
I still have nostalgic memories of using Windows 3.1 on a 12 MHz B&W Compaq LTE 286 laptop, with 4 MB of RAM and like a 40 MB HDD. The mad thing is that I was using it as my main and only PC right up to 2004! I did all my school projects on it and played Prince of Persia to death! Good times!

rickNS wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:16 pm
Welcome to the Mint forums.

I said the same thing about win8, never gonna use it, and I never have.

It was kind of implied that I'd never use Win10 either, but I just got another new (used) laptop that came with an activated win10 pro on it. Well HDDS are getting cheaper, and I had a few new SSDs just sitting here, so rather than throw it (win10) away, I just stuck in another drive with mint19. I can boot win10 (which has the updates completely shut off) if I ever need to. I mean "never" is a long time.

As far as "just works", don't know what brand of laptop you have, but that has pretty much been my experience too. Not counting my first over-heating issue with a pretty old acer, which got fixed with just one small line of code > injected.
Yeah as soon as Windows 8 came along I think the writing was on the wall for my Windows usage.

As per my sig I'm using a HP Pavilion g6 from around 2011. AMD A8 / Radeon Graphics, 8 GB of RAM. The only driver issue I had was the Bluetooth one. And it took me less than 5 minutes to fix it.

lsemmens wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:56 am
Welcome from Godzone. You'll find more than a few refugees here.
Cheers. Yeah hopefully anyway, I think Linux has a great philosophy and has become far more user-friendly in recent years (although installing applications is still not always for the faint-hearted). If only it had better software support for gamers etc, maybe it would start hitting a critical mass and take off big time.

I actually don't know why I didn't explore the world of Linux sooner as I love poking around and customising stuff and all that (also my reason for choosing Android over iOS).

When I was researching what distro to install it was a close toss up between Mint and Manjaro. I'm actually getting itchy to try out Manjaro now (partially because of it's Dolphin File Manager and its Arch User Repository which sounds like a pretty big benefit).
HP Pavilion g6
Kubuntu 19.10
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Hello andy Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage
Konaan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Konaan »

Till 2004 eh? I didn't use my Packard Bell 33 MHz SX with 4MB (upgraded from 2 for $600), and 20MB hdd for that long. It was close to 2000 though. By then it had a Pentium overdrive CPU and 40MB drive in it. Think the ram stayed the same though.
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Return to “Introduce yourself”