Yet Another W7 Refugee

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Eric P
Level 1
Level 1

Yet Another W7 Refugee

Post by Eric P »

Hi, I installed Linux Mint a couple of weeks ago. I am, as many people are, yet another Windows 7 refugee who refuses to switch to Windows 10. I have concluded that I need to transition more completely to Linux now that W7 is past its end-of-support limit.

I have a long computer history: Started with 8-bit CP/M and ZCPR, moved to DOS and 4DOS, then Windows 3.x, 95, 98, NT, XP, and 7. Installed 4DOS/NDOS/Take Command at different times on all the above. Then I learned about Cygwin and have used it for about 20 years. I refused to make the jump to Windows 8.x or Windows 10, as I hate to be merchandised. For about three or 4 years I had a Wang terminal connection to two or three Unix variants (SCO Xenix System V, Unixware, Slackware), and I became so delighted with command-line Unix tools that I installed as many free Unix tools as I could find in my Windows machine(s), which were sometimes desktops and sometimes laptops.

I tried two or three Unix distros first using Oracle VM Virtualbox, but did not use them on a regular basis and was not happy with the fonts, frames, and overall appearance on the monitors. As the end-of-support day for Windows 7 approached, I repartitioned the HDD on my desktop PC, and tried Mageia Linux for three or four weeks. Mageia was nice, but Mageia did not support a Linux app I really wanted (Bible Analyzer), so I deleted Mageia and got one that would: Linux Mint.

I'm really comfortable with command-line tools and bash/ksh shell scripting, as this is part of my job at work. Feel free to ask me about that, if you want. I like free software, Wikipedia, Perl, and things like that.

However, I'm sort of new to the Ubuntu/Mint ways of doing things, and I realize that there is a lot that I have to learn. So I thought I would say hello, and introduce myself.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Yet Another W7 Refugee

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Eric Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

Welcome!
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Welcome to the forum Eric!
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

Eric P
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Eric P »

Thanks to all who responded. My computer is set up for dual-boot, but it defaults to LM, which I'm using most of the time now.

stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stephanieswitzer »

Welcome to the land of mint
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2, 8 GiB,

MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz, 8 GiB.

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello Eric P,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, enjoy :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Return to “Introduce yourself”