Three Strikes and Second Round

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Second Round
Level 1
Level 1

Three Strikes and Second Round

Post by Second Round »

I first used Linux Mint about 10-11 years ago when I thought my Win XP machine was dying ... I set up a dual boot, thinking I had nothing to lose at that point. Turns out it was just the monitor that was dying, but it gave me a taste of Linux. That worked for awhile, but within a year or so the computer really did die (motherboard) so I moved on to a Windows 7 tower.

Three things in the last month combined to lead me back to Mint for a second round:

1. W7 End of Support
2. Avast Jumpshot
3. Thunderbird monetization

In the last few years I've been dabbling in Linux indirectly, as I've been a fan of the Raspberry Pi. As a matter of curiosity, I went about to see how much of my W7 daily desktop use I could do on the Pi. I was really surprised to find that I could do almost all of it, right down to wireless printing. I've also been working on learning the Linux command line on the Pi, and it's already paid off in solving an annoying file sorting problem that I had with the music on my car's USB flash drive. I feel this work with the Pi will help smooth my transition to Linux.

My tower now dual boots with W7 and Mint, and I'm trying to minimize use of the former. There are two remaining uses for Windows in my case. Although my scanner (Epson 3490) works in Linux (amazingly - didn't think it would), I do prefer the Windows-based scanning software (Epson Scan) included, which is reported not to run in Wine. Epson Scan is really intuitive and has just the right feature set and defined configurations I need for a scanner. The other is podcast management, esp. with my MP3 player, and I had set that up to be nearly fully automated in MediaMonkey. [I did install MediaMonkey under Wine, but it didn't quite work. It would not play the downloaded episodes; I never even got to the point of checking if it could sync to my MP3 player.]

Regardless, I cannot see going back to Windows again, esp. given what it has apparently become. I can see going to Apple before going back to Windows. Hopefully neither will be necessary. Privacy, security, control - seems like Linux is a better place to be.
WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Three Strikes and Second Round

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Second Round Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello Second Round,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, Enjoy :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Second Round
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Second Round »

Thanks in advance for all the tech help I'm sure I'll need!
AndyMH
Level 14
Level 14

Post by AndyMH »

For the windows stuff you can't find a suitable alternative for, you can always run win7 in a VM (virtualbox). Alternatively, there is a commercial version of wine - crossover, with better support for more apps (and generally good tech support). And I think easier to use than wine. Not free, but you can try it for free. I use both. As a hangover from my windows days I use VueScan for scanning under linux, again not free, but what I'm used to.

Didn't understand the "Thunderbird monetization", used it for years but switched to evolution for my email/calendar about two years ago.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
Second Round
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Second Round »

AndyMH wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:42 am
Didn't understand the "Thunderbird monetization", used it for years but switched to evolution for my email/calendar about two years ago.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/mozilla-m ... ubsidiary/

Mrs. Second Round is on Evolution & IMAP now for her account; I am on Claws and POP.
Loved Thunderbird & Lightning for many years, but the above news concerns me - they're keeping it free, but monetizing it, so I infer advertising and data harvesting is in the works. No thanks, I'll switch (and have).
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U

Return to “Introduce yourself”