New explorer in Linux Land

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Cennet_13
Level 1
Level 1

New explorer in Linux Land

Post by Cennet_13 »

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking, reading the forum for months and decided it's time to jump in. I'm yet another Windows 7 refugee. Been using computers since the days of Wordperfect 5.1 (practically DOS based). Remember when the OS came on 26+ floppy discs. My first personal computer was an old IBM, my next had all of 4meg RAM and a 40meg hard drive. Done Win 4.2, 95, 98, XP (which I loved) and Win 7, but I flatly refuse to do Win 10, so here I am.

I did have a try out of live sessions on Puppy Linux and Knoppix, even burnt my own ISO's for those, but could never get the internet to work, that was about 10 years ago. Mint was just making waves then and now it's a fully fledged rival to MS I'm keen to give it a go.

Decided to support the project, and save myself the hassle of burning ISO's, I purchased a bundle of Mint flavours from the Linux shop. I've done the prep - backed up everything on a seperate USB expansion drive. I'm about to try out all the different desktops in Mint, in live sessions, to see which I like best. No doubt I'll be on here asking loads of questions before I commit to a proper install, but feeling excited to be going on a new journey at 71.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: New explorer in Linux Land

Post by Moem »

Hello and welcome! I don't think the Linux Shop supports Mint financially... but you can always do that later, if you like, by donating directly.
Feel free to ask questions, that's what we're here for!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Racer-X-
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Racer-X- »

Moem wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:27 am
Hello and welcome! I don't think the Linux Shop supports Mint financially... but you can always do that later, if you like, by donating directly.
Feel free to ask questions, that's what we're here for!
Is there a place on the linuxmint.com home page to buy a USB drive with mint ISO(s) on it ready to boot?

Or should the question be, why isn't there a place on the linuxmint.com home page to buy a USB drive with mint ISO(s) on it ready to boot?

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

There is no such place.
The answer is probably: because no one affiliated with Mint is currently doing that. And if you want to know why, you'd have to ask the developers, because we users don't know.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Cennet_13 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr »

Welcome! On old computers your best choice is probably the lightweight Xfce edition of Linux Mint.

Above all: have fun! :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

Racer-X-
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Racer-X- »

Cennet_13 wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:33 am
I'm about to try out all the different desktops in Mint, in live sessions, to see which I like best. No doubt I'll be on here asking loads of questions before I commit to a proper install, but feeling excited to be going on a new journey at 71.
Knowing what hardware you have would be helpful to anyone trying to make any recommendations.

If you can open a terminal window (ctrl-alt-T will do it, even in a live session) and enter the command inxi -Fxxz. Then copy all the output from that and post it back in a reply here. Use the "</>" button above the text editor box when you reply to put "code" and "/code" tags in and paste your output between the two tags.

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

Welcome Cennet! Yes, the good old days of Wordperfect (and even WordStart with its Ctrl+K command) and having to change floppies while using dBASE.

I recently switched a friend over to Mint from Windows 7. He didn't like 10, so I gave him a sample of what Mint was and he said, "As long as it does what I need it to do, I'm fine with it."

Enjoy your journey through the different flavors of Mint!
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums, Enjoy!
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Cennet_13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cennet_13 »

Thank you all for the welcome messages.

Racer-X- thanks for the code, I just tried it in a live session of XFCE, unfortunately I couldn't manage to log into the forum, it kept rejecting my password. I'm back in Windows 7 now, where firefox saved my password. I was using the correct one, so don't know what happened there. Never mind, I'm not quite up for a proper install yet, but when I do I will post my specs.

Return to “Introduce yourself”