An old newcomer

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Spennsa
Level 1
Level 1

An old newcomer

Post by Spennsa »

Hi all.
I'm from the UK or more particularly from Wales. I've just installed Mint Cinnamon a few days ago and now I'm introducing myself to the community.
I have used Windows from around the early 1990s and currently using windows 10 on a desktop PC having traveled through all its iterations. Not to irritate anyone on this forum, I've got to say that I'm very happy using Windows and unless something strange happens in my Linux adventure I will probably continue with that OS on my main PC.

So you might ask why I have installed Mint? A few years ago I bought an ASUS 1225 Netbook to use on my travels which also had Windows installed. Originally Windows 7 and then upgraded to Windows 10. The problem has been not that it's old but that the hardware just isn't powerful enough and it's very slow to run. Probably the easiest solution would have been to install an SSD but I was reluctant to spend more money so I decided to look for a more lightweight operating system. I've always known of Linux but never used it and after a brief survey, I went for Mint to try it out.

Installation from a bootable USB was pretty straight forward and the only problem so far has been trying to access files on my Windows PC from the Mint laptop. I think it's now sorted but the process was not at all clear and most tutorials and instructions assumed more Linux knowledge that I have (yet).
So that was my first steps in the Linux world and I look forward to my adventures.

Finally a little bit of background on myself; I'm not a computer professional and would not call myself an expert in any way, I've just used a PC for many years and I'm reasonably happy fiddling with both hardware and software. Oh! and the subject of this post said "old" because I'm 76! so please be nice to me.

dm999
Level 2
Level 2

Re: An old newcomer

Post by dm999 »

Welcome Spennsa, enjoy your adventures, there's plenty of helpful people on this forum.

I'm looking out of my window right now and I can see your country :D

Cheers (or should I say "iechyd da")..?
19.3 Cinnamon / Lenovo ideapad 500 15ISK / i5-6200U CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2 / 12GB RAM /

sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

Welcome to Linux and this forum. You will find out through time this is one of the nicest Linux forums in existence so ask away whenever you have a question. I bet you remember what forums were like in the old days but that isn't a problem here. :)

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello Spennsa.
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, Enjoy :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forums!
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Greencedar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Greencedar »

Hi and welcome to the world of Mint! :)
Greencedar

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Spennsa Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

Return to “Introduce yourself”