I ditched Windows for Linux

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Raffles
Level 1
Level 1

I ditched Windows for Linux

Post by Raffles »

Greetings all,

I have been into computing since the Z81 era and studied computer science at university level in the mid 1980s. My first PC was a Commodore 64 followed by an IBM portable. I was advancing in leaps and bounds and had a 386DX on which I was developing software, MS DOS, Windows 3.1 and Visual Basic were my fortés until 1995 when I was burgled and all my hardware was stolen, along with software I was developing. The Windows backup failed to restore and all was lost. Because of my personal situation, I didn't return to computing for many years. In the late 1990s I used cyber cafés to go about my internet business although between 1992 and 1995 I had a bulletin board at home. This is because in 1998 I went into darkest Africa in an unrelated industry where such services were rare and expensive. In 2007 I landed a job with a global enterprise that I had an internet connection at work. I only got a home internet connection around 2009 and boom, I was back into it.

When Windows 10 entered the arena, I became very disappointed with Microsoft and installed a plugin called "Never 10" on my first laptop which has Windows 7 installed. I had already been dabbling with Ubuntu and subsequently converted all my other machines to Ubuntu. In 2016 I bought an ACER laptop and managed to install Ubuntu 16.04 in a dual boot environment ith Windows 10, although I stopped using the Windows 10 shortly thereafter. In 2017 I built a desktop from scratch and it is natively running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. In 2018 bought an Acer ROG laptop and wiped the Win 10 without ever starting it, it is on this machine that I am writing this with Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. I discovered Cinnamon and so I am running Ubuntu with Cinnamon. I ditched Microsoft with the exception of a Win 7 laptop that I have to run software that won't work on Linux. I plan on using it until the end of this year, then converting the machine to test ReactOS with a software I need from a few stubborn Windows oriented devs..

I have just bought a Lenovo S145 for my gal, and installed mint 19 because Cinnamon is native to it, and trying to set it up so that she is perfectly happy with it, and won't ever ask me to reinstall Windows :shock:

That's a summary of my story of how I have arrived at Linux Mint.

LanceM
Level 8
Level 8

Re: I ditched Windows for Linux

Post by LanceM »

If the world knew about Mint Cinnamon, really knew", Bill Gates would be out on the highway with a suitcase. But then maybe it wouldn't be as great as it is. I often wonder this. If every hacker was trying to bring it down globally, how would it hold up? A lot better than Windows, that's a certainty. I too ditched Win 10 several years ago except for a copy to refer to for various references, like answering dual boot questions on the Forum, or friends that need a bit of help.
Last edited by LanceM on Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To mark this issue solved, go to your original 1st post and click the edit pencil and add [Solved] at the beginning of the title and click Submit.
Mint accepts donations: https://linuxmint.com/donors.php

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi Raffles,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

Hi Raffles ,
welcome to our forum.
:)

there has been a steady stream of folks, that have moved away from that win-10 system.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Raffles Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forums!
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Minux1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Minux1 »

Why ditch anything?
I have Windows, MAC & Linux computers.
They all have their uses, weak & strong points.
Just did my tax return on a Windows PC because Linux doesn’t support Turbotax.
No big deal ... I’m writing this post on an iPad.
I will remain platform ‘inclusive’,
Inclusive seems to be the way humanity is heading these days, :mrgreen:

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

Welcome to the forums!
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

Return to “Introduce yourself”