Hello From Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
JTemple
Level 2
Level 2

Hello From Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada

Post by JTemple »

I am not a Linux user as yet. I have had my fill of Microsoft and all their damaging updates that often cause me hours or days of fixing problems. Thus, I have a new,(to me)," refurbished" Desk Top PC coming in a couple of days. I ordered the machine from Best Buy Market Place. I have downloaded Mint 19.3 Cinnamon but have yet to verify the download. It is my plan to install the Mint on this machine as it's only OS. I will wait for my more advanced, techie son to come for a visit to help me do the change over from windows 10. Any comments on my plan for the machine that is coming would be gratefully received:
PC Details.JPG
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Hello From Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada

Post by JoeFootball »

JTemple wrote: It is my plan to install the Mint on this machine as it's only OS.
Welcome JTemple! :) That looks like a fine machine for LM 19.3 Cinnamon, and having is as the sole OS will alleviate any potential "dual boot with Windows" headaches.

JTemple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JTemple »

Thank You for the very encouraging comment! I have been using computers since 1983 and before the internet became a common thing. My first PC was an Apple 2C. When Microsoft first put out windows and all office positions advertised "Must Do Windows", I was very confused. I phoned a sister who worked in and office and asked "What is this must do windows thing?!" When she told me what windows were, I was astonished. Apple started with a system of "windows". I said, "What the heck, who doesn't do windows!?" (Apparently, anyone that did not start with an Apple.) BUT this will be the first time I have had anything to do with Linux. I am a bit nervous, to say the least. Thus, my reason for signing up here. Who knows, I might even learn to be useful and not just a blood sucker. :lol:
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Post by JoeFootball »

JTemple wrote: Who knows, I might even learn to be useful and not just a blood sucker.
I admire your enthusiasm. Keep it up! :) I've been using Linux since 1999, and continue to learn new things every day. I expect you shall as well.

In preparation for your departure from Windows, be aware that OS and its contents (e.g., your important files) will no longer exist in that instance, so double-check that you've preserved elsewhere any files that you want keep. I realize that may be obvious, but sharing just in case.

stephanieswitzer
Level 4
Level 4

Post by stephanieswitzer »

Welcome to the land of Mint, from Kingston Ontario :) I have Mint Cinnamon 19.3 installed on two of my old Macs. Don't be shy, there's lots, and lots of help here.
Mac-Mini running Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Intel© Core™ i5-2415M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 2, 8 GiB,

MacBookPro9,2 running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 Intel Core i5-3210M CPU @ 3.20GHz, 8 GiB.

JTemple
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JTemple »

JoeFootball wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:57 pm
JTemple wrote: Who knows, I might even learn to be useful and not just a blood sucker.
I admire your enthusiasm. Keep it up! :) I've been using Linux since 1999, and continue to learn new things every day. I expect you shall as well.

In preparation for your departure from Windows, be aware that OS and its contents (e.g., your important files) will no longer exist in that instance, so double-check that you've preserved elsewhere any files that you want keep. I realize that may be obvious, but sharing just in case.
Thanks! Yes, my files are always saved in triplicate. I keep 3 separate external drives on the premise that any one of them could die at any time. I don't bother with system backup because I can reinstall the system, I just want my files secured.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Hello JTemple Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forums!
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Return to “Introduce yourself”