How i entered the world of linux

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
david_01
Level 1
Level 1

How i entered the world of linux

Post by david_01 »

Hi guys
Greetings to everybody
After using mint for nearly a month i thought about sharing my experience with it and how i entered the world of linux
It was on 14th of january this year when microsoft ditched support for win7. I was aware of that previously and was deciding for a turn to something new and savvy and there i found linux :wink:
After watching a lot of videos tutorials and taking advices from people i decided to install lm19 on my lenovo laptop which is now nearly 10 years old
In the beginning i had quite a few problems with setting up mint
But within a week or so i had fallen in love with linux and now i just dont want to return to windows. It has become such that any problem that arises in front of me i just dont fear. Make a search on the internet, check out varios forums, write my own problems in the forums and bingo within a day or two my problem is solved :D
So i am spending great time with linux :wink:

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How i entered the world of linux

Post by Pierre »

Hi David,
welcome to our forum.
:)

there does seem to be an number of folks, that have moved away from that Windows System, in recent months.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

ColdBootII
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ColdBootII »

Enjoy,

Cheers! :D

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Greetings David and welcome to the forum!
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Hello David Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

Portreve
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Portreve »

In *my* case, there were three guys who I will not mention by name as Clem, Xenopeek, and GM10 who took me out back of a bar and beat me senseless one night over the head with a flash drive and shoved GNU+Linux in my hand and said "Quit being an Apple sissy-boy! Boot this or else!" :lol:

Anyhow, david_01, welcome aboard!
Please remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3.

Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers.
— Voltaire

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello david_01,
Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums, enjoy!
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

AndyMH
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AndyMH »

david_01 wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:43 am
i decided to install lm19 on my lenovo laptop which is now nearly 10 years old
One of the advantages of old Thinkpads is that they are very linux friendly.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

kelevra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kelevra »

Hello David_01, welcome. It is good to hear about another computer lover leaving the Gates-athon.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." Henry Ford

Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB

Moonraker
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Moonraker »

I ditched my beloved Win 7 box on Jan 1st 2019 and never looked back. After year and 3 months I can say that it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

I'll admit I really, really liked Win 7 (still do, actually) but Mint has served me very well and after getting everything set up the way I wanted it, I don't know if I could go back.

The hardest part for me was replacing some of the niche apps I had come to rely on (a notekeeper app, editing tools, image editors, etc) but it's more a matter of trying different apps and deciding which ones fit your needs. After trying literally hundreds of applications, here's what I use on a daily basis:
  • For a notekeeper I find that CherryTree is the best for me.
  • Pinta and Krita are two good mid-level image editors. GIMP is probably the most full-featured image manipulation tool but I usually need just some quick and dirty image tools and Pinta and Krita work for most of what I do.
  • Skanlite is a decent scanner utility, sometimes a bit finicky. The default tool, "Simple Scan" actually works very well for most purposes. gscan2pdf is also useful scanner tool.
  • FileZilla is a very good FTP/SFTP app for uploading files to websites or servers.
  • VirtualBox is handy if you have to run a Windows-only app. It's a little complex at first but not that hard to get going.
  • Audacity is a wonderful sound editing tool with all the features you could ever want for most needs.
  • For word processing, I recommend Textmaker by Softmaker. I like Libre Office (the free default word processor app), but Textmaker is very polished and has flawless compatibility with MS Word docs (and Excel, too). It was so good I spent the $39 for the entire Softmaker suite of office tools and haven't regretted it one bit. It also looks a lot like MS Word so it's familiar to Word users.
  • Brasereo is an excellent CD/DVD burner and it's the one I settled on.
  • Teamviewer is, well, Teamviewer. Works fine in Mint.
  • For screen captures, I find Flameshot to be the best one out there.
  • Skype for Linux works pretty well, or at least well enough to use when needed.
I hope this list helps you find some tools that fit your needs.

EDIT: I'd love to see other people list out the tools they settled on for their daily needs or niche applications.

The future isn't what it used to be.

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

David hi,

10 year old lenovo...that's where I'm at, and won't be buying new anytime soon.
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

Return to “Introduce yourself”