Hello from the South of Italy!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
MartinaScara
Level 1
Level 1

Hello from the South of Italy!

Post by MartinaScara »

My name is Martina, I'm 27 and I've been recently caught by a raptus while in quarantine. :lol:
Forced to stay at home (you know, old dear COVID-19...) I finally realized that if I hate W10 I'm not obliged to use it so for the first time in my life I changed my OS all by myself: the good news is my PC didn't explode as I feared. The bad news is that there's still something I don't understand but I'm sure I will soon because I'm stuck at home probably for a long long time. The bad news for you is that I've a lot of time to spend on this forum.

Anyway, if you want to speak with me you can do it in English, of course, but also in Italian (here's a native speaker and that explains why I write in this weird way) and also Portuguese!

Nice to virtually meet you!
Stat Crux dum volvitur orbis.

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Hello from the South of Italy!

Post by Pierre »

Hi Martina,
welcome to our forum.
:)

there is an Italian forum, around here, that you can also utilise.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Hello Martina and welcome! You have certainly found a great new thing to learn while you're in quarantine... a wonderful investment and an excellent way to use the extra time. Ask as many questions as you need! :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello MartinaScara,
Welcome the Linux Mint Forums, Enjoy :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

wallyUSA
Level 5
Level 5

Post by wallyUSA »

Welcome Martina, we are here to help.

Be safe :!:
Last edited by wallyUSA on Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tricia 19.3 Cinnamon 4.4.8 Kernel 5.3.0-53 (64 bit). {Dell XPS 13}
Please, if your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions.

kelevra
Level 1
Level 1

Post by kelevra »

Hi Martina, welcome to the world of Linux Mint. Sorry to hear about your situation. Be well.
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." Henry Ford

Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB

MartinaScara
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MartinaScara »

Thanks to everyone!

Here we're still quite fine despite the emergency. We're trying not to spread the virus but someone doesn't follow the rules and has no respect for the public health.
You too stay safe, please. Avoid the mistakes that many people made here, protect yourself and the people around you!

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

Welcome Martina Image

I am an Okie Not from Muskogee " you have know a bit about Country and Western music to catch that one.

My biggest regret, after the fact, is that I avoided learning "foreign" languages.....
I now wish that I had taken Spanish and French while in my 12 years of school.

but alas, I did not.... but to put a reason on it, I was born Totally Deaf.... and at age 8 a very good doctor rearranged my Internal Hearing organs so that one day, I would be able to hear people talk.... so I was 12 y/o before I really understood what the kids around me were saying..... Add a huge Tinnitus condition to that, and understanding subtle dialects is totally impossible for me, even yet today. I have to keep Live Captions on the TV at all times to enjoy watching the 'boob tube'.

Now Google Translate has to do the job when I really want to understand something not in my native English OkieTexMex slang meaning I grew up in Oklahoma, spent all of my working life in Texas, or New Mexico, or Arizona... all of those states have a huge influx of the Spanish languages.... and each has a different dialect on how it is spoken...

The Slang that comes with Hispanic speakers varies a lot around me, and I am lost as to what they are saying...
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

rickNS
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rickNS »

Martina hi, and welcome to Mint Forums.
Some of us here also have, alot of time to spend on this forum...(maybe too much ?)
Mint 19.0 mate on 2 identical Thinkpad T420's

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Martina Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

MartinaScara
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MartinaScara »

AZgl1500 wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:53 pm
Welcome Martina Image

I am an Okie Not from Muskogee " you have know a bit about Country and Western music to catch that one.

My biggest regret, after the fact, is that I avoided learning "foreign" languages.....
I now wish that I had taken Spanish and French while in my 12 years of school.

but alas, I did not.... but to put a reason on it, I was born Totally Deaf.... and at age 8 a very good doctor rearranged my Internal Hearing organs so that one day, I would be able to hear people talk.... so I was 12 y/o before I really understood what the kids around me were saying..... Add a huge Tinnitus condition to that, and understanding subtle dialects is totally impossible for me, even yet today. I have to keep Live Captions on the TV at all times to enjoy watching the 'boob tube'.

Now Google Translate has to do the job when I really want to understand something not in my native English OkieTexMex slang meaning I grew up in Oklahoma, spent all of my working life in Texas, or New Mexico, or Arizona... all of those states have a huge influx of the Spanish languages.... and each has a different dialect on how it is spoken...

The Slang that comes with Hispanic speakers varies a lot around me, and I am lost as to what they are saying...
Hello! Sorry I'm a bit late.
I can only imagine how must have been (and still is) difficult. It's not the same but, you know, during my years at university I've been feeling so frustrated because of my four looooong years of Russian classes, a painful failure, no matter how much I studied, I didn't understand a word when the teachers/other students talked. I gave up. Now I speak two foreign languages but I'm constantly afraid of saying or writing something weird because I've no one to speak. Anyway, it's never too late to learn a new language because yes, it's hard to understand people speaking but you could still enjoy reading French or Spanish.
Thank you for sharing something so important with me, it means a lot.

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

MartinaScara
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MartinaScara »

WharfRat wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:47 pm
Hello Martina Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
Thank you!

Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

Return to “Introduce yourself”