Burned my Windows boat to take the Linux Island

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Rouge11
Level 1
Level 1

Burned my Windows boat to take the Linux Island

Post by Rouge11 »

Hey all.

So about 2 years ago, I burned my Windows ship to take the Linux island. No dual boot for me.
Started with Ubuntu for the first year. Things were going ok. Had dual monitors work most of the year until I unplugged everything to move it to another room.

Last year I was running Parrot Security OS after an incident and wanted more protection. I liked it but seemed to be a pain to install things and not much help. I made due and tried to learn a bit about the cyber security tools. That rabbit hole distracted me for a while.

I have been trying to convert others to Linux. lol. Everyone thinks its complicated, doesnt want to learn it or is ok with being a windows/mac sheep.
My uncle and brother both use Redhat at their job, but use windows at home.
I was able to convert my mom to Linux Mint by saying it was safer than Windows 7. She's not the best with computers and does limited things on it anyways. She has not had any issues.

I found alternativeto.net which has been great in finding other program replacements on linux. Was very easy to get away from adobe and microsoft.

Jan 2020, I decided it was time to start building a better setup for this decade (guess I'm going to end up rebuilding the entire thing). I started with a LG 34" ultrawide curved monitor, a BenQ 27" pivot photo monitor and still have my old 27" Asus monitor. I couldn't get the two new ones to work on Parrot. So I thought I would try something with an easier display and software manager. I had the 34" working on my spare Linux Mint cinnamon laptop and thought it should work on my desktop with Mint. So I installed Mint on the desktop but I was mistaken. (I have been trying this entire year on and off to get them to work. Yesterday I messed up the xserver-xorg input and now the mouse and keyboard dont work at the login screen and no grub menu is coming up. I'll post for official help in a thread shortly after this post.

Laptop - AMD A8
Desktop - AMD Radeon 290X

Linux is a pain in the A at times but I will never go back to Windows (besides at my job, until I can figure how to do everything I normally do with linux. I just wont tell the boss). I see tons of potential with linux, I just need to keep learning. Any recommendations with books, online courses, certifications?

SSpooky
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Burned my Windows boat to take the Linux Island

Post by SSpooky »

Proud owner of...
CLEVO W670SC (6 years young) with LM 19.3 Cinnamon
MSI GT70.........(7 years young) with LM 19.3 Cinnamon

AZgl1500
Level 13
Level 13
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Post by AZgl1500 »

love your intro, I am going to copy part of the text and put it over on my motorcycle forum/Computer Talk. :lol:

I am in a mixed camp here at home, retired at 78 y/o and put different Mint distros on several laptops.
19.3 Cinnamon is my current love flame.

My daughter, 44, must use ACCESS for her job, so Micro$loth is still in the house.

I have supported the sheep camp for 35 years, that is enough, my Recliner is calling me now :mrgreen:
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Rouge11 Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello Rouge11,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, Enjoy :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Greencedar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Greencedar »

Welcome! The grass is greener in the world of Mint. :)
Greencedar

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Rouge11
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rouge11 »

SSpooky wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 3:59 pm
Welcome to the Free World of computing Rouge11
Well... I know some video's...
thanks mate. I will check these out.
AZgl1500 wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:32 pm
love your intro, I am going to copy part of the text and put it over on my motorcycle forum/Computer Talk. :lol:

I am in a mixed camp here at home, retired at 78 y/o and put different Mint distros on several laptops.
19.3 Cinnamon is my current love flame.

I have supported the sheep camp for 35 years, that is enough, my Recliner is calling me now :mrgreen:
lol I got it from Tony Robbins - motivational speaker. Technically Julius Caesar actually burned his boats. Its also mentioned in the book The Art of War by Sun Tzu
kc1di wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:42 am
Hello Rouge11,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, Enjoy :)
Greencedar wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:14 am
Welcome! The grass is greener in the world of Mint. :)
deepakdeshp wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:17 am
Welcome to the forum.
thanks all

Return to “Introduce yourself”