Linux Mint just works

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Luxdragon
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint just works

Post by Luxdragon »

Ahoy,

I know it has been said a thousand times that Linux Mint is one of those operating systems that people love just because it works, but it is true and certainly a thing to be cherished. I'm not exactly new to the Linux Mint Forum, but I believe it would be right that I formally introduce myself now that I have used Mint for two months.

I'm a high school student from the endless woods of Slovenia and my journey to Linux actually began a year and a half ago. My previous laptop had a pre-installed Windows 8.1 and I got used to it. As time went by I had to switch to Windows 10. I did not like it too much and looked for alternatives. Then I encountered Ubuntu. I loved it and that's how I fell down the Linux rabbit hole. My old laptop was slowly going defect, so I decided to buy a new one at the beginning of 2020. I knew that the next LTS release of Ubuntu would come in April and thought that I might explore a few other distros till then. I tried Manjaro, PopOS and Linux Mint, but none worked as well on my Asus TUF as Linux Mint 19.3. It's based on Ubuntu, so I still have access to the repositories I got used to, I don't exactly know why but Mint boots faster than Ubuntu, the Driver Manager is awesome (Mint is the only Linux to have found the right Wi-Fi driver for me) and I really like the Cinnamon desktop environment. Emulators work great (Zelda: Botw at 30fps), Steam Proton and Lutris support is awesome and Kdenlive, LoggerPro, Arduino IDE and Visual Studio Code are all without issues. Linux Mint just works.

I originally intended to reinstall Ubuntu once 20.04LTS would be released, but as of now, I think I'll stay on Linux Mint 19.3 :D till Mint 20.1 is released.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LanceM

Re: Linux Mint just works

Post by LanceM »

Good decisions. I'm hopelessly addicted to Mint Cinnamon :shock:
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

LanceM wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:39 am Good decisions. I'm hopelessly addicted to Mint Cinnamon :shock:
So am I.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

I'm not! I can stop at any time!
... I just don't want to. 8)

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

Moem wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:16 pm I'm not! I can stop at any time!
... I just don't want to. 8)
Alcoholics say the same thing :mrgreen:
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Luxdragon,
Good to have you on the Linux Mint Forums :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Luxdragon Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
Glamtrains

Post by Glamtrains »

This so much sounds like me speaking .... "Linux Mint just works"

Welcome to Mint. As an old Mint user, one gets that itch and I tried Kali, Manjaro, Sparky, Fedora, Arch, Kubuntu and SolydK lately, quickly coming back to Mint Cinnamon. I even ditched Mint's Xfce, MATE and the LMDE4 edition, because of some quirks.

Once again, welcome and enjoy.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

hopefully, it will keep on .. keeping on,
as this time around, I'll be making some major changes, to the number of partitions,
- on a few of my Laptops & Desktop.
:)
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
BrianI
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BrianI »

Welcome aboard, Luxdragon! :D

I must admit I'm currently suffering from a bit of distro fever, and have just last weeked installed Kubuntu 20.04 on my main system, prior to that I was running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon.

To be honest, I think I'll be heading back to good old Linux Mint soon, especially with Mint 20 getting released. Mint with Cinnamon just works :-) KDE Plasma I find, is just overwhelming with options and settings and menus for setting options of options... Fine if you like endlessly customising things to the nth degree :roll: (and what purpose does having a blur background effect on a semi transparent terminal window really serve?), but for me, I just like a straight forward setup, which just lets me get on with my work :-)

Anyway, wishing you many a happy time with Linux Mint!
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

BrianI wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:32 am Welcome aboard, Luxdragon! :D

I must admit I'm currently suffering from a bit of distro fever, and have just last weeked installed Kubuntu 20.04 on my main system, prior to that I was running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon.

To be honest, I think I'll be heading back to good old Linux Mint soon, especially with Mint 20 getting released. Mint with Cinnamon just works :-) KDE Plasma I find, is just overwhelming with options and settings and menus for setting options of options... Fine if you like endlessly customising things to the nth degree :roll: (and what purpose does having a blur background effect on a semi transparent terminal window really serve?), but for me, I just like a straight forward setup, which just lets me get on with my work :-)

When I retired 3 years ago I tried just about every distro out there. Guess what I'm running? Mint 18.3 Cinnamon and no more cool themes. Just a plain Jane system that is FAST
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Luxdragon wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:05 am I know it has been said a thousand times that Linux Mint is one of those operating systems that people love just because it works
And I don't think I'll ever tire of hearing it.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

It's true - it just works out of the box as the saying goes. But not only that it is secure and stable . . . out of the box.
BrianI
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BrianI »

Pepi wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:54 am
BrianI wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:32 am Welcome aboard, Luxdragon! :D

When I retired 3 years ago I tried just about every distro out there. Guess what I'm running? Mint 18.3 Cinnamon and no more cool themes. Just a plain Jane system that is FAST

Indeed, there is lots to be said for keeping things nice and simple, without any flashy effects / cool themes!
Hugh Neutron
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Hugh Neutron »

I like Linux Mint because of Cinnamon being an amazing desktop experience + an Ubuntu LTS base.

The Alt Tab and Expo in cinnamon allow me to close windows using the Q button if "ctrl+ Q" is mapped as a keyboard shortcut to close Windows.

This also works on GNOME and Unity but not KDE or others. I also like how cinnamon gives me a modern powerful (yet traditional) desktop unlike GNOME and Unity which is alien to me.
always wanting to learn more about Linux. It saved me from the Windows 10 telemetry and SAAS nightmare.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Welcome to the Forum. :D
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
ricky101

Post by ricky101 »

Hi @Luxdragon,

Noticed in your original post you said you were running Arduino IDE and Visual Studio.

Am a "slow" newbie to Linux and have the installed Arduino IDE ok, but when using Windows I also used Atmel Studio for bigger programs, but could not try out things like Arduino Pro IDE because our PC(x64) is running Windows 10 32 bit.

Seems no real info on how well Arduino Pro IDE is under Linux and no info on how a Linux beginner should install it.

Never used Visual Studio though gather thats what Atmel Studio basically is. Wondered if you use VS for your Arduino code or if it needs an Arduino plug in like the Visual Micro we used with Atmel ?

Any guidance appreciated.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forums.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

Welcome Luxdragon
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon