Hi All!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Mill Left
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All!

Post by Mill Left »

I'm a total newbie to Linux/Ubuntu and everything associated with it and my first steps were a breath of fresh air compared to MicroScud..LOL

However, the more that I update Linux, the more problems I seem to be encountering and things seem to run slower and crash.
I don't understand the thinking of MicroSoft, they abandoned so many working
versions of their own system to give us Win10???? It's not Scottish......IT"S CRAP!!!! LOL

So, here I am in Linux ( for approximately 2 months), with problems....to be made in another post......

I have no idea what "grub" means or what it does, I have no idea what Ubuntu is or does, I'm not sure how to make sure my Linux Cinnamon is safe and secure.
I have no idea which programs I DON"T need.

I have no desire to be a programmer or a test bed, I just want:

1. A safe secure computer.
2. Not to have to spend more time "fixing things" (and losing progress/personal files/website favourites etc) than I spend using Linux.
3. No "link" whatsoever to Microsoft and it's vulnerabilities, I'm a beer drinker so, NO WINE!!! LOL (What's the point of "jumping off the shark" if you open the door to get bitten by the same problems that have infected MS for years?).

Thanks for the support forum here!
And thanks for any patience for dealing with another newbie!!

More to come.........

Steven

mikaelrask
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Hi All!

Post by mikaelrask »

hey and welcome to linux mint and the forum.

What problem do you have when updating Linux?

grub is the boot loader witch shows your os like windows,linux mint, ubuntu and so on.

ubuntu is another distro just like linux mint, linux mint is based of ubuntu simple terms.

linux is so much safer then windows linux was designed to be fast and secure by default and stable.

could you open a terminal and post the result from this command

Code: Select all

inxi -Fxxxz
meaby cinnamon is a bit to heavy for your computer.

any program in linux can be uninstall so if there is something you don't need just uninstall it.

i hope this gives you some peace of mind, and it is a learning curve with linux, but linux mint makes that curve smaller for new users with everything has a gui so you hardly have to touch the terminal.

have a great day
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Graphic Card: nvidia 2070 super
Ram 16 GB
Kernel: 5.4.0.33-generic
kubuntu 20.04

Laptop:
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-245m
cinnamon 19.3
Kernel 4.15.0.101-generic
Ram 4 gb

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello Mill Left,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, all or most of the problems you talk about can be solved. Some may stem from the fact as you say you know little about how things work. So some study and learning will be helpful. There are many many tutorials on line most for free that can be of help.

Hope we see you around the forums and there are many volunteers here to help. Quite a knowledgeable group actually. Have fun.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Hello Mill Left Image

Welcome to Linux Mint and the Linux Mint forum :)
ImageImage

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Greetings Steven and welcome to the forum!
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum!
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Return to “Introduce yourself”