Mint 19 Cinnamon system crashed after automatic software update

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
MarcelX
Level 1
Level 1

Mint 19 Cinnamon system crashed after automatic software update

Post by MarcelX »

Hi everyone, I'm new to the Forum and new to Linux.
A few months ago I successfully installed Mint 19 cinnamon on an old 64bit ThinkCenter Lenovo PC running Win XP.

Everything went well until 2 hours ago, when I did the periodical software update proposed automatically by Mint.
Unfortunately after rebooting the system, the Desktop page is graphically changed and now the system no longer recognizes my user password and no longer allows me to access the computer ... with all my data and all the work of months :twisted: :twisted: .

This is the first time something so awful has happened to me and I'm not familiar with Linux. Is there anything I can do to bypass the password request and try to get my data back? Alternatively, is there a way to boot the system from a USB external support without the password to try to uninstall all the updates I have made today to see if restoring the old configuration resolves the problem? Ideas?
Many thanks in advance to those who want / can help me.

PS: No. It's not a caps-lock problem ;-)
Attachments
P1180541-m.jpg

nosolutionyet
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint 19 Cinnamon system crashed after automatic software update

Post by nosolutionyet »

Hello,
If you were lucky enough to get to desktop-did you happen to set up Backup or Timeshift. It is easy to use a usb external drive using backup. Other than that-I am a level one and maybe 1 of the pros can help you.

MarcelX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MarcelX »

Thank you for your answer.
No, unfortunately it's the first time I've heard of Timeshift and I've never set up Backup.

My problem is that after software updates, the system recognizes the password. But after correctly entering the password, the system does not load the desktop with the folders and the start bar, the system remains as in a loop and asks me for the password indefinitely.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

Hello MarcelX,

I moved your topic here for more visibility.

If you can boot the installation media, open a terminal and paste back the rests of sudo blkid

You can access the forum using FF from the live session,

What I'm looking for is the partition your Mint system is installed to.
ImageImage

Return to “Newbie Questions”