Ex windows user who saw the light :)

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
radiarion
Level 1
Level 1

Ex windows user who saw the light :)

Post by radiarion »

Hi all,

Well im new to the forum but I moved from Windows to mint about a year ago. I had my reservations as change cab be hard (especially at 45).

Within minutes I feel in love with mint, it was fast, clean user friendly and instantly became my day to day os.

I then ventured into Linux gaming which is a little bleak, but getting better by the day, especially with steam (thanks proton).

I do have windows 10 on a small partition for the odd game I can't play, but I never really use it, in fact last time I booted windows was 8 months ago, and when I booted it yesterday I had 2 hours of updates.. Just reminds me why I love mint so much :)

I remember when I had my first computer (amstrad cpc) it was an adventure to learn and explore, then the same with my old Amiga, but a windows pc is drab and boring. Mint gave me back the fun of computing, exploring, learning, and enjoying my time in front of the screen.

The fact not everything is straight forward is great as I like to experement and learn and that's all part of the fun.

Long live Linux, looking forward to mint 20.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for giving me back the joy and fun a computer should give you.

mikaelrask
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Ex windows user who saw the light :)

Post by mikaelrask »

hey radiarion welcome to linux mint and the linux mint forum.
enjoy your stay at linux mint :D
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Graphic Card: nvidia 2070 super
Ram 16 GB
Kernel: 5.4.0.33-generic
kubuntu 20.04

Laptop:
CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-245m
cinnamon 19.3
Kernel 4.15.0.101-generic
Ram 4 gb

carum carvi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by carum carvi »

radiarion wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:57 am
Well im new to the forum but I moved from Windows to mint about a year ago. I had my reservations as change can be hard (especially at 45).

Within minutes I feel in love with mint, it was fast, clean user friendly and instantly became my day to day os.

I then ventured into Linux gaming which is a little bleak, but getting better by the day, especially with steam (thanks proton).
Fast, clean and user friendly and instantly becoming my day to day OS. That is your experience, but it was mine as well some 3 years ago. Welcome to the forum radiarion! I am certain you will enjoy your stay here! And I included your experience with games in particular, because (indeed) the gaming experience in Linux can be bleak, but things have changed for the better recently (so I have read) with Steam. So keep posting your experiences radiarion, it will help other newbies recognize similar problems and I keep learning from newcomers experiences as well every day I visit this forum, because especially the new users often shed light on issues I wasnt aware of before...

Enjoy LinuxMint! :D

JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

Welcome!
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum!
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

radiarion
Level 1
Level 1

Post by radiarion »

Thanks guys, I'm hoping I can expand my knowledge and learn to enjoy mint even more. Catch you around the chat rooms :D

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Windows 10 update sometimes Bork your Mint boot. So beware. I don't update my dual boot Windows and like you barely boot it.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

Welcome to the Forum. :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

radiarion
Level 1
Level 1

Post by radiarion »

Didn't know windows update could effect Linux but it's good advice and worth knowing.

Who needs Windows anyway when you have mint :lol:

Thanks

RollyShed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RollyShed »

radiarion wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 10:57 am
Hi all,

Well im new to the forum but I moved from Windows to mint about a year ago. I had my reservations as change cab be hard (especially at 45).
Yes, much easier when you are older than 65. I moved to Mint accidentally a decade ago, my partner a year and a half ago so add two or three decades to your age and it will be easier.

Welcome to here (the forum). Good luck, keep playing with it, as it allows you to play with it and set it up as you want it.

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello radiarion,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,
Regards,
Deepak

Return to “Introduce yourself”