Diving in...

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Hapgood
Level 1
Level 1

Diving in...

Post by Hapgood »

I built my current computer last August. The machine it replaced had been reliably running Windows 7 for more than 9 years. But I've had nothing but trouble with Windows 10 on the new computer. BSODs and freezes happen far too often, despite reinstallation, driver updates, tweaking, incantations to propitiate obscure deities, and hardware that passed every test I threw at it.

I had been running Mint Xfce on the laptop that's the main source for my audio system. That machine is one of those cheapie laptops that's perfect for audio because it has no fan, and is more than adequately powerful to run JRiver Media Center. It came with Windows 10, but lacks sufficient internal storage to update to newer versions. Linux Mint provided a better (and less bloated) solution. I also "rescued" my dad's 10-year-old laptop, which had been replaced with a new one that reliably runs Windows 10. I was amazed to find that Mint Xfce installed and ran right out of the box. It's faster than it ever was with Windows 7; and despite its advanced age it's just fine for light-duty Web surfing.

So I decided to buy another NvMe solid-state drive for my current computer and install Mint Cinnamon on it. Aside from a few hiccups I'm still working out, it has been entirely stable. That tells me the problems I have with Windows 10 are specifically related to Windows rather than to the hardware. That's not the first time I've seen something like that. Years ago I was an enthusiastic OS/2 user. Then I got a film scanner and Paint Shop Pro, which needed Windows 95. I used a dual boot and found that Windows 95 constantly crashed and froze, while OS/2 was perfectly reliable.

I still need Windows to run Photoshop and Finale. While I've read that some people can run them by properly tweaking Wine, it seems easiest to keep Windows around just for them. I hope to eventually transition to using Linux for everything else. And I'm glad there are friendly people on these forums for the help I'll surely need.

iain_33
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Diving in...

Post by iain_33 »

Hello hapgood and welcome to the forums!
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on Lenovo Legion Y540 laptop (2020)
Linux Mint 19.3 Mate on HP G70 laptop (2009)

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello Hapgood,
Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums, enjoy! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi Hapgood,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Greetings Hapgood and welcome to the forum!
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD

Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

Hi Hapgood,
welcome to our forum.
:)

you can find Linux Alternatives to most of the Windows programs,
and thus Photoshop can be replaced by Gimp and MuseScore is a very capable alternative to Finale ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

Welcome to the Forum. :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Return to “Introduce yourself”