Hello All

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Franzi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

Post by Franzi »

So many new things to learn all at once!

I'm a retired Australian, caught in Norway by the pandemic, so I thought I'd spend some spare time learning about Linux. After all, they say it's easy - and it probably is - once you know how. Anyway, I bought a laptop (ASUS ZenBook) with Windows 10 on it, and installed Linux Mint along side. I'm still working through the consequences of that, but I won't go into the details here - I've got questions on the Newbie section about them.

One of things I'm learning about is Scandinavian keyboards. I knew there'd be issues, but I didn't realise how many. For example, I've only just worked out how to write apostrophe, "'", so that I can write "I've" rather than "I have" (turns out double quotes " are no problem). On this keyboard, the apostrophe is like the French acute accent, you type the accent first, and nothing happens, then you type the e, and you get "é". So, for apostrophe, you type the accent, and then you type a space! Easy, when you know how. Part of the problem is that, although I bought the laptop in Norway, the keyboard is Danish - and they're not the same. That caused all sorts of problems when I was setting up Windows and said it was a Norwegian keyboard. It only came to light in the Linux installation which worked out that it was Danish.

So, what else is new? Well, having gone through the Linux installation which turned off secure boot, I now have to enter my 64 digit BitLocker Recovery Key every time I login to Windows. That's what my Newbie questions are about.

And, for someone my age, chatrooms don't come naturally. I'm doing this in the browser because I couldn't work out how to use HexChat. But, I'll get there and, in the meantime,

Good to meet you all.

deck_luck
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Hello All

Post by deck_luck »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forum. I hope you enjoy your new Linux adventure. :wink:
🐧Linux Mint 19 XFCE 💡Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️ Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello Franzi,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, enjoy! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

Welcome to the Forum. :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the Forum
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Return to “Introduce yourself”