Trying to introduce myself

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Hoppetossa
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to introduce myself

Post by Hoppetossa »

howdyho everyone,
my name is philipp, and i'm a physiotherapist , and I refused to try to understand "computers" for 35 years, but nearly a year ago I decided to give it a try . And i got fixed... and became something like a nerd(!).
for the last 10 years i used Debian OS, which a friend of mine installed and konfigured, so i never had to do it myself. when I started , I switched to linux mint because it is the most user/newbee friendly(for my taste).
I have , since 1 year, linux mint on my PC (powerfull one) and it is so much more fun /friendly than Ubuntu or Debian (I know both) , and it works marvellously, i think. I still get a lot of ERRORS and FAILED but mostly because of my newbeeism?

Now I started a new project : I would like to make a NAS server out of a Intel NUC, and my first idea was to use "Ubuntu Server" but now i am thinking , why not using Linux Mint as OS for my NAS? couldn't find an Linux Mint Server OS and very poorly information about it on guugle. So my questions: is it possible and if yes would it make sence? is it possible to slimm it a bit down , mostly to turn down the power consumtion and I don't need most of the apps and stuff?
I firstly started this project a few days ago just to put only Roon Labs (a music server) via Roon ROCK on my NUC to use it as a server, but then i thought it is a waste of NAS (the NUc has 16GB RAM and 500GB M.2) that's why i thought about Linux Mint + Roon Labs + Nextcloud Server.
whar do you think about ?
EVERY little help is much appriciated!!

And to get an account at linuxmint.community... they ask for a registration code. Do i get it here?

greetings

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Trying to introduce myself

Post by Moem »

Hoppetossa wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:39 pm
to get an account at linuxmint.community... they ask for a registration code. Do i get it here?
No, you still get it in the IRC channel, not here... as we tried to explain before. This is a forum, IRC is a completely different medium. You don't actually need to understand it, it's easy if you just open Hexchat.

Nonetheless, welcome to the forum, we're glad to have you on board!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Greencedar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Greencedar »

Hello and Welcome to the Linux Mint forum. :D
Greencedar

kelevra
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kelevra »

Hi Hoppetossa, welcome.
I did a quick search and found the post shown below and I agree with DarkgrayLord. Server distros are a much more complete solution for use on a server, hence the name. I have read very good things about FreeNas and is the OS I will be using for the home server I build in the near future. Do a guugle search 'FreeNAS reviews'.
DarkgrayLord wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:18 pm
You can use LM as a NAS server, just as any other desktop linux, but those are all for Desktops. If you pick a standard "sever distro", you still have some things to much and others missing until you have all you need for a NAS.

Search for NAS OS, you will find a lot of references to FreeNAS and other variants. The best FS for NAS is often said to be ZFS, but it eats a lot of RAM. I'm fine with ext4. I suggest to read a comparison of features / hardware requirements to find the NAS OS best fitting your needs.

You might consider adding (or replacing one of the 4TB drives) an small SSD for the OS, as this will improve the overall responsiveness of you NAS.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB

kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello Hoppetossa,
Welcome to the Linux Mint forums, enjoy! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

Welcome to the Forum. :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Return to “Introduce yourself”