Curiousier and curiouser

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
SBvdE
Level 1
Level 1

Curiousier and curiouser

Post by SBvdE »

Good day to all:

Long-time Windows user who is still running Windows 7 Ultimate on my desktop, but recently decided to put Linux on my laptop. Was actually NOT intending to install Linux, but Windows suddenly decided to no longer see my sound category in Device Manager. But the laptop is not my primary computer, having only a small percentage of the programs I have on the desktop. I use it as a backup and on those rare occasions I travel or am needing to be on a computer in the house but not at my desktop machine. So using Linux on the laptop really had/has little downside. Actually, it's a relatively painless way for me to learn about Linux.

Aaaanyway, I first installed an Ubuntu version, but I was having a few issues. And the layout was not intuitive to me (again, as a long-time Windows user). So I downloaded and installed the latest Mint (20.04, 64-bit with Mate, I think) and do like it so far. There are a couple of issues I'm having with how to do some things, but I'll post about those in the appropriate forums.

So, there it is.

I'm glad to be here, and really do hope (plan?) that in the not-too-distant future, I will give in and go completely Linux. If/When that happens, it'll be more evidence that an old dog can learn new tricks.

Thank you, and carpe diem!
Greencedar
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Curiousier and curiouser

Post by Greencedar »

Welcome to the forum. :)

I am sure with the passage of time your expertise with Linux Mint 20.04 will increase.
Greencedar
SBvdE
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SBvdE »

Greencedar wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:24 pm
Welcome to the forum. :)

I am sure with the passage of time your expertise with Linux Mint 20.04 will increase.
Thank you, Greencedar, for the welcome. And I do hope to become gradually proficient and comfortable with Linux, and will ultimately find Linux-based programs that can provide the same services, or at least similar to, that I get from my many years with Windows. But again, so far I like Mint and am anticipating the process.
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello SBvdE,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, Enjoy! :)

If you installed Mint 20 remember that it's still a beta version, Final release will be along in weeks. But as Beta not everything may work right now. But keep it updated and when final is released you'll have the same thing installed.
Happy Minting :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

Welcome!
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***
SBvdE
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SBvdE »

kc1di wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:07 am
Hello SBvdE,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, Enjoy! :)

If you installed Mint 20 remember that it's still a beta version, Final release will be along in weeks. But as Beta not everything may work right now. But keep it updated and when final is released you'll have the same thing installed.
Happy Minting :)
kc1di:

Thanks for the welcome.

Alas, I did not realize that what I have installed is actually a BETA. I'm a little bummed, but, no worries. Actually, I believe the issues I'm having -- being often required to provide my OS login for some tasks (kinda like UAC in Windows), and getting my existing Thunderbird profile, copied from Windows 7, to work -- aren't related to LM being a BETA version. Still, I know so little about LM that I really have no idea.

Thanks again!
SBvdE
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SBvdE »

JerryF wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:31 am
Welcome!
Thanks much, JerryF, for the welcome.
kelevra
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kelevra »

Hi SBvdE, welcome to Linux Mint.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

SBvdE wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:59 am
being often required to provide my OS login for some tasks (kinda like UAC in Windows),
Hello,
That's a good comparison... I bet those password prompts happen whenever you are doing something that is regarded as making a change to the system (as opposed to your user area).
Yes, that is a difference between Linux and Windows, and it's a typical newcomer issue (because after all, a new installation is the time when we make more changes to the system than ever), and it's a common enough thing to wonder about for it to have its own sticky post in the Newbie Questions section: Why do I need to type my password to perform admin tasks?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

Welcome to the Forum. :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image
SBvdE
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SBvdE »

Thank you to everyone for the kind greetings, as well as the link in answer to my query regarding the near-constant entering of my password. I've been off the laptop (Linux, that is) for a while so haven't been back here. So forgive the delay in responding.

My next important task is to, if possible, migrate/copy my Windows-based Thunderbird onto my Linux laptop. I would prefer to avoid having to manually setup my e-mail accounts, so I see a migration/copy as the easiest way to go about that. But so far, no success.

Anyway, now that I have my antivirus and Linux talking to each other, and my firewall is setup, AND I have my touchpad scrolling going (did NOT know that the only scrolling option was the two-finger style...lol), things are looking better and better.

Y'all behave, and thanks again. :)
SBvdE
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SBvdE »

Moem wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:07 am
SBvdE wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:59 am
being often required to provide my OS login for some tasks (kinda like UAC in Windows),
Hello,
That's a good comparison... I bet those password prompts happen whenever you are doing something that is regarded as making a change to the system (as opposed to your user area).
Yes, that is a difference between Linux and Windows, and it's a typical newcomer issue (because after all, a new installation is the time when we make more changes to the system than ever), and it's a common enough thing to wonder about for it to have its own sticky post in the Newbie Questions section: Why do I need to type my password to perform admin tasks?
Thanks for that link, Moem.

And truth be told, I long ago turned "OFF" the UAC feature in Windows. I'm the ONLY one on the desktop (ie: non-portable) computer, so I had/have no concerns that it won't be doing anything at the request of anyone or anything else (although I suppose it IS possible).
kelevra
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kelevra »

Hi SBvdE
Welcome to the forum. I too was a little concerned that a Vista password condition might be present after my LM 19.3 system was up and running. I found that it only required a password when I was trying to modify the system itself. I can live with that as a preventative measure. I do get a cautionary prompt with some of the portable programs I use as well, and I can live with those too.
Enjoy the Mint universe.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

SBvdE wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:31 pm
I'm the ONLY one on the desktop (ie: non-portable) computer, so I had/have no concerns that it won't be doing anything at the request of anyone or anything else (although I suppose it IS possible).
Keep in mind that it also protects you from certain threats that can arrive over the internet.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
SBvdE
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SBvdE »

Moem wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:44 am
SBvdE wrote:
Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:31 pm
I'm the ONLY one on the desktop (ie: non-portable) computer, so I had/have no concerns that it won't be doing anything at the request of anyone or anything else (although I suppose it IS possible).
Keep in mind that it also protects you from certain threats that can arrive over the internet.
Indeed.
roboticforest
Level 1
Level 1

Post by roboticforest »

OK, so I know that I should know (and probably do know) what UAC means, but all I can think right now is Union Aerospace Corporation. :confused:

Anyway, welcome! Both to Linux and the forums. I'm new to the forum myself.

Regarding passwords:
Use Linux enough and you'll both get used to typing in a password and need to type it less and less often. As Moem said you'll be typing it in a lot while customizing/setting up a new system, but after that you'll type it rarely, and when you do need to type in a password it'll give you a second to think about why. I have my system setup to require a password at log in for privacy, and beyond that I only need it when I install a new program or run a system update.

Speaking of updates!! :grin: You're going to love how Linux updates. Everything is done in the background. The way Linux handles files means that you can update programs that you're actively using, even update the OS itself and you don't have to stop working! I love it. Everything is so non-intrusive. The last time I had to use Windows I lost an hour of work because the OS suddenly and unexpected forced every program to shutdown, then rebooted, then spent over half an hour installing its updates. Infuriating. :angry:

As for the layout:
Mint is clearly made to be familiar to Windows users. If that's what you're used to than I think you'll find Mint easy to learn. If you have any experience using a Mac you'll find Ubuntu not too hard to figure out. I used to use both Windows and Macs a lot! Until recently I've always felt like Ubuntu was the perfect blend of the two.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message, but millions of electrons were severely inconvenienced.

Return to “Introduce yourself”