I can be taught - maybe

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Ginny14
Level 1
Level 1

I can be taught - maybe

Post by Ginny14 »

Hello all you enlightened Mint users :D

I'm new to the forum and fairly new to mint, which I had installed 12 months ago to extend the life of a second hand HP Stream, which had hung itself after the previous owner followed the invitation to update to Windows 10 for free.

I love how user friendly Mint is, but I cannot understand why the laptop keeps filling up when the original installation was not large. I only use the machine for emails, accessing government agencies and playing spider solitaire. I don't store any photos or personal documents on it.

I'm impressed with this vibrant and active forum, and I applaud the dedicated moderators who run it. However, I'm already overwhelmed by the sheer volume of postings to sift through. So I have bookmarked Karlchen's posting for Newbies and am going to visit the linked pages in the hope that I glean (maybe even retain) some useful information.

Happy minting everyone!
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Re: I can be taught - maybe

Post by Pjotr »

Ginny14 wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:01 am
I cannot understand why the laptop keeps filling up when the original installation was not large.
Welcome! Timeshift misery? Clean safely, like this:
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
JerryF
Level 12
Level 12

Post by JerryF »

Welcome!
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***
Ginny14
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ginny14 »

Thanks for the welcome. I actually printed out the EasyLinuxProject pages on safe cleaning (that's how I knew about the kernels) but have not digested how to put the timeshift images on an external drive. Anyway, I'll keep reading :D
Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

Ginny14 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:46 am
Thanks for the welcome. I actually printed out the EasyLinuxProject pages on safe cleaning (that's how I knew about the kernels) but have not digested how to put the timeshift images on an external drive. Anyway, I'll keep reading :D
Well, in case of space restrictions you can make just one single Timeshift snapshot and disable all automatic scheduled snapshots. If even one Timeshift snapshot consumes too much space to keep it on the system disk permanently, you can simply transfer it to an external drive. Fire and forget.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
kelevra
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kelevra »

Welcome Ginny14, I hope you can glean some useful information here. (looks like you already have)
I was a little overwhelmed at first, too much information. LOL Now I do a search when I am looking for specific things. I also just sit and spend some time perusing topics here and there and am slowly feeling like I fit in.
I too read the article and have gained back ~32GB :shock: by deleting 10 of the twelve snapshot images and I have set the schedule to monthly/2.
Again, welcome, and enjoy your stay.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
deepakdeshp
Level 17
Level 17

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB
bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 »

Welcome to the Forum. :D
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

Return to “Introduce yourself”