New to forums

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Garim
Level 1
Level 1

New to forums

Post by Garim »

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums but have been using Linux and Mint for a while now. Actually I've used a lot of distros over the years. I started with Fedora back around 2002 because I was upset with Windows. I had a positive experience with Solaris workstations in college, and decided to try installing Linux on my personal computer. Since then I've used various flavors of Linux on my primary machines and personal servers, including Fedora, CentOS, PCLinuxOS, openSUSE, Manjaro, Debian, Ubuntu, and finally a few years ago I found Mint... and haven't looked back. I still occasionally play with other OSes in virtual machines. I've recently played around with Haiku, ReactOS, Tiny Core, Darwin, Menuet, and Kolibri. Some neat ideas, but nothing I'd want to use on a daily basis.

So I'm definitely no stranger to unix, but I think I'm at the point where I know just enough to get in trouble :lol: For most tasks I can enact or find a solution, but every so often something will lock up or crash and I simply have no idea what to do about it. I'm hoping that I can help answer some questions on these forums, and maybe ask a few interesting ones myself.

On a personal note, I spend my days working on cloud-based applications for a nationwide software company. Mostly C# and Angular, but sometimes I get to play with bash scripts because we use Alpine Linux containers and Docker. In what little free time I can find, I tinker with my own personal programming projects, dabble in photography, write (mostly sci-fi and fantasy), and relax with video games (mostly Left 4 Dead 2 and EverQuest 2 lately).

- Jamie
"Garim" comes from one of my EQ characters
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: New to forums

Post by Pierre »

Hi Jamie,
welcome to our forum.
:)

most of us, have also experimented with some other Linux Systems, as well.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Welcome
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Welcome »

Welcome Jamie! You've had a lot of experience with a lot of distros. Glad to see you find Linux Mint to be the most useful and best for you overall.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

Welcome to the Forum. :D
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Jamie,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forum, I'm sure with your experience you'll be of help to many :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Introduce Yourself”