Staying with Mint after distro hopping.

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
AbitOnTheMintySide
Level 1
Level 1

Staying with Mint after distro hopping.

Post by AbitOnTheMintySide »

Hi all,

Former WIndows user that was always looking to get away as soon as Windows 10 came along.
I honestly thought making the switch would be dfficult, in reality it's been smooth and almost hassle free.
We did some distro hopping but settled with Mint. Mint's GUI and ease of navigation being the main reasons

Currently running Mint 20 Cinnamon on a Ryzen 5 desktop. No issues to date, runs smooth.
Also running Mint 20 Cinnamon on an HP Kaby Lake laptop. Same again, no issues.
We have another Ryzen 3 laptop that will run Mint but it has driver problems. I'll have to dig deeper in a hope to make the change from WIndows 10 on that machine. See my other post for a list of issues: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=335317

Thanks for reading :D
Welcome
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Staying with Mint after distro hopping.

Post by Welcome »

Hi AbitOnTheMintySide! Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear that the transition was mostly smooth for you. It was for me. Sometimes after reading the many issues that others experience I think I must have been very fortunate. So far, I've converted 32 machines from Windows to Linux Mint. I still have one old Windows 7 machine that I save just in case I need Windows, and I have about 6 spare HDDs with various Windows versions. I've used them when I need to update firmware. Although ... now I've downloaded Hiren's BootCD PE (community edition) that I might be able to use a live USB to do firmware updates.
Edit: an excess word
Last edited by Welcome on Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello AbitOnTheMintySide,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forum, enjoy! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
AbitOnTheMintySide
Level 1
Level 1

Welcome wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:19 am
Hi AbitOnTheMintySide! Welcome to the forum! Glad to hear that the transition was mostly smooth for you. It was for me. Sometimes after reading the many issues that others experience I think I must have been very fortunate. So far, I've converted 32 machines from Windows to Linux Mint. I still have one old Windows 7 machine that I save just in case I need Windows, and I have about 6 spare HDDs with various Windows versions. I've used them when I need to update firmware. Although ... now I've downloaded Hiren's BootCD PE (community edition) that I might be able to use a live USB to do firmware updates.
Edit: an excess word
Thanks for the welcome, Welcome!

I can't say we'll be going back to Windows however enticing. Linux runs smooth, you can tell it isn't bogged down by the speed alone.
We only have one Windows 10 machine in our home since the switch. I guess it'll come in handy for the odd USB creation.
I'm not sure we would have switched if Windows 7 was still the main OS on the scene. Loving Mint though and all it has to offer :)

Like you I wanted to keep a Windows 7 machine handy but I bricked it during a bios update (Dell Optiplex) 1st time in my 30 or so years of using PC's. :oops:
Now it's only fit for the junkyard I guess. Oh well, will look around for another I guess.
AbitOnTheMintySide
Level 1
Level 1

kc1di wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:03 pm
Hello AbitOnTheMintySide,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forum, enjoy! :)
Thanks buddy! :)
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

Welcome AbitOnTheMintySide, glad to see another Windoze convert. I miss very little about Windoze myself. I have found all the replacement applications that I need for my everyday use.
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 20 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
Mint 20.1 Cinnamon
AMD© APU A4-5300B @ 3.4GHz 8GiB
emmalfal
Level 1
Level 1

Post by emmalfal »

I came over to Mint around this time last year. Not a scintilla of regret. I dual boot, but I can't remember the last time I booted into Windows. I only do that when I absolutely have to and then I can't wait to get the hell out of there. The move, for me, was life changing. Everything is just cleaner, smoother, easier. If I have one complaint, it's that I've had so few problems during the past year, my troubleshooting skills are going to hell. Welcome abroad. I suspect you won't regret it, either.
Lucap
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Lucap »

Welcome wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:19 am
now I've downloaded Hiren's BootCD PE (community edition) that I might be able to use a live USB to do firmware updates.
I've considered Hirens and Barts in the past for firmware updates to avoid Windows but i dislike the amount of Virus alerts they have triggered for users , very likely false positives but not something i would want to risk without knowing.

@AbitOnTheMintySide If you should ever want to look at other Distros you can always load them up in Gnome Boxes as a virtual computer that will leave your Mint install alone.
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U

Return to “Introduce yourself”