Introduction

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
Frank Pereny
Level 1
Level 1

Introduction

Post by Frank Pereny »

Hello,
My name is Frank and I have just installed Linux Mint and been playing with it for a couple of days. WOW, it's fantastic and has FAR exceeded my expectations. I'm sure this is due to the hard work of the community, so thanks to everyone involved in making such a great product! :mrgreen:

With the recent events of Google, Facebook, Amazon etc. I am quite committed to moving to "alt tech" and part of that is a complete transition to FOSS as much as possible. Linux Mint seems like it will be a perfect opportunity to confidently make the change.

I'm interested in getting involved in helping the Linux Mint project either through coding (which I am not the best but interested in) and other means. If anyone has any suggestions in how to get involved in supporting the project I'd be glad if you pointed me in the right direction.

Nice to meet you all and looking forward to further discourse!

Best,
Frank
GNULinux
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Introduction

Post by GNULinux »

Frank Pereny wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:45 pm
Hello,
My name is Frank and I have just installed Linux Mint and been playing with it for a couple of days. WOW, it's fantastic and has FAR exceeded my expectations. I'm sure this is due to the hard work of the community, so thanks to everyone involved in making such a great product! :mrgreen:

With the recent events of Google, Facebook, Amazon etc. I am quite committed to moving to "alt tech" and part of that is a complete transition to FOSS as much as possible. Linux Mint seems like it will be a perfect opportunity to confidently make the change.

I'm interested in getting involved in helping the Linux Mint project either through coding (which I am not the best but interested in) and other means. If anyone has any suggestions in how to get involved in supporting the project I'd be glad if you pointed me in the right direction.

Nice to meet you all and looking forward to further discourse!

Best,
Frank
nice to see you here frank
hope you like your stay in this linux world :wink:

for helping linuxmint project you can go to there official page it provides you with all input u need :D
here's the link for you : https://www.linuxmint.com/getinvolved.php :mrgreen:
hp 250-G6 Notebook PC 15.6"
intel core i3-7020u 4GB DDR4 RAM 1TB Hard Disk (1.5 Yrs old)
Linux Mint 20.1 "Ulyssa"
Frank Pereny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Frank Pereny »

Thanks very much. I will look into that.
Pierre
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pierre »

Hi Frank,
welcome to our forum.
:)

it's always great to hear that our LinuxMint System ihas been useful to someone.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
charlie1911
Level 1
Level 1

Post by charlie1911 »

I have been using Ubuntu for a long time, then my friend suggested to me to try Linux Mint. And I have to say that Linux Mint is very easy and comfortable to use as compared to Ubuntu. Here are the top things I like about Linux Mint.

1. Low memory usage
It is beneficial to those who have low-spec PCs. Mint is far more efficient than Ubuntu in terms of memory usage. It is worth noting that the memory consumption depends on what applications you’re running and if they’re resource-friendly. But, Linux Mint seems to be light on resources. This makes it an ideal choice for computers with older configurations.

2. Faster Software Manager
Ubuntu Software Center takes ages to load, heavily eats up resources, and is slow while interacting with it. You will often notice it loading up slow or freezing when updating/installing an app. On the other hand, Linux Mint’s Software Manager is lighter and quicker.

3. Themes, Applets, and Desklets
It is easy to install themes in Mint than in Ubuntu. You don’t need to install a new tool just to change themes in Mint. It already lets you tweak it from the System Settings. On top of that, you can have several themes from the community at your disposal in Themes System Settings under the ‘Get more online’ option. Linux Mint also has a separate entry in Settings for applets and desklets. You can also access an online collection of indicator applets and desklets.
Live Free and Happy.
kc1di
Level 16
Level 16

Post by kc1di »

Hello Frank,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, enjoy! :)
You can help in many ways. First learn as much as you can about the system, then be available to those who may need help on the forums.
Second, donations if you are able are always welcome by the team. You can find out how to do that on the main page. Tell your friends about Mint and help them to transition also. Good luck.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JerryF
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JerryF »

Welcome!
*** IF your problem has been solved, please edit your ORIGINAL post and add [SOLVED] to the beginning of the Subject Line. It helps other members when browsing posts. ***
Welcome
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Welcome »

Hi Frank! Welcome to the Linux Mint forums!

Helping others here in the forums is a great way to contribute. Look over the topics and try to help if you have some experience or knowledge that applies. There are many requests for help that go unanswered, and you can easy find these topics under the "Quick links" - "Unanswered topics" menu on any forum page (upper left).

Remember that the people who post questions represent society as a whole. And there are some cultural differences. Some are polite and kind, and others are aggressive and condescending. Perhaps they're frustrated or experiencing personal problems. Some are very thankful. Regardless of how people respond, always be kind and polite.

One word of advice: be aware of help vampires. I usually check a person's post history before I decide to help them. If they ask too many questons and don't do any research on their own, I'll pass on providing help.

Good luck if you decide to help here on the forums! Looking forward to seeing your posts!
deepakdeshp
Level 18
Level 18

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forums!
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 20 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 / 8GB
Mint 20 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U

Return to “Introduce yourself”