M$ Convert here... Enjoying the new experience!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ta2XaQt
Level 1
Level 1

M$ Convert here... Enjoying the new experience!

Post by Ta2XaQt »

Hello!
Just wanted to say hi. I've been contemplating moving into the linux distro world for some time(10+yrs), and finally went for it after moving to a new notebook. I should have made the migration to linux sooner, but kept putting it off until I could afford new hardware to incentivise all the extra effort to migrate my CAD and 3D printing profiles etc to a new environment... still in process, but I'm getting better acquainted with the OS in the process.

I've had limited exposure to linux/ubuntu after one of my bro's made the switch a looong time ago, and more recently I was dabbling with a headless raspberry pie setup for running octoprint on a 3D printer.

Much to learn and become more familiar with, but I haven't been this excited about a new OS since setting up my first PC with Windows XP and following Black Viper's guides on tweaking services and setting up custom hardware profiles. :D

So far so good, on Mint 20.1
After some serious head-scratching and over-thinking some initial video/chipset driver issues that were spiking CPU to max and generating a lot of heat, things are running cool and quiet. Figuring out how easy it was to update the kernel was one of my bigger hurdles, lol!

Using TLPUI and another cpu ap in the system tray has improved battery life to respectable levels. Almost every day I've been getting new updates which continue to improve the experience, and I expect a lot more tweaks and customizations will come as I develop my linux literacy over time.

Really appreciate all the relevant info, guides, and help that I've found here.
Cheers to all who have contributed!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: M$ Convert here... Enjoying the new experience!

Post by Moonstone Man »

Welcome to the forum.
Ta2XaQt wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:06 pm Much to learn and become more familiar with, but I haven't been this excited about a new OS since setting up my first PC with Windows XP ...
That's where all the fun is for many of us.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Ta2XaQt,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

What new latptop did you get? It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hi Ta2XaQt ,
welcome to our forum
:)

it's great to hear that you've finally made the plunge to convert to an Linux System.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

phd21 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:11 am It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.
You know, you could wait until they actually have a question. :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Ta2XaQt,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, enjoy! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome!
Welcome
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Welcome »

Hi Ta2XaQt!
Welcome to the Linux Mint forums!
Ta2XaQt wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:06 pm ... and following Black Viper's guides ...
... a very good memory from the past! :D
Ta2XaQt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ta2XaQt »

phd21 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:11 am Hi Ta2XaQt,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

What new latptop did you get? It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.
Thank you,
It's a 2020 issue of ASUS ZenBook 13 UX325EA with Intel i7 and iRIS X^e graphics (8Gb shared ram, 512Gb ssd)

I decided to keep the pre-installed Windows X on a smaller partition, and followed a few different guides to accomplish setting up dual-booting without too many headaches. Glad that I consulted multiple sources that helped me better understand the partitioning process, and using more intuitive gparted to setup the drive before running the installer. I went with separate partitions for the Linux OS, Swap(maybe didn't need?), and Home. And also tossed in a file-sharing ntfs partition as basically a shared drive/DMZ for when I might need to migrate or work on files across both OS's... maybe I'll put my Downloads folder there as well to make it safer to periodically empty-out.

Here is the inxi -Fxzd output:
System:
Kernel: 5.8.0-43-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: N/A Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6
Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: ZenBook UX325EA_UX325EA v: 1.0
serial: <filter>
Mobo: ASUSTeK model: UX325EA v: 1.0 serial: <filter> UEFI: American Megatrends LLC.
v: UX325EA.303 date: 12/29/2020
Battery:
ID-1: BAT0 charge: 65.9 Wh condition: 65.9/67.1 Wh (98%) model: ASUSTeK UX325
CPU:
Topology: Quad Core model: 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 bits: 64 type: MT MCP
arch: Tiger Lake rev: 1 L2 cache: 12.0 MiB
flags: avx avx2 lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 44851
Speed: 1494 MHz min/max: 400/4700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1494 2: 1364 3: 1385
4: 1403 5: 1344 6: 1322 7: 1205 8: 1299
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel vendor: ASUSTeK driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 0000:00:02.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.9 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel Xe Graphics (TGL GT2)
v: 4.6 Mesa 21.1.0-devel (git-c6ed8bf 2021-02-18 focal-oibaf-ppa) direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: Intel vendor: ASUSTeK driver: sof-audio-pci bus ID: 0000:00:1f.3
Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.8.0-43-generic
Network:
Device-1: Intel driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: 3000 bus ID: 0000:00:14.3
IF: wlo1 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 476.94 GiB used: 130.02 GiB (27.3%)
ID-1: /dev/nvme0n1 vendor: Intel model: SSDPEKNW512G8 size: 476.94 GiB
RAID:
Hardware-1: Intel Volume Management Device NVMe RAID Controller driver: vmd v: 0.6
bus ID: 0000:00:0e.0
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 45.58 GiB used: 11.05 GiB (24.2%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p6
ID-2: /home size: 286.58 GiB used: 118.94 GiB (41.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/nvme0n1p8
ID-3: swap-1 size: 7.63 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/nvme0n1p7
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 32.0 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (RPM): cpu: 0
Info:
Processes: 278 Uptime: 4m Memory: 7.48 GiB used: 1.25 GiB (16.7%) Init: systemd
runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.3.0 Shell: bash v: 5.0.17 inxi: 3.0.38

Thanks to everyone for the welcomes!
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to Linux Mint forums,
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Ta2XaQt,

From your post and comments, you seem to be adept with computers and doing well with Linux Mint.
Ta2XaQt wrote:It's a 2020 issue of ASUS ZenBook 13 UX325EA with Intel i7 and iRIS X^e graphics (8Gb shared ram, 512Gb ssd)
-- I looked up your new laptop and it has very nice specifications and a very good battery life.

Asus ZenBook 13 (2020) review: This small laptop makes a big impression - CNET
https://www.cnet.com/news/asus-zenbook- ... mpression/

ZenBook 13 UX325 (11th Gen Intel)|Laptops For Home|ASUS Global
https://www.asus.com/Laptops/For-Home/Z ... Gen-Intel/

You probably already know about this great website with useful Linux and computer information.
Easy Linux Tips Project: Speed Up your Mint!
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... -mint.html

After reading the results of the "inxi -Fxzd" (lsusb?), I have some observations:

-- You do not need the swap partition any more because newer versions of Linux use a swap file. You would have to check and see if the OS is even using the swap partition. If you use Hibernation (I do not), then you might want to use the swap partition; read the links below.

How To Use A Swap File Instead Of A Swap Partition On Linux - Linux Uprising Blog
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/08/h ... -swap.html

How To Add Swap Space on Ubuntu 20.04 | DigitalOcean
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... untu-20-04

-- I noticed you are using the "oibaf ppa" for the video and video mesa drivers. I have also used that PPA for previous Linux Mint versions. Linux Mint 20 + (Ubuntu 20.04+) already has current video and mesa drivers without adding any related PPA. Yet with Ubuntu 20.04, I read that using the Kisak-mesa PPA provides the latest point release of Mesa. I do not know if that would make a positive difference or not over the "oibaf ppa", but see the links below. If you decide to use another PPA, remove the previous PPA(s) first. Obviously, after install any new hardware drivers or PPA, restart your computer.

Install Mesa Graphics Drivers on Ubuntu [Latest and Stable]
https://itsfoss.com/install-mesa-ubuntu/

Recommended GPU Drivers for Linux - yuzu
https://yuzu-emu.org/wiki/recommended-g ... for-linux/

-- People with very new computers like yours and others with certain hardware can benefit by installing and using a newer Linux Kernel which is always safe to do since you can just reboot into a previous Kernel if there are any issues. I see you are using v5.8.xx, so you might consider trying 5.10 or 5.11 series. Anyone can search for and read about the newer Linux Kernels like version 5.11.xx that is now available. I have installed 5.11.0 and it is working well on my system.

The Linux Mint Update Manager is the preferred way to install and manage Linux Kernels for Linux Mint, but they do not usually have the newer Kernels. I use a script utility to manage my Linux Kernels, ubuntu-mainline-kernel.sh, see link below.

Linux 5.11 is out with AMD and Intel improvements (and Linus Torvalds is happy) | ZDNet
https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-5-1 ... -is-happy/

New Linux 5.11 Released, This is What's New - OMG! Ubuntu!
https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2021/02/new ... l-features

2 Utilities To Install The Latest Kernel In Ubuntu Or Linux Mint (GUI and Command Line) - Linux Uprising Blog
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2018/10/2 ... el-in.html

GitHub - pimlie/ubuntu-mainline-kernel.sh: Bash script for Ubuntu (and derivatives) to easily (un)install kernels from the Ubuntu Kernel PPA
https://github.com/pimlie/ubuntu-mainline-kernel.sh

--- I also noticed that your computer has an IR webcam built-in, so if you want to use that as a MS Windows Hello facial recognition for logging into Linux and some other password stuff, consider installing Linux Howdy.

"Howdy" is a Linux version of MS Windows Hello facial recognition. - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=60&t=334771&hilit=howdy

-- For computer intensive applications and or procedures like video and or audio editing, etc... your system may adjust the CPU cores properly or you can install a CPU Indicator applet or auto-cpufreq, etc... and use that for setting a faster CPU speed (performance vs power save).
Ta2XaQt wrote:Speed: 1494 MHz min/max: 400/4700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1494 2: 1364 3: 1385
4: 1403 5: 1344 6: 1322 7: 1205 8: 1299
Change CPU Governor And Frequencies On Linux With cpupower-gui (New Release) - Linux Uprising Blog
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2020/10/c ... es-on.html

auto-cpufreq Is A New CPU Speed And Power Optimizer For Linux - Linux Uprising Blog
https://www.linuxuprising.com/2020/01/a ... power.html

GitHub - AdnanHodzic/auto-cpufreq: Automatic CPU speed & power optimizer for Linux
* recommend installing using "git" versus snap method
https://github.com/AdnanHodzic/auto-cpufreq

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Johnny Mnemonic
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Johnny Mnemonic »

Welcome to the forumTa2XaQ.
Ta2XaQt wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:06 pm ...extra effort to migrate my CAD and 3D printing profiles etc to a new environment...
I've yet to get my printers down to where I'm living yet but I am eager to get going with them using Linux for the first time.
I was running a "gratuitous" install of Simplify3D for a slicer-don't remember what I was using to create and modify though :?: hmph
What are you going to go with now that your using Linux??
Take a nap and try again.
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Linuxmint
Description: Linux Mint 20
Release: 20
Codename: ulyana

TheyLive
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TheyLive »

Ta2XaQt wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:06 pm ...
CAD and 3D printing profiles etc to a new environment... still in process
Hi!
Very interesting.
What CAD (program and format) are you using?
>>>>> Goodly Mint <<<<< Only browser addon for this forum
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Ta2XaQt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ta2XaQt »

phd21 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:16 pm
-- You do not need the swap partition any more because newer versions of Linux use a swap file. You would have to check and see if the OS is even using the swap partition. If you use Hibernation (I do not), then you might want to use the swap partition; read the links below.

Thank you for all the helpful information!
I was noticing the swap partition being seemingly empty, but haven't investigated much further. Don't anticipate needing/wanting hibernate given how fast booting is on its own, so I'll be looking into optional uses or deleting the swap partition altogether.

I will be going through your other suggestions/tips incrementally, as you've already touched on a few of the things I wanted to address with my setup!

Honestly, I was clueless about kernel options at first startup, and went in many directions trying to resolve the pegged CPU usage issues before learning how to update the kernel. I was scrutinizing options for graphics drivers, and gave the oibaf ppa a shot, but don't think it is necessary any more as you suggested. It seems odd to me that almost every day I'm online, the update manager usually has a mesa video update to install...

I've been reluctant to update/install anything that isn't an option in the Update or Software Managers now, since I've noticed a number of guides online reference older versions of linux/ubuntu and no longer seem to work the same in Mint 20.1 Cinnamon, while the terminal still accepts the commands... Some days I don't feel much more capable than "monkey see, monkey do" and it gets me into trouble. :lol:

Performance and power-saving are top priorities for me. The battery life of this Zenbook was a big selling point for me. I'm using TLPUI, but probably need to experiment with it some more to maximize power saving... I had to take some steps back after it began messing with my audio device and killing stereo output, but I still feel like more could be done to save power when I'm just doing email or word processing.
Also have the Indicator-cpufreq applet installed and set to powersave without noticing negative effects, but not sure it's actually doing anything that TLP isn't doing already... will be looking into the other options you suggested! :thumbsup:

FYI

System Monitor shows all 8 CPU cores are on, with varying usages that actively fluctuate between 0-11%, with a random core jumping to 50% a few seconds at unpredictable spaced out intervals... CPU temp at 58degC

Memory is at 1.8GiB of 7.6GiB, and Swap usage is 3.8MiB of 7.6GiB... Just running system monitor and Firefox with 5 tabs open.

Cheers
Ta2XaQt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ta2XaQt »

Johnny Mnemonic wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:45 pm Welcome to the forumTa2XaQ.
Ta2XaQt wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:06 pm ...extra effort to migrate my CAD and 3D printing profiles etc to a new environment...
I've yet to get my printers down to where I'm living yet but I am eager to get going with them using Linux for the first time.
I was running a "gratuitous" install of Simplify3D for a slicer-don't remember what I was using to create and modify though :?: hmph
What are you going to go with now that your using Linux??
I've almost exclusively used FreeCAD to design parts from scratch and import STL's to tweak, and Ultimaker Cura to slice. Both have Linux 64 Bit versions that I've installed, but also have yet to finish setting up and start printing from scratch again. Still haven't setup the FreeCAD addons and workbenches, and the new version of Cura has a few more capabilities than what my old 32bit windows machine had. :crossedfingers:
Ta2XaQt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ta2XaQt »

TheyLive wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:13 pm Hi!
Very interesting.
What CAD (program and format) are you using?

I primarily use https://www.freecadweb.org/ now after getting hooked on other parametric modelling programs that migrated out of my price range, or no longer work in a completely offline environment when I'm based off-grid for extended periods.
My own projects I keep in the native project file format, but it has many export/import options. My designs are typically parts based off of constrained sketches, but there's a huge amount of options using 3D solids, booleans, and loft/draft/cut/array/merge operations to make some very complex and useful 3D designs easy to execute in realtime.

I'm looking forwards to maximizing FreeCAD capabilities with the vastly-improved computing power I have now, including opening up some architectural design and FEM.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Ta2XaQt,

You are welcome...
ellevy12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ellevy12 »

Does everything work out of the box in the UX325ea ?

because they sell it here without OS so it looks very promise...
Ta2XaQt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Ta2XaQt »

ellevy12 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:31 am Does everything work out of the box in the UX325ea ?

because they sell it here without OS so it looks very promise...
PM replied to.

Recommend an internet search on Linux Zenbook installations for anyone interested... Dual-booting is a little more complicated, but I've managed with not too much difficulty. Best to grab the latest bios update available from the https://www.asus.com/us/support/ website.

Be prepared for it to run hot and consume lots of power until you update to the newest Kernel available in the Update Manager... I'll probably be manually updating to 5.10 or 5.11 per phd21's suggestion to see if it further improves things for me. TLPUI has helped to improve power consumption, but it still seems slightly less economical than Windows 10 battery consumption.

Only thing that hasn't worked for me so far are the additional touchpad features, but I haven't really tried to enable those capabilities yet.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”