Jumping into Linux Mint

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mstrick96

Jumping into Linux Mint

Post by mstrick96 »

I'm not quite a "Newbie", so I guess you can call me an "Amateur"! I've played around with Linux a good bit over the years. I have dual booted with Windows and also have run live CDs and USBs. My only pure Linux systems have been on an old XP system and on a Raspberry Pi.

I'm now switching to Linux Mint with Cinnamon to use on several systems that are currently are suffering from Windows Rot including an old Dell Windows Vista system, a Dell Inspiron 5500 Laptop currently running Windows 10, an HP Windows 10 "desktop" that is horribly slow. and I'll probably try upgrading the Dell Windows XP system to see how it does. I expect to be using Linux a lot more, but mainly as a hobby.

I also will still be running Windows 10 systems in a Dell XPS Desktop that I have set up for running Photoshop. I also have a Windows 10 Pro Dell Inspiron 2 in 1 laptop on order. I'll be using these for my art business.

You might notice that I'm a big fan of Dell computers. The only non-Dell is the HP system which is terrible, Not impressed with Hewlett Packard at all, but I think Linux Mint will bring it to life!

I'll probably be coming to the forum quite a bit for advice. Especially for suggestions on what to do with a network of Linux systems!

Mike S
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Jumping into Linux Mint

Post by Pierre »

Hi Mike,
welcome to our forum
:)

you should find that those older Vista PCs are an ideal candidate for conversion to LinuxMint.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
CarrotCake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CarrotCake »

Welcome amateur-newcomer :wink:
mstrick96 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:31 pm You might notice that I'm a big fan of Dell computers. The only non-Dell is the HP system which is terrible, Not impressed with Hewlett Packard at all, but I think Linux Mint will bring it to life!
I can imagine it depends a lot on which specific hardware it is... I like my HP laptop, personally. Biggest negatives are the battery I'm not really impressed about, and the amount of bloatware HP delivers with its Windows 10 pre-installed OS. I really like the high-resolution IPS screen.
At work, we all have Dell systems. With these, we hardly have any problems (albeit al running Windows, of course), they are clearly designed to be used a lot. Great battery life. But the display (on my Inspiron, a simple full HD lcd panel) lacks sprite, and the maximum brightness is mediocre.
Running Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon on a Lenovo Ideapad 16ACH6
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Mike,
Welcome to Linux mint Forums, enjoy the freedom! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Welcome
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Welcome »

mstrick96 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:31 pm ... including an old Dell Windows Vista system, a Dell Inspiron 5500 Laptop ... and I'll probably try upgrading the Dell Windows XP system to see how it does. ...
You might notice that I'm a big fan of Dell computers. ... Especially for suggestions on what to do with a network of Linux systems!
Hi Mike!
Welcome to the Linux Mint forums! :D

I have a bunch of Dell laptops, mostly Studio 1747s from long ago. I like how they're relatively easy to repair. Here's a suggestion for your network of Linux systems: set them up with some local network games for when the kids come to visit. :D
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
mstrick96

Post by mstrick96 »

Thanks for the welcome!
I installed Mint with Cinnamon on my little HP 26-a010 and am thrilled with its performance! Runs great, especially compared to Windows 10. I was wondering if it was capable of handling Cinnamon. Ran some of the benchmarks in hardinfo and the CPU is plenty powerful!

The biggest problem with it is that Hewlett Packard only installed 4 GB of RAM on it. Now that I'm happy with it, I will be upgrading it to 16GB.

Starting on my Dell systems tomorrow. I am completely eliminating Windows!
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome to Mint and the forums!

If you find that Mint Cinnamon is to much for one or more of your systems, you may want to try the other desktop environments, namely MATE or Xfce.

We have a Gateway desktop and an HP laptop that's running fine on Mint.

The HP laptop has dual boot: Windows 10 and Mint Xfce. Both run well on my model EliteBook 8460p.
golddigger

Post by golddigger »

mstrick96 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:31 pm My only pure Linux systems have been on an old XP system and on a Raspberry Pi.
I honestly wish that I had got into all that Raspberry Pi stuff. It has always sounded very interesting to me.
I bet it teaches you things that most people will not encounter but, still, gives a lot of insight into problems
and how to overcome them

I'm a bit of a noob myself in the mint forums but with experience of Linux
so HI ! to you
welcome
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the Linux Mint forums!
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Introduce Yourself”