Hi

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nefariouseden
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Post by nefariouseden »

I'm Eden. I've essentially just fallen off the turnip truck and know next to nothing about Linux. My partner suggested it to me after I was having persistent issues with Windows, particularly Windows Update, so I chose Mint as my starting point. Now I'm starting to get interested and am wanting to learn the ins and outs of things.

I don't usually frequent forums, and I'm pretty nervous about asking questions if and when they pop up, but I felt I should introduce myself in case I decide to hang out or jump in to any of the open chat forums.

It's nice to meet you all, I hope we can get along. And hopefully nobody minds that I'm basically a toddler with a piece of technology, lol.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
...so sayeth Eden.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Hi

Post by Moem »

nefariouseden wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 3:51 pm I've essentially just fallen off the turnip truck and know next to nothing about Linux.
That is an excellent starting point! Hello, Eden, welcome to the forum and to Mint.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi nefariouseden, Eden,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

-- Hi Eden :). Welcome. That's a good attitude you have there. It's never a bad thing to have the courage to want to learn something different. However, it is also wise to backup that courage with some cautious knowledge too.

The first thing I recommend you learn how to do and get comfy doing often is your system backups. It's most often when us noobs start tinkering with things that some things bend out of shape or break altogether.

A good system image backup can easily serve as a dependable dedicating " rewind" remote control to put things back to before something bent or broke

Foxclone is a solid product for this. The software dev AndyM is on this site here and there, is pretty nice, and does well to communicate with people when they need help with it.

Timeshift that comes already installed into Linux Mint 20.1 Cinnamon ( unsure about other flavors like Mate or XFCE) is more of a simplified way but takes snapshots ( not quite the caliber of a system image backup or clone) just enough to get things bootable again in case a kernel update or grub update messes that up.

Next - on this site, please ensure you stay in the habit of posting the results of inxi -Fxxxrz command from a terminal Window if you need help troubleshooting or diagnosing problems. Although many problems might not be hardware related directly depending on the nature of the problem you could need help with, it's a quick way for us to see what you're working with to narrow down suspects.

You will probably notice with this site like any other that there are a few arrogant bad apples who do know much, but are rude about it, but most here are nice ...AND..helpful. I try to be the latter if I can, but I have much to learn also.

Just remember there is nothing wrong with taking your breaks from Linux as needed. You won't learn how this world works overnight just like how you didn't learn how Windows worked overnight either. Be patient with yourself and you'll be able to do all kinds of cool stuff in no time.

Cheers--
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
nefariouseden
Level 1
Level 1

Post by nefariouseden »

motoryzen wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:12 pm You won't learn how this world works overnight just like how you didn't learn how Windows worked overnight either.
Ha, hopefully I'll get my footing soon at least. I've been using computers since I was around 6, so maybe that will give me an advantage in learning how different operating systems work.

Thank you for your suggestions, I'll be sure to do that. And thank you everyone for the warm welcome!
...so sayeth Eden.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello nefariouseden,
Welcome to Linux Mint forums, enjoy! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Introduce Yourself”