Tolayon says Hello

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Tolayon
Level 2
Level 2

Tolayon says Hello

Post by Tolayon »

Hello everyone,

after one year on Linux Mint 19.2 Xfce I decided to finally register. Not because I have any problems, but becaus I hope I perhaps can help some others who so far have not been quite that lucky as me :)
However, I'm not an IT guy in any way, shape or form, just some ordinary dude who has managed his way into Linux.

Here my experiences as short as possible:
I started in late 2018 by testing out several live ISOs on my Windows 7 PC. Since it has only 4 GB of ram and a dual-core CPU, I decided to go with the Xfce desktop right away. Linux Mint was my first choice, followed by Xubuntu and MX Linux. Then I went a bigger round along the block, trying out Flagship Ubuntu and Linux Mint Cinnamon among some other Distros. On this journey with dozens of live sessions, I found out that my old Asus mobo wouldn't accept any kind of Linux with Kernel version above 4.15 with systemd involved. MX Linux, which boots without systemd, ran even with Kernel 4.19, but later MX versions with that same Kernel soon would refuse to boot in a regular way.
So when the time came to finally settle on a distro in February 2020, it was Linux Mint 19.2, the last version still featuring the 4.15 Kernel - and so far it hasn't let me down.

However, before I installed Linux Mint Xfce on my trusty old machine, I bought a brand new Windows 10 Laptop with slightly better specs for mainstream compatibility. Good enough for some basic virtualization (it runs Windows 10 Pro), so I added virtualbox and the very first Linux distro I ever installed - albeit in a vritual machine - was Fedora Cinnamon. I always wanted to try out that one, too, and finally was able to. The usual Fedora shenannigans with RPM Fusion and Codecs were realyy no big deal, but I had informed myself beforehand. Since that time I have been installing several other distros, and I boot my Laptop about once a week for running VMs and doing some other stuff, leaving my now Linux Mint machine as my daily driver.

Attached you will find a scaled-down screenshot of my current layout and theming. I change the wallpaper quite a lot, and when I feel it looks better, I change themes and icons as well to match - including custom-colorized menu icons.

Greetings from Germany! :)
Attachments
LM_Xfce_AhsokMandor.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nefariouseden
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Tolayon says Hello

Post by nefariouseden »

Hi Tolayon, welcome to the forums!

I think it's super neat that you change your theme colors to match your wallpaper. I'm thinking of it, since my wallpaper is purple, but I honestly love how the green looks on the dark theme.

Here's to hoping you will find a sense of community here!
...so sayeth Eden.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Tolayon,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, enjoy! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Introduce Yourself”