Hello all

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cybuzz73
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

Post by cybuzz73 »

Hi all, i just joined the community because i am having an issue with making Mint my daily driver. I posted that issue in newbie questions.

Anyway, i am new to Mint but not new to Linux. I have been using it on and off since i found Slackware in 93. i have used it for servers, desktops, laptops etc. i recently switched this machine to Mint because i am trying to learn Python/Flask and found that as i work on the CLI i like Linux better than windows. I also previously used a Mac and obviously liked the CLI there too.

I look forward to learning from the Mint gurus as i go down this road of education.

CyBuzz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Hello all

Post by Pierre »

Hi cybuzz73 ,
welcome to our forum.
:)

it would seem that most of us LinuxMint Users, have migrated away from another Linux System.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello CyBuzz,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, enjoy! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

cybuzz73 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:56 am Hi all, i just joined the community because i am having an issue with making Mint my daily driver. I posted that issue in newbie questions.

Anyway, i am new to Mint but not new to Linux. I have been using it on and off since i found Slackware in 93. i have used it for servers, desktops, laptops etc. i recently switched this machine to Mint because i am trying to learn Python/Flask and found that as i work on the CLI i like Linux better than windows. I also previously used a Mac and obviously liked the CLI there too.

I look forward to learning from the Mint gurus as i go down this road of education.

CyBuzz
Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums,
How was your Apple experience vs Linux?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome!
cybuzz73
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cybuzz73 »

deepakdeshp wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:26 am Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums,
I liked my apple experience. hardware is expensive though. i really liked the interface and can get close to that with linux. i still have my 7 year old MacBookPro that i dust off every once and a while.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

cybuzz73 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:30 pm
deepakdeshp wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:26 am Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums,
I liked my apple experience. hardware is expensive though. i really liked the interface and can get close to that with linux. i still have my 7 year old MacBookPro that i dust off every once and a while.
Looks like the Mint interface gets close to the Apple one for smoothness. Curious as I never owned a Mac.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
cybuzz73
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cybuzz73 »

i have an 8 year old macbook pro and a 9 year old imac. they are both still up and running. the imac is slow as anything, might put mint on that to see if it runs better. the MBP actually is still pretty good and i still go back to it occasionally for things. I replaced it with a Dell XPS a little over a year ago. That is running windows and maybe someday i will put mint or some flavor of linux on it. My kids use it for gaming right now so not any time soon. It also has Nvidia in it...so there is that. My current one i am working on is a latitude5590. it seems to work well other than the display issue i have with it. Still trying to track that one down.

Anyway, my apple experience was good...hardware was solid...lasted quite a while but i think i am going to use linux as my daily driver going forward.
Glamtrains

Post by Glamtrains »

I had a 2012 MBP i5 2.5GHz 8GB RAM 1 TB SSD, the last one with the DVD drive on the side, 13.3". It was 3.3x faster than OSX Yosemite according to benchmark tests. Macbooks are know to run Linux well, also check at phoronix.com for test results.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”