Linux, Neuroplasticity and Stroke Recovery

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Glamtrains

Linux, Neuroplasticity and Stroke Recovery

Post by Glamtrains »

I am one of the 93 LM users in South Africa, out of a population of some 56 million plus another five or ten million mostly illegal immigrants. 0.000001661%

Read how learning Linux had helped a patient recover from multiple CVA (stroke) over several years and he is still recovering, making reasonable progress. Linux helped the brain to lay down new paths. The basal ganglia cluster in the brain is, in fact, the brain's own BIOS system. Some readers may find this interesting, especially those with an interest in neuropsychology. https://proverbsofpete.blogspot.com/202 ... elped.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Linux, Neuroplasticity and Stroke Recovery

Post by kc1di »

Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, thanks for the link.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
Glamtrains

Post by Glamtrains »

Thanks
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Glamtrains wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:28 amRead how learning Linux had helped a patient recover from multiple CVA (stroke) over several years
Interesting. I had never looked at Linux from a medical perspective. :)
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline
Glamtrains

Post by Glamtrains »

Perhaps the medical research gurus can undertake studies in this field.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Glamtrains wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:28 am I am one of the 93 LM users in South Africa, out of a population of some 56 million plus another five or ten million mostly illegal immigrants. 0.000001661%

Read how learning Linux had helped a patient recover from multiple CVA (stroke) over several years and he is still recovering, making reasonable progress. Linux helped the brain to lay down new paths. The basal ganglia cluster in the brain is, in fact, the brain's own BIOS system. Some readers may find this interesting, especially those with an interest in neuropsychology. https://proverbsofpete.blogspot.com/202 ... elped.html
Welcome on board the crazy train! :lol:

Glad you're with us.

The comments you made about neuroplasticity and such track with what a (now late) friend of mine did in getting into computers in the first place, back in the 1980s. He'd had a severe head trauma accident (someone on a jetski had slammed into him while he was swimming on a beach) and while there were many, many components to his recovery, one of them had been to pursue something completely divergent from anything with which he had prior experience: owning a computer. In his case, he got a Macintosh Plus (like I had) and then slowly learned everything he could, and kept upgrading over the years. (He passed away in 2012 due to other medical complications; he was in his 90s at the time.)
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

Glamtrains wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:28 am Linux helped the brain to lay down new paths. The basal ganglia cluster in the brain is, in fact, the brain's own BIOS system.
I'm banking on Linux to stave off Alzheimer's, assuming one or more of the 14 other age-related diseases I have don't get me first. I've always maintained that the brain doesn't wear out, it rusts out.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

@Glamtrains--Hi. Yes an interesting thread.

Elon Musk is also doing some interesting neuro research.
I'm banking on Linux to stave off Alzheimer's,
--perhaps so----it saved me from suffocation
while sitting in front of windows :mrgreen:
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I've always maintained that the brain doesn't wear out, it rusts out.
Agreed...Sounds like the old adage, What you don't use, you lose.

use it or lose it...lol...DAMIEN
Glamtrains

Post by Glamtrains »

Portreve wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:43 pm
Glamtrains wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:28 am I am one of the 93 LM users in South Africa, out of a population of some 56 million plus another five or ten million mostly illegal immigrants. 0.000001661%

Welcome on board the crazy train! :lol:

Glad you're with us.

The comments you made about neuroplasticity and such track with what a (now late) friend of mine did in getting into computers in the first place, back in the 1980s. He'd had a severe head trauma accident (someone on a jetski had slammed into him while he was swimming on a beach) and while there were many, many components to his recovery, one of them had been to pursue something completely divergent from anything with which he had prior experience: owning a computer. In his case, he got a Macintosh Plus (like I had) and then slowly learned everything he could, and kept upgrading over the years. (He passed away in 2012 due to other medical complications; he was in his 90s at the time.)
Sorry to learn about your friend's death.

We used to sell a software app decades ago, that was being used to help people recover from brain surgery, or physical trauma after accidents, etc., so there are applications of this idea, yet I totally forgot that after stroke and stumbled upon theis healing method merely by chance all by myself. In fact, I forgot all about Read-Com until you mentioned your friend's jetski accident. Read-Com was developed by a team of medical experts, led by Emma van Haemert, assisted by psichiatrist, psychologists, a neorologist, all sorts of therapists and programmers, if I remember correctly, in Pretoria, South Africa.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to Linux Mint Forums,
I need to remember that there is life after computer.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
Glamtrains

Post by Glamtrains »

Thanks for your welcoming note.

When I live less than 300 metres from the Atlantic sea shore yet cannot go there to see it, I think back to the many times I saw MS-DOS crash, or CP/M-80 freeze, Windows BSOd's ad nauseum, instead of having gone out to enjoy my former health - and my life - while I still could. That is something every young geek should be reading here; life is to be lived and computers may be great but they're not worth your lives.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”