new linux user here!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintFan20
Level 1
Level 1

new linux user here!

Post by MintFan20 »

hello all my name is MintFan20 and im 21 years old im also a beginner at linux Ive used linux mint off and on for at least a year now and decided to join the community to get even more tips on how to use it-MintFan20
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
  • Windows Insider Program Member 2020-2022
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: new linux user here!

Post by wallyUSA »

MintFan20 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:29 pm hello all my name is casimir and im 21 years old im also a beginner at linux Ive used linux mint off and on for at least a year now and decided to join the community to get even more tips on how to use it-MintFan20
Hi casimir,

Welcome to the forum. This is a great resource for answers and suggestions to your questions and issues. Many of the friendly members will freely share their suggestions. You may even find your own answer(s) by using the SEARCH option above.

Most all answers about how to use the forum can be found via the FAQ link at the top of this page.

Cheers!
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-102 Cinn 6.0.4
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello casimir,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, Enjoy! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome!
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

MintFan20 wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 12:29 pm hello all my name is casimir and im 21 years old im also a beginner at linux Ive used linux mint off and on for at least a year now and decided to join the community to get even more tips on how to use it-MintFan20
Welcome MintFan20

There is nothing more annoying or frustrating than data loss or a computer that can no longer boot up.

Thus... the 1st thing I recommend you do is get familiar with Timeshift and making backups with it and/or another method. ** Note Timeshift by default is set to automatically do backups. I recommend you turn that off and just stick with doing the backups..manually yourself and backing up to a separate storage drive. I say turn off automatic because you wouldn't believe how fast timeshift backups can fill up any drive and that can cause severe lag or freezing up problems**

Here is one example of that viewtopic.php?t=261840

Ensure that your backup drive is formatted to EXT4 ( which you can do either in Disks - has a wrench kind of icon - * aka gnome disks * utility or Gparted...I've never had a problem doing it via Disks) first, then launch Timeshift. The first time you launch timeshift it will kind of walk you through it's set up and is reasonably easy to deal with.

Once you're comfy doing Timeshift snapshot backups and have practiced restoring them ( preferably towards another storage drive just for the practicing part), then whatever reasonable risks you take with new software or setting or other what nots won't be that big of deal ( such as trying out a new kernel for example) as most often a Timeshift restoration will resolve the problem. Just ensure that everything works correctly as it should before doing that particular Timeshift backup and you can have a reasonable handfull of different Timeshift backups. Keep it preferably no more than around 5.

You can also always do system image backups as well as "clone" 's using foxclone. The dev for Foxclone is an active member here ( AndyMH or AndyHM..something like that).

Here's one of the first things I do when I install any Ubuntu-based ( such as Linux Mint Cinnamon that I prefer) Linux distro aka operating system: Adjusting mouse scroll wheel speed ..because OOTB..it's crap and too slow for my tastes. I wish the Mint team could implement some sort of gui based mouse scroll wheel speed adjuster ( this was the next thing on my suggestions list years ago before they were finally able to do the same thing with Refresh Rate adjustment via gui in the " Display" settings deal starting with Linux Mint 20 back in July 2020)

https://io.bikegremlin.com/11541/linux- ... oll-speed/

If you need fine granular help about it or anything else, just let us know. Cheers :D
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forums.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

This should be useful.
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=245700
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Introduce Yourself”