Salve a tutti!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Harald23
Level 1
Level 1

Salve a tutti!

Post by Harald23 »

Hello, I've been using Linux Mint MATE for the past 4-5 days, first time using Mint.

Since last year i've been looking for the most comfortable Linux distro for me and for this old Lenovo Flex laptop (that was struggling even to boot Windows 10 lately). I tried several distros sometimes changing due to some annoying issues, other times i just wanted to try all options and decide afterwards. I haven't had a particularly bad experience with any of the distros, but not even the absolute best experience to be honest.

First impressions so far are very positive when it comes to performance, it runs great maybe thanks to the lack of animations, but despite the age MATE still looks modern enough to my eyes, and the default apps are great. On the other hand the packages situation in the software manager (lack there of, or outdated packages) will take some getting used to coming from Tumbleweed.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Salve a tutti!

Post by RollyShed »

Welcome to the forum.

As for an old Lenovo Flex laptop, just how old? I personally don't class a laptop old until it is over 10 years old and maybe 15 years old. I also install Mint Cinnamon on everything because I prefer the set up options. Installations? Near 30 so experience with a good range of old laptops and desktops.
Harald23
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Harald23 »

RollyShed wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:51 pm Welcome to the forum.

As for an old Lenovo Flex laptop, just how old? I personally don't class a laptop old until it is over 10 years old and maybe 15 years old. I also install Mint Cinnamon on everything because I prefer the set up options. Installations? Near 30 so experience with a good range of old laptops and desktops.
2013-14.

AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD.

It's old but not terribly so, part of why i don't want to trash it, even at the cost of leaving it to my parents.

I didn't choose Cinnamon cause i tried both KDE Plasma and GNOME 3 before and they sometimes struggle with this hardware, i imagined the experience would be similar so i went with something a little lighter.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

Harald23 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:35 pm 2013-14.

AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD.

It's old but not terribly so, part of why I don't want to trash it, even at the cost of leaving it to my parents.
Yesterday I delivered a Samsung 2014 with Cinnamon and it goes well. As well as installing Mint, an SSD is the main reason for the upgrades.

The Shed had also been given a Samsung 2013 without a power supply so I used her power supply to check that it went. It did, just, with the installed Win10. I replaced Windows with Mint Cinnamon 20.2 and everything took half the time or less and no stops asking about virus checker updates or Windows updates.

The 2014 Samsung had had an SSD fitted so it obviously was twice as fast.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Harald23,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, enjoy! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Introduce Yourself”