Hello everybody

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
akramaster
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody

Post by akramaster »

Hi everybody.

A newbie here and using linux after long time without it. so, here we go again.

regards from Spain.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BJZilberman
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Hello everybody

Post by BJZilberman »

akramaster wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:18 am Hi everybody.

regards from Spain.
Ah yes, that feeling that you get back to actively using Linux. Welcome back to Linux and welcome to the Linux Mint forums! have a great time here 🙂
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

akramaster wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:18 am Hi everybody.

regards from Spain.
I too took a stab at Linux about 20 years ago, and what I found at that time, was pretty steep for a newcomer used to the Windows GUI. IIRC, there was something called PClinux ?? or was it ElementaryOS, don't remember anymore.

when LM 17 game along, and the Cinnamon Desktop had been introduced, I knew that I had found a new home, and bye bye Windows.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
BJZilberman
Level 2
Level 2

Post by BJZilberman »

AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:14 am when LM 17 game along, and the Cinnamon Desktop had been introduced, I knew that I had found a new home, and bye bye Windows.
And with Valve's Proton compatibility layer you may play any windows game without much issues on any Linux distro, don't know to say the same with other windows software because I've yet to try it, but I know you can basically run almost any executable with Proton.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

BJZilberman wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:21 am
AZgl1500 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:14 am when LM 17 game along, and the Cinnamon Desktop had been introduced, I knew that I had found a new home, and bye bye Windows.
And with Valve's Proton compatibility layer you may play any windows game without much issues on any Linux distro, don't know to say the same with other windows software because I've yet to try it, but I know you can basically run almost any executable with Proton.
Just looked that up, and as it seems, I am already "good to go" as I have a Licensed copy of CrossOver by CodeWeavers. and have my licensed copy of MS OFFICE Pro installed and works just fine. Can't tell the difference, except that it is much Faster than it was on my 10 year old Win7 desktop with a Spinning platter in it.
My laptop is just now 2 years old and has dual SSDs for Win10 and LM19.3

Proton is a compatibility layer for Microsoft Windows games to run on Linux-based operating systems. Proton is developed by Valve in cooperation with developers from CodeWeavers under contract. Wikipedia
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello akramaster,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, enjoy! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forums
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Introduce Yourself”