Greetings from chilly Finland

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xanaki
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings from chilly Finland

Post by xanaki »

Hola fellow Linux users

I am not new to Linux but I'm new to Mint. I have been using Linux as a programming box, and lately as a desktop since early Red Hat versions. More recent Linuxes were Ubuntu (and Ubuntu based) and now this latest one is Mint 20.2.

I'm a Finnish, male and around 50 years old, a software engineering professional (30+ years), I mainly do software in C++ but I know many other languages. Some, not all, programming languages that I've used are: Assembly (65x0, 808x, 680x0, ArmX, x86/64,...), C++, C, Java, C#, Php and even Perl + some more. From those C++ and C for 30ish years. I work as a software architect and agile project lead. Mostly in embedded SW space and IoT. I'm a enthusiastic supporter of Agile methods in SW development. I started programming very young actually in 1982 when I started copying the games I played. I was around 10 years old. Hobby Game development has stayed with me since and I still do that. Game related problems and algorithms provide good platform to learn new stuff.

I'm also a gamer myself and compose music as a hobby. MMO game genres of Scifi/Space and RPG are close to my heart (since 1997).

I joined Linux Mint family few weeks ago as I decided to trash the MacOS that was polluting my few years old MacBook Air (intel). I'll never regret that decision. This OS suits perfectly for this MacBook.
I do have Windows boxes as well for gaming and programming purposes.

Here's the candy for this current (new) setup on MacBook Air:

xanaki@Moonmac
--------------
Host: MacBookAir7,2 1.0
Kernel: 5.4.0-84-generic
Uptime: 1 day, 3 hours, 22 mins
Packages: 2143 (dpkg), 9 (flatpak)
Shell: fish 3.1.0
Resolution: 1440x900
DE: Cinnamon
WM: Mutter (Muffin)
WM Theme: Mint-Y-Dark-Blue (Mint-Y-D
Theme: Mint-Y-Dark-Blue [GTK2/3]
Icons: Mint-Y-Dark-Blue [GTK2/3]
Terminal: gnome-terminal
CPU: Intel i5-5250U (4) @ 2.700GHz
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 6000
Memory: 1362MiB / 7864MiB

See you out there :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bring me a shrubbery, Shrubbery of Mint. Ni!
From Finland with love and liquor since 1972.
deck_luck
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Greetings from chilly Finland

Post by deck_luck »

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forum. :D

Since Apple stopped MacOS support for my 2010 MacBook, it has been running Linux Mint 19. :lol:
My 2012 MacBook Pro dual boots Linux Mint19 and MacOS. Unfortunately, Apple has decided the 2012 MBP will not work on any MacOS above Catalina. When Apple stops updating Catalina the 2012 MBP will become LM19 daily driver.
🐧Linux Mint 20.3 XFCE (UEFI - Secure Boot Enabled) dual boot with Windows 11

Give a friend a fish, and you feed them for a day. Teach a friend how to fish, and you feed them for a lifetime. ✝️
xanaki
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xanaki »

I think I could've installed a up-to-date version of MacOS for my Air but since I like Linux much better and it suits for my purposes I decided to go for Mint. I sacked the whole MacOS and replaced it with Linux.

I have been using normal Ubuntu based Linux OSes for quite a long time (latest on my PC is 20.04) but I heard good things about Mint so decided to try it. And I like it. Cinnamon as a UI is great and gives a familiar feeling.

BESIDES now that I have Mint on my Mac I am not tied to how MacOS looks and behaves. I can switch the behaviour with another Window Manager if I so desire.

I was quite surprised how painlessly the Mint installation went on my Air. WHAT the initial installation did not manage to do automatically was to enable the network adapter on that piece of machine. So the MacBook could not find any WiFi networks after the installation. But it was pretty easy to enable the Network adapter after some Googling :) Everything works like a charm there.

I do quite a lot of C++ programming on both Linux and Windows so this suits me quite well.

I have Ubuntu 20.04 installed on my PC on second hard drive (dual boot) and another Mint running on VirtualBox under Windows10.

Go Mint!
Bring me a shrubbery, Shrubbery of Mint. Ni!
From Finland with love and liquor since 1972.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello xanaki,
Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums, enjoy! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Introduce Yourself”