New to Linux Mint

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CCAIT
Level 1
Level 1

New to Linux Mint

Post by CCAIT »

Hello All,

I'm a Science teacher/Computer problem contact point at our small private school. I've got some chrome boxes that are out of date and working with some high school students to show them how to refurbish old hardware with a bit of time, tech savvy and minor hardware updates. I'm looking forward to becoming more familiar with mint linux. So far it's been great.

Currently working on trying to get a list of software so I can remove unneeded programs to open up some space.

I may turn some of these boxes into smart board boxes if I can get it to load smart board software. If anyone has some direction on this, that would be great.

- LM
Last edited by LockBot on Thu Mar 23, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Re: New to Linux Mint

Post by gittiest personITW »

Welcome to the forum.

How big are the hard drives and what are you going to be doing with the computers once you have an operating system? A smart board shouldn't be too difficult to hook up to as long as they have the right connections/dongles etc.
The early chromebooks had about 16GB up till 2015 (according to wiki) when they were created with 32GB drives.
If they are very early, you might want to look at Puppy Linux, but give Mint Xfce a chance first.

Its a great idea to get kids into hardware. After a few tries they'll see it is a bit like lego or mechano and will get a feel for it quite quickly. I 'turned up' for a few years to a charity doing the same sort of thing but with the idea of selling computers to other charities. The amount of stuff they saved from going into landfill is extraordinary.

Good luck.
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome!

If you have the patience, you could convert those chromebooks to Linux.

If the chromebooks have a micro SD slot or a USB port it's possible to place the / (root) partition on the internal disk of the chromebook and the /home partition on the micro SD or a USB drive.

An external USB hard drive would be best.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

If/when you do try an install of Mint, first thing is to go into Software Manager, click the settings and 'show installed applications', then you can delete what you don't want.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

Hi CCAIT
welcome to our forum
:)

it's always great to see folks that have managed to re-use those older machines,
with our very own LinuxMint System.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

To extend your Linux experience don't forget 2 steps:

#1 Backup your user data, at best daily.

#2 Use Timeshift to save the current state of your system.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello CCAIT,
Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums, enjoy the Journey! :)
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Introduce Yourself”