New MS transplant, trying out Linux

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Guy78
Level 1
Level 1

New MS transplant, trying out Linux

Post by Guy78 »

Hi, Not a lady but I have seen other men post here so here I am. I'm an MS transplant and very new to Linux and am trying out several different flavors to see which I like the best. So far I've tried Zorin, Mint, Peppermint, Kubuntu, and Q4os. So far I'm liking Mint and Kubuntu the best. My problem is finding the disk format utility to format a small external disk (100 gb). So far all of my installations have been on used disks that were formatted by the operating system right before installing the operating system.
Guy78
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: New MS transplant, trying out Linux

Post by AndyMH »

Number of utilities, disks is installed by default, gparted can be installed from software manager (the standard linux partition editor) and if talking about a usb stick there is the usb stick formatter.

If you only want to use the drive for linux, then an ext4 partition is best, if you want to share with win, then ntfs.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
JerryF
Level 16
Level 16

Post by JerryF »

Welcome Guy78!
Guy78
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Guy78 »

Thanks for the information, I'll give that a try.
Guy78
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Guy78 »

Thanks for the info, I tried gparted and it did what I wanted to do. I removed a partition to make the full 100 gb's available as a single unit and formatted it. That old IDE drive is now usable as a single drive. Now all I need is information about where I can learn the syntax of the command line. I started in computers with MS dos and could do things faster with the command line then I could do with Windows (the first early version). Where can I learn to use the command line?

Guy78
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

linux commands are documented by man pages. you can look up commands and syntax for any terminal program using the command man searchtermgoeshere

or on another window/screen/device:

https://linux.die.net/man/

the syntax is not too dissimilar to DOS, so you will adapt fairly quickly
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Guy78
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Guy78 »

Go for it, I'm game for any joke, but be advised, I'm old and it could take a while for it to sink in. :wink: :wink:
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

To extend your Linux experience don't forget 2 steps:

#1 Backup your user data, at best daily.

#2 Use Timeshift to save the current state of your system.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Guy78 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:01 pm Thanks for the info, I tried gparted and it did what I wanted to do.
For future reference, mint will automount partitions on external drives when you plug them in. They mount in /media/you and will show up under devices in your file manager. If you add a label to a partition when you create it (can be done retrospectively), it will use the label, e.g. mounting at /media/you/mylabel, and use the label when displaying in your file manager. Without a label it will mount using the UUID (a long number, not user friendly) and only show in your file manager as xxGB volume.

ext4 partitions created in gparted are owned by root (read-only, easy to fix), you don't have this issue creating ext4 partitions with disks.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forums.
To learn about man run

Code: Select all

man man
in terminal
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Man pages are okay, but tend to be written for 'experts', people who already know what a command does, but have forgotten the syntax or can't remember the options. Not very beginner friendly. For any specific command you are better googling for examples, there are lots, then using the man page for reference.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

Hello Guy78,
Welcome to Linux Mint Forums, enjoy the Journey! :)

You'll find help here in formatting that disc. I usually use gparted it works well.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608

Return to “Introduce Yourself”