Hi! Being new here!

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mhyst
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! Being new here!

Post by mhyst »

Hi everyone!

My name's Julio. I hope this message finds you well. I've been a Linux Mint user for more than ten years, and GNU/Linux user since middle 90's. I'm computer scientist who uses GNU/Linux mainly for freedom. I've become used to Mint and am very comfortable with it. Reason why I've been trusting it and not jumping as quickly to other distros as I usually did when I was younger.

Before saying something else, I have to admit that I have not the best knowledge of every detail of the system, but I've administered GNU/Linux for many years now and more or less I know what I'm doing. I've written software and bash scripts for Linux systems for decades now. I'm telling you this because lately I've become suspicious about the update manager bringing new packages I had not previously installed. Today it asked me to install warpinator. I double checked and I can confirm that I have never used that software before and I hadn't it on my system. I'm not sure if this is because I've been hacked or this is just an official backdoor. I know, this is not perhaps the proper place to say this, but, if I'm allowed, I'd like to see if you have noticed this before on your system.

Thank you for reading. Sorry for the off-topic.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Hi! Being new here!

Post by kc1di »

Hello Julio,
Welcome to the Linux Mint Forum.
Good to have you hear with your experience you will be able to help many. Hope you get an answer to your question about the update manager.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Hi! Being new here!

Post by deepakdeshp »

Welcome to the forum.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Introduce Yourself”