Hello From Nevada

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Simmy

Hello From Nevada

Post by Simmy »

I would just like to introduce myself, and say that i'm very impressed with this Distro (Mint Julia AMD 64)
I would also like to thank whoever(s) hard work contributed to all of this project large and small (even the ubuntu devs i spose who will never read this)
A bit about myself I guess, MY names Sinomi, and I am 24, almost 25, I am a transgendered female, but I'm as every bit as (ab)normal as anyone else here, I love the same things, loud music, good movies, chocolate, etc etc etc..and of course Linux in particular (why I am here obviously)

I formerly used PCLOS, I have nothing bad to say about the distro or its creators, it served me well but I never got used to KDE completely. I later went to Ubuntu, but the direction and forum were a bit hard to swallow for me, confusing and just such a big place, one can get lost among the shuffle..and never find answers. Either way I do not hate these distros, or even Windows 7 which I dual boot currently. So no Windows/M$ slang from me, I find win 7 to be pretty darn good too, though I have space in my heart for Linux as well. I just have been having a bit of a problem with a few windows issues I can't be bothered to fix currently (over tweaked maybe) SO i needed a desktop that worked out of the box..or at least close to it as I could find.

The reasons i tried Mint? well a chance to learn GNOME ( i had used it on mandrake 8.1, but the overall view from others in the forums (back then) was always "use KDE, gnome sucks" even though I happened to LIKE GNOME! So here i am albeit years later, willing to give GNOME a shot again, but wanting also to try out a different approach than Ubuntu, but with the same basic base, so a fair gamble.

So far I LOVE the experience, of course I have had some niggles and quirks, but thats to be expected, but I'm pretty self reliant enough to wanna fix things myself if i can, so i haven't posted in the help sections <yet>

I can say I like the Mint Menu structure, and the software manager, I like synaptic, but I have been installing mostly from the former because its quite user friendly for the most part..as well as the reviews is a nice touch.

But beyond that I am a User, i like to get my computer setup and then be done with it, I don't have the time to spend to experiment, as I am beyond that point, I basically just want to turn it on, and get my work done and thats that. (with a little fun thrown in here and there, apps I do like)

So far I have kept the desktop default as i think the design is clean and I don't need fancy docks cluttering up the simple elegance of GNOME. afaik All i did so far was update and add a prism SSB for paltalk express, which I love, as due to a bug I guess, flash crashes opera/firefox..so any news on that will be nice to me!
I also installed minitube from source because it seemed interesting, and above stated Opera, because I love it. I added Picasa even though I know theres is plenty of programs to choose from natively (though wine can be considered native i guess..even running picasa) I just didnt like f spots organizing, or shotwells memory leak in the particular version.

All in all though, I havent had this much fun since PCLOS first graced my hard drive, beautiful icons, and a nice cohesive package. So I thought I would just ramble a little on my experience, and say thank you for the OS, I expect to give it a nice home on my laptop :)
*sorry for the typos/punctuation etc etc, I'm not such of a writer at all, but i was excited to praise LM!

One thing though I may post soon on..is my wi fi (im tethered to an ethernet connection with a laptop..which is pretty lame admittedly. the wi fi haf card died a few days ago, and I am waiting on Ebay to send me one I bought. The card is an Atheros AR5B95-H AR9285 802.11b/g/n PCIe Half Mini Card.
I believe the wi fi kept cutting out on me frequently (using a Wpa connection) I heard it may be due to that, but If anyone has gotten this card working..or a workaround, lemme know please..as in a few days I'll be putting that card in, and I would HATE to have to stop using (or be leashed) to keep using Mint. I like it that much so far, so I really want it to be able to connect to my network. Another card is NOT an option..as this lappy will only accept this model and type.

Anyways thats about it..sorry for the wall of text, im just giddy and I hope to be around here for time to come, and hopefully meet some nice people as well.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Hello From Nevada

Post by tdockery97 »

Welcome to the Mint forums Simmy. You will find a lot of information and help from some very enthusiastic and knowledgeable Mint users. I'm sure you will also want to visit our Mint Community Website at http://community.linuxmint.com/. You will find real-time help in our IRC channels. Just go to Menu>Internet>XChat IRC and when you open it you will automatically be taken to our #linuxmint-chat and #linuxmint-help channels. Have fun with Mint.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos »

Welcome to the forum!
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3
Simmy

Post by Simmy »

Oh thank you :)

I have joined the community page as well, though it is a bit confusing for me, ill figure it out though..I been mostly reading as many posts here as I can in the meantime, just to familiarize myself with the posters, and possible issues i may or may not have in the future, or just ideas. I have used the same username there as well, but i cant seem to post a profile pic..oh well. It seems pretty well organized though, and im sure i will find it handy as ive already bookmarked it, and read a lil here n there. I admit though I just want to USE my computer, rather than tweak with it like some (just generalizing) linux users ive met, who spend all day adjusting this or that, or doing new things with their computers, but not working with them lol. I dont wanna get stuck back in that rut, as i have done my fair share of having all sorta docks and bars, weather applets, moon phases, and about 4 different info apps just to see my kernel version and file trees. So im trying my best now to keep the desktop minimal, and as stock looking as possible, with the bare essentials i truly need. (i plan on light websurfing, im. multimedia and a few typical needs like email from thunderbird, video editing and office tasks. IM very THRILLED most of these functions are already included and setup on the base install (like flash/codecs, office suite via OoO etc) so ill simply add what i need as I go along, though i setup a similar "testing" laptop for software on an old toshiba lappy in case it doesnt suit me, i wont install on my main, and clutter up with unclean installs possibly. I am not confident enough to use any cleaning type programs such as bleachbit, as my understanding isnt enough to automate any file deleting when i dont know what a file truly is. I rely on just synaptic removals, and "hopefully" a well detailed read me when i have to install by source if i need to remove it some day.

So far Im trying to get my webcam working correctly, it works in Paltalk express, and cheese..but i have yet to try skype.
I am a bit rusty on if any other native linux (preferably gnome apps) that have messengers with webcam capabilities, as I have some friends and family I do wish to keep in touch with (some guy friends I know from MMORPGS and online, and my family members of course, as I am going to school, and I sadly dont get to see them much 'cept for holidays.

another big concern (well sorta) is I would like to backup my system as a snapshot or clone, to reinstall if need be, without going thru the whole hassle of updates and configurations if i should bork something, which is pretty common with me some days :)
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

Hello Simmy,
Welcome to Mint Forum :P
There is a lot of useful information for new and not-so-new users here -> http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p302358
For full system backups you may want to explore http://clonezilla.org/
jesica

Post by jesica »

Hallo and welcome to the forum

Return to “Introduce Yourself”