A grateful hello from ADoS

Welcome to newcomers! Don't hesitate to introduce yourself.
Please don't post tech support questions here
AlmightyDoerOfStuff
Level 2
Level 2

A grateful hello from ADoS

Post by AlmightyDoerOfStuff » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:27 am

Hello, all!

My name is Vincent, although most of my Internet associates call me The Almighty Doer of Stuff, or ADoS. It's a nickname I chose in late 2001, when I was 13, and sometimes I regret it. Other times I like it. It depends on my mood.

I hate MacOS. I've always been a Windows person, and I'm dual-booting Linux Mint with Windows XP on both my desktop computer and my laptop computer. I strongly prefer Linux Mint, but sometimes I need WIndows to run programs and websites that won't run on Linux or under Wine. I also have a Windows ME computer that isn't connected to the Internet. I use it to play old games that won't run either on Linux or Windows XP, and to access floppy disks.

My interests and occupation are listed in my profile, but I should elaborate on my occupation, I suppose. Unfortunately, this seems to be the theme song of my life at the moment. I used to have a job as a college student, but my mental health deteriorated dramatically over the past few years, and it got so bad, I quit my job, and I got a new job climbing the walls. :| I'm currently trying to make myself mentally stable again, and it's an uphill battle. It's a full time job being severely mentally ill and trying to get better, and I wouldn't wish it upon anybody, except maybe the severely schizophrenic, to whom my condition would be an improvement. I have bipolar disorder among other things, and I'm not shy about talking about it, in an attempt to destigmatize mental illness. I do know I'm very intelligent, though, and I can probably work my way back up to some sense of normalcy again, even if it means just flipping burgers to help pay the rent. Luckily I have the support of my large family, my friends in The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster forums, and of course, my wonderful fiancée, Ashley. <3 She loves me in spite of my shortcomings, because she sees me for what I have mentally and emotionally, and not what I don't have. I'm never letting her go.

As far as potential future jobs (after I've successfully climbed the walls at least to a decent extent), flipping burgers is an option, but right now I'm hoping to make a career writing children's stories. It might be difficult, seeing as I don't like being around kids, but I think it's one of the only things I have the talent to do. I was a Computer Networking major at my community college, but nothing I was being taught was sticking and I wasn't learning anything. It wasn't the professors' faults, mind you, but it just wasn't working out. Writing is something I've been practicing since I was 13, and I'm continually getting better and looking for new perspectives and advice.

As for Linux, I was previously using Ubuntu, first Meerkat and then Narwhal, as I've described elsewhere, but the changes were annoying me, so I switched to Mint, and I love it. I'm concerned about the changes to GNOME 3 in the next edition though. I like my nice, simple, customizable interface. That's actually why I switched from Ubuntu in the first place. I didn't want to upgrade to Ocelot and have to use Unity and GNOME 3, but hopefully GNOME 3 will be easier to fix than I thought, and hopefully Linux Mint in particular will have some good modifications built-in or easily-accessed.

I've already used the IRC chatroom to ask for help. A person called rumpel helped me fix a crash that turned out to be caused by the literally, physically broken Microsoft wireless NIC that I had been too lazy to take out. :P (It's been removed and thrown away now, but only after it started crashing Windows too. :P )

Here's my current desktop computer's desktop screenie. Note the giant top panel on the small screen. I put it there just so I could enjoy the nice, gorgeous Mint X icons, which I love. The white line across the tree on the left is actually a gibberish launcher with a custom invisible icon. I put it there so I could see where the right screen's top edge is. In fact it's a 1280X1024 monitor but I can't set it higher than 1024x768 on Ubuntu or Mint, so the top of the small screen is actually about two inches above that white line. I've searched for answers on how to fix this but the consensus seems to be "I don't know, sorry" according to my searches. I don't have an xorg.conf file in my /etc/x11/ folder so I don't know what to do about it. If someone thinks they have an answer I'll start a new thread for the sake of other people with the same problem, but I'm not too concerned about it.

The Windows icons on the left side of my small screen are shared between Windows XP and Linux Mint, containing my audio files, my documents, my interface modification files (icons, wallpaper, Windows color schemes, and also stuff like avatars and buddy icons), my "Random Stuff" (I put that icon together myself, from a bunch of Windows icons), and my Briefcase, which despite having the Windows briefcase icon, is actually just a regular folder with a couple Unison scripts in it, to take my documents back and forth between my desktop and my laptop, via Flarngzhtron-8700WP, my little robot 8GB flash drive.

I also want to say that I love mint-fortunes. :D I saw a fancy ASCII dragon on the Internet somewhere (I love dragons, especially the fancy varieties, like my cuddly plush dragons, Waldorf and Adalbald), and I want to add that to my mint-fortunes, but I'm not going to ask about that as I'm sure there's a tutorial somewhere that I just don't have time to look for at the moment.

I'm not sure how much I'll be hanging around here anyway except to ask questions, but who knows?

Thanks for having me, and thanks for the wonderful OS!
-ADoS
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!

The Almighty Website of Stuff

The-Wizard
Level 12
Level 12

Re: A grateful hello from ADoS

Post by The-Wizard » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:34 am

Welcome to the Mint family forums

wizard
The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place.

proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Post by proxima_centauri » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:41 am

Welcome to the Linux Mint community AlmightyDoerOfStuff.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:25 pm

Welcome to the Forums, AlmightyDoerOfStuff.
Peppermint OS 10

rivenathos
Level 6
Level 6

Post by rivenathos » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Welcome to the forum and Linux Mint!
Current hardware: a Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop, a Dell Inspiron 531 desktop, and a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop.
Current OS: LMDE 3

nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Post by nunol » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:13 pm

Welcome to the Linux Mint Forums Vincent!

Cheers.

karliet
Level 3
Level 3

Post by karliet » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:37 pm

Hey ADoS
Welcome to the LM forums, I hope you enjoy the community
"If to live, we have to be numb, I'd rather know the pain"

sagirfahmid3
Level 6
Level 6

Post by sagirfahmid3 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:37 pm

Wow lol, there's 2 googley eyes in your taskbar...they look funny, especially the bloodshot eyes :D I have only 1 googley eye on my taskbar, but only the bloodshot ones heehee!

Welcome to Linux Mint, hope you like the OS, and hope you like the community and forums.

AlmightyDoerOfStuff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by AlmightyDoerOfStuff » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:49 am

Thanks, everyone!

I ostensibly put the googly eyes there to help me locate my cursor when it moves into that space above the small monitor and to the right of the big monitor, where I can't see it. Mostly I just find them amusing though. In fact I have two sets of (smaller) googly eyes on my one-screen laptop too. :D

Actually I'm not sure I've ever used those eyes to locate the cursor, despite my original intentions. :roll:
!!!@#@#@#@#@!!! CAUTION: THIS PERSON DOES NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS TALKING ABOUT. DISREGARD ANY APPEALS TO AUTHORITY, EXPERIENCE, OR ROMANTIC PROWESS. ANY CORRECT INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE FROM THIS MAN IS PURELY COINCIDENTAL. !!!@#@#@#@#@!!!

The Almighty Website of Stuff

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Habitual » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:30 pm

AlmightyDoerOfStuff - most colorful nick I've seen in years to be sure.

May the Schwartz be with you, and Welcome!

Return to “Introduce yourself”