UPDATE PACK 8 FEEDBACK THREAD

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Re: UPDATE PACK 8 FEEDBACK THREAD

Post by killer de bug »

Monsta wrote:Ah, so mint-mirrors is needed after all... alright, but do we need mintupdate (from the Main Edition) in the repos? It doesn't make sense to keep it, we have mintupdate-debian that does all the work.
Clem said to me on IRC that this new version solve the bug you mentioned.
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Yes, the conflict is solved, and I've received a notification from Launchpad :)
I just wanted a clarification about the presence of mintupdate from the Main Edition in LMDE repos. Not mintupdate-debian, but the package called simply "mintupdate".
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

I think it's safe to remove mintupdate yes, I'll check before doing so, but we do indeed use mintupdate-debian instead.

Regarding how automated this will be... well, the upgrade will work out of the box, the only steps required for latest users will be:

- To remove duplicates in /etc/apt/sources.list
- To remove mint-debian-mirrors and software-properties-gtk

Note that if they don't remove these they'll just see warning messages when using APT.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Minor issue - mintSources puts two slashes after "latest":

Code: Select all

deb http://mirrors.ircam.fr/pub/linuxmint-debian/latest// testing main contrib non-free
deb http://mirrors.ircam.fr/pub/linuxmint-debian/latest//security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://mirrors.ircam.fr/pub/linuxmint-debian/latest//multimedia testing main non-free
APT tools will handle this normally, so it's only a cosmetic issue :)

Not so minor issue:
  1. Add "incoming" to the line with "packages.linuxmint.com" in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list
  2. Run mintSources.
  3. Push the button next to "Main (debian)".
  4. Press Cancel in the mirror selection window.
  5. Oops, "incoming" disappears from the line you've added it to.
mintSources shouldn't have modified the sources list when I told it just to cancel testing mirror speeds :)

Hmm, just found out that at the same moment (pressing Cancel) mintSources puts one more slash after "latest" or "incoming". Now I have four:

deb http://mirrors.ircam.fr/pub/linuxmint-debian/incoming//// testing main contrib non-free
deb http://mirrors.ircam.fr/pub/linuxmint-debian/incoming////security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://mirrors.ircam.fr/pub/linuxmint-debian/incoming////multimedia testing main non-free
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

After I've cleared /etc/apt/sources.list, it turned out that mint-choose-debian-mirror doesn't see anything in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ directory and exits immediately. Yes, I understand that this tool is deprecated now, just wanted to test it under the new conditions. :)

Maybe it's better to make mintsources conflict with mint-debian-mirrors so the latter would be removed automatically?

Also the creation of /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-packages-repositories.list and the removal of LMDE repos from /etc/apt/sources.list could be done in mintsources' postinst script, thus removing the need for any manual work.
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

I'm tracking testing repositories so not a real test of UP8. Just thought I'd mention the following:

Creating and then filling /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-packages-repositories.list can can/will cause problems for anyone tracking testing by adding extra repositories that are unnecessary for us. Fortunately this is easily fixed.

I don't know how many of us are tracking testing. For what it's worth. :wink:
The_Raven
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The_Raven »

Firefox-Crash-Problem:
Very strange, if i start firefox from the command-line all is ok! :shock:

Printer-Tray-Icon:
The icon from the printer remains in the tray (mate). Can someone confirm this?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

The_Raven wrote:Firefox-Crash-Problem:
Very strange, if i start firefox from the command-line all is ok! :shock:
I think I've already answered that...
The_Raven wrote:Printer-Tray-Icon:
The icon from the printer remains in the tray (mate). Can someone confirm this?
Do you mean it doesn't disappear after the print job is done?
The_Raven
Level 1
Level 1

Post by The_Raven »

Yes you answered that, but i found out that it only happen if i start firefox with the try icon, if i start it from command-line it works. Maybe this is important?

And yes it doesn't disappear after the print job is done and you can not "click" it away.
kurotsugi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by kurotsugi »

I don't know how many of us are tracking testing. For what it's worth.
I'm following testing but I have stripped most of mint stuffs from my system. I found it more stable without them.
VMANTER
Level 1
Level 1

Post by VMANTER »

LMDE is perfect distro. I like him.
But I am tryed change repository onto Incoming. Result cinnamon was removed after update and not reinstalled. Errors into dependencies.
When login after reboot, I see black task panel in bottom area. Not menu and others functions is disabled. Clicked on folder onto desktop I called Nemo. I call terminal from him.
Now I am install Debian Testing with GNOME3 (crazy). Update kernel to ver 3.12. GNOME 3.8

LMDE Update pack 7.
Kernel 3.10 and last nvidia driver (sgfxi script) - black screen and crash. Error: Unable define/detect monitor. Not working keyboard backlight.
Kernel 3.2. All work ok. Tablet WACOM not work from box. Only Manually install. Canon 30D not mounted when connected, error mounting usb device. I try connect to Linux Mint Petra, mounted ok, all photos is availible.

Sorry for my english
GeneBenson
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GeneBenson »

Just an FYI.

The latest version of Mintupdate is actually checking if updates are available each time you boot. If updates are available it now shows the appropriate icon instead of telling you "Your system is up to date" when it isn't. No extra work on my part. It's doing it out of the box.

Nice work Clem!! :D
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

From my understanding, Mintupdate is now launched as root.
I may be wrong, but it's what I understood from github... :)
Last edited by killer de bug on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Here's the magic :)

monsta@asylum ~ $ sudo cat /etc/sudoers.d/mintupdate 
# Allow any user to check for new system updates without
# requiring user authentication.

Cmnd_Alias UPDATE = /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/checkAPT.py

ALL ALL = NOPASSWD:UPDATE
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

Always run with root permissions when updating the APT cache

if app_hidden:
-    updates = commands.getoutput("/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/checkAPT.py | grep \"###\"")
+    updates = commands.getoutput("sudo /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/checkAPT.py | grep \"###\"")
         else:
-     updates = commands.getoutput("/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/checkAPT.py --use-synaptic %s [...])
+     updates = commands.getoutput("sudo /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintUpdate/checkAPT.py --use-synaptic %s [...])

(I removed some part of the command. The most important word is sudo...)
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Well yes, LMDE is catching up with Mint here, so it's getting a lot of improvements in many of the tools.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Clem,

Did you read our feedback on mintSources (mine & GeneBenson's)? What do you think?
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Yes.

I'll fix the / issue. Regarding automating the removal/generation of sources, I'd rather annoy everybody with a few duplicates than take a risk with that. Modifying APT sources from a postinst seems like a catastrophe waiting to happen.

I'm adding cinnamon-bluetooth, mdm and the remaining mint tools today.
killer de bug
Level 14
Level 14

Post by killer de bug »

clem wrote:I'm adding cinnamon-bluetooth, mdm and the remaining mint tools today.
Anxious to test this!
10 days before my PhD defense, I could help me to use Libreoffice remote control with my android phone :lol:
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Speaking of the package updates, is anything planned to be done with DDM?
I've already filed a bug report describing why something must be done, and here's another user reporting that DDM broke things:
First I tried to install NVIDIA driver for GeForce GT 630M using Device Driver Manager (which lead to crushed X which I recovered by moving xorg.conf).

Return to “LMDE Archive”