Forum rules
isix
Level 1
Level 1

xserver does not start on LMDE 15 MATE with Radeon HD 7850

Postby isix » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:59 am

Basically I get the exact same problem as this person :

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=103142

But this was a while ago around version 13. I've done the nomodeset xforcevesa thing. No dice. What is really strange is that I already have regular Linux Mint 15 installed which works perfectly. What amuses me even more is that I had the same setup with an old geforce gt 220 and everything worked fine with quadruple boot grub (like I always do, it might have become a three boot machine as I am now experienced enough with Debian to just use LMDE). I can give my whole specs if that mean anything.

AMD Athlon II X4 645
Corsair Vengeance 8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz
ASUSTeK Computer INC. M4A78LT-M-LE (AM3)
2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series (Sapphire/PCPartner) (7850)

It also has an onboard video card but all operating systems do not even see it when I have my 7850 connected to a monitor. I don't know if I can disable it in the BIOS, but considering everything works fine in regular Linux Mint...I'm perplexed as to what is wrong here.

TIA.

isix
Level 1
Level 1

Re: xserver does not start on LMDE 15 MATE with Radeon HD 78

Postby isix » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:11 am

catweazel wrote:Experience has taught me that the xorg and proprietary drivers from AMD do not play nice together. I always end up with two panels, then three after a reboot, then four...

After much head-banging into the brick wall of my windowless cell in the asylum, I always purge the xorg drivers first:

Code: Select all

$ sudo apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon
$ sudo reboot
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install fglrx-amdcccle-updates
$ sudo aticonfig --initial
$ sudo reboot

Problem solved. I've never had any trouble after installing the AMD proprietary drivers using that method.

^^slight variation to this worked (just used fglrx-driver instead...no such thing as amdcccle-updates apparently)

But there is a major confused moment going on here. When I installed LMDE 15, I installed it over a previous Debian 7 x64 partition, telling to format over it obviously. The problem was for a seemingly non-obvious but obvious reasons. My old video card driver was there (nvidia) and not only that, ALL software installed on that partition remained and was brought with LMDE 15.... :?: :?: :?: :?: Wat

99% of the applications work too. Now I'm only concerned by a little thing, the list of updates update manager reports is huge, should I review each of them to see if it is wise to do so ? I removed some x drivers that I do not have from the update list but that is it. I can't believe the nvidia cleanup program was actually needed...along with all this stuff remaining...I'm sure that wasn't an option during installation ( I installed it a while ago and when I saw it failing I didn't touch it for a month or so). Bizarre!

Return to “Archive”