Archived topics about LMDE 1
Forum rules
thelma
Level 1
Level 1

how to install LMDebian over LinuxMint 13 Mate

Postby thelma » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:23 pm

Hi,
I have 3 partitions: root, swap and home. I would like to install LinuxDebian to replace LinuxMint 13 Mate, but keeping /home intact.
Is this possible? I had selected sda1 (where 13 Mate is) but I got root partition is needed...
Should I clear swap and / and then use this space to install LMDebian?
Would this procedure keep /home as it is now?
Thank you.
Thelma

daveinuk
Level 6
Level 6

Re: how to install LMDebian over LinuxMint 13 Mate

Postby daveinuk » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:05 pm

When in the live session you should be able to just choose 'something else' from the installer options, choose to install the OS itself to 'root' or / (put a check in the box to format it ) and leave swap alone as that won't need formating, leave your home partition alone too/ ensure you DO NOT put a tick in the box . . . . . . This is the method I use all the time to upgrade, all your home files are safe and you're re-installed in no time.

HTH

Edit: having not used a debian DE for some time I'm not sure if any desktop tweaks will still be good as you're moving from a Deb edition to an Ubuntu based one, hopefully someone else may chip in and clarify.

thelma
Level 1
Level 1

Re: how to install LMDebian over LinuxMint 13 Mate

Postby thelma » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi,
Thank you for the answer. I tried to install LMDE in /root but somehow I missed the box to select or unselect the partitions. Since this was my first shot, I ended up with Gparted not accepting my /home mounted. So, I went through the long way of backing up /home and did a fresh installation.
When I have more time I will try again with an old HD where I have Linux Mint 11 and no critical data to damage.
Thank you again.
Cheers,
Thelma

Return to “Archive”