MDM HTML5 Themes

Submit your artwork to make Linux Mint look better
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
syserr

Default MDM theme - CPU usage

Post by syserr »

Upgraded to 17 from Mint 14, the new default MDM theme is very nice -- I like it a lot.

My (family) machine is in a multiseat configuration, and using MATE's "System Monitor" I noticed A LOT of CPU usage by the other seats when no one was logged in. Looking at the MDM display, I suspected it might be the sliding background animation. After a bit of poking around I found if I simply comment out the play() method in /usr/share/mdm/html-themes/Mint-X/index.html my cores stop dancing.

The animation is attractive, but not worth it to me. I thought I'd share how to disable it. (good for laptops too?)

Animation (at it's current cpu load) might be a bad default.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: MDM HTML5 Themes

Post by Monsta »

That's a known issue.
I always switch to "GTK" theme in mdmsetup - it's faster and doesn't eat CPU.
chmeleon

Post by chmeleon »

I finished my first login theme today. Please tell me what you think :)

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 181431&e=0
inersha

Post by inersha »

Is there a basic HTML5 login window theme available for Linux Mint?

I'm looking for something very basic with only the essential HTML+JS needed for a working login screen. I've looked at the files for Mint-X and Clouds, but I was hoping that there might be something much simpler to help get me started making my own theme.

Does anyone know of any basic themes that would be good for beginners? I've got experience with HTML+CSS, but it's the logic of the javascript that I'd like to get a better understanding of.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Maybe this simple theme is a good start for you: http://linuxmint-art.org/content/show.p ... ent=159006
philer

Post by philer »

@inersha I made a theme that is supposed to serve as a base for easy modification/development. It's mostly targeted at web developers with a little experience though. You'll need to know a little bit about events in JavaScript.
If you think it's worth a look, here's the thread: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=175223
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

This is the only MDM theme in Mint that I like! Very professional looking and no pictures that make the transition to the desktop look bad. Thank you for creating this! :D
philer

Post by philer »

Thank you and you're very welcome :D
unkilbeeg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by unkilbeeg »

I'm installing 17.1 Rebecca at work and I really like the overall look of the Mint-X theme. I'm not particularly good at javascript, but I've managed to get rid of the userlist. That's half the battle, but I have been completely unable to figure out how to get the welcome_message to display. I'd really like each machine to include the name of the machine on the login page, and I've set the welcome message to do that.

Unfortunately, this theme doesn't seem to support that message. Some of the other HTML themes do, but the ones that do are a bit too decorative for my tastes. I've tried grabbing some of the code from those themes to insert into Mint-X, but so far no luck. Did I mention that I'm not very good at javascript? :)

So for the moment I think I'm going to have to go back to a GDM theme.
marioluigi123

Post by marioluigi123 »

Hello all, my theme idea was to integrate the HTML5 Super Mario remake (https://github.com/FullScreenShenanigan ... o/releases) into a playable login screen. Nothing fancy yet, just trying to get the game on the login window in playable form.

Everything works OK in the theme emulator (but you probably figured that), but I get a blank space where the game should be on the actual login screen. The Mario game's JS writes to an HTML section (id=game) so that's what my index.html contains besides the includes for JS and CSS.

Code: Select all

<section id="game"></section> <!-- FSM.UserWrapper will fill out these sections... -->
	<section id="controls"></section>
Can someone with more Web Dev experience take a look? I don't mind collaborating on the code.

I'm more a sysadmin than a dev so I've mostly been cutting code out. I removed some of the window decoration and lots of the unused functionality (level editor, mods, etc) from the Mario JS file.

EDIT: Code was too big to attach (100kb limit, really), so check it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3w6imt4wurva6 ... ar.gz?dl=0
LinkTree

Post by LinkTree »

Hi, I haven't found any discussion about this issue anywhere on the internet. Why is every HTML5 theme not removing the caps lock warning sign when caps lock is off? You have to manually click outside of the input box for it to realize caps lock is off and update the display... This is very confusing for new users. I assume that's some internal functionality and it's not yet exposed to the HTML+JS API and that's why all these HTML5 themes have the same issue.
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

I'm back finally
Long time no see, been busy but seen tablet support again so I'm back home again. I'm working on a new one , just simple burning linux logo with the word linux burning also with some sparks floating around the screen, thought I'd start simple to get back into it again, I'll check on that caps lock to see if there is something in js to detect it and switch it off once it's off to see if it's possible through that avenue or if it has been taken care of already when I was gone away.
Got another jungle idea for a mint logo or work (lots of detail and clean at the same time so that one will take a bit) strictly for mint though but I'll add a way out for other distro's to add there's in also by replacing the main one.
Just wondering two things.
1: is canvas working any better now then it was when I was first making these?
I avoided using canvas because of this issue, I think I only use it on one that really worked good.
Reason I ask I wouldn't mind using phaser/laser framework to make some cool looking ones but it uses canvas.
2: Is the HTML5 wallpapers still in the works? I can tone it down and keep it the same all the way through so it's not such a resource hog on the html5 wallpaper side of things.
I'm working on other things at the same time but will make time to make more (a fun escape from the other stuff for me), plus I'm getting into html5 gaming now so I can play around with some experiments this way also for my own stuff and add them in.
Sam
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Just a note I noticed in the mdm themes you have synergy as one of mine, it's not actually mine :oops:
I guess he used my theme as a template and forgot to switch the name over to his.
Don't want to take credit for something I didn't make, have to give credit where it's due ;)
just in case anyone thought it was mine it be not mine.

More mdm themes coming soon, as soon as I find time.

Sam
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Just to keep this rolling, I am about halfway through another one, I'll post it once done.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Cool. I'm anxious to see your new creation :wink:
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Here the first one I'm working on.
Sort of a simple burning tux to get me back into the game again, it'll have floating sparks maybe some smokey clouds or something, still thinking of what to add to it, but it's a simple one to get me going again.
If it turns out alright and enough demand I'll do a LM logo one instead of a tux also for mint users, just thought a tux would fit any distro using mdm

future ideas is a viking or some kind of tux lightning clouds etc
a jungle (bugs flying birds flying maybe some critters ) strictly for mint because of all the greenery that will be in it
maybe a moving background one and another that pans.
Hopefully I can come up with around 10 more altogether in between my other stuff.
Plus it's fun
I want to experiment with my gaming framework I use for html5 (phaser soon to be laser) but I'll have to see if canvas will work properly on it it had issues before which is why I dropped it especially with lmde (if it don't wok in lmde it probably won't work in any other distro that don't use ubuntu base or mint main so hopefully I can get someone to test a canvas one for me in lmde.
Sam
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Alrighty all got some exciting news for all you mdm themers.
I been busy lately with my html5 game but decided to try something entirely different as I mentioned before I was going to try and use phaser's framework (for making html5 games) and put it in the mdm and see if the canvas would work this way.
Why you may ask would you try and use a gaming framework inside a mdm theme?
Well because it means you can pretty much do anything you want including all the beloved particle effects you can muster, all the animations you can muster, or anything your mind can muster.
The point being it enlarges the scope of creation to a whole new level.
Well I tested it in a quick, throw it together in 5 minutes example, to test it out and viola it worked :D

Soon as I get some time I will come up with a tutorial how to use it inside mdm with a base mdm to work from then create the canvas creation and how to add it to the mdm.

For those who do not want to wait or try it out themselves I am using the phaser editor (linux friendly version)
It comes with everything already added including the phaser framework (great little editor that uses eclipse as a base standalone version) just drop it in your home folder and start coding.

Soooo for those that can't wait for the tutorial just create your animation in the editor once done grab all the contents in the WebContent folder except the index html file paste it into your mdm theme folder your creating and just add the javascript links in the index html that is in the webContent file and paste those into your index html file in the mdm folder between the head tags and your done.

I'll do a screenshot tutorial when I get time and post it on my blog. (I'll add the link once I get it done)

So here is where you can get the editor http://phasereditor.boniatillo.com/blog/
There are plenty of tutorials on the site including texture packer and asset loaders etc so you can load the images or spritesheets with json files

Tons of tutorial at the phaser site for you to learn how to make stuff here http://phaser.io/

When I get time I'll check out screensavers with html5 also

Sam
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Alright I made quick tutorial on how to make an html5 creation in phaser using the phaser editor and how to bring it into your mdm along with the sample files to download, the tutorial has a lot of screen shots in it and a short video showing the final creation.

The sample file mdm has a base mdm to start you off all you have to do is drop your phaser creation in it and add the javascript links.
The tutorial I made walks you throgh it all.

You can read the tutorial here: http://samsstuffsoftware.blogspot.ca/20 ... ework.html

It has a link to the downloaded sample I made that also holds the base mdm theme.

Enjoy!

I'll be using this method for all future mdm themes.

Sam
samriggs

Post by samriggs »

Here is the next one I am almost finished
I put the above one on hold for the time being as I ran out of ideas to add for it and I wasn't liking it so far, so it's on a backburner until I make it better.
In the mean time I decided to try the one I wanted for myself and plus it gives me the opportunity to use phaser and it's editor for the whole thing.
My new toy :D
This is the main background so far, I have to add tubes with aliens or something in them floating around, some alien drones with flashing lights flying around and maybe an alien walking though or something else, I just keep adding to it as I go along, the login will be near the bottom of the metal middle door, it's the theme I wanted to make all the way through including icons, theme etc.. which will come later once I get time to make it.

Here it is so far about 3/4 done.

Hopefully I'll have this one finished soon to put up complete.
Sam
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

I'm dreaming of playing Mario Bross or Tetrix or... before entering my password. This would be so cool :mrgreen:

Return to “Your Artwork”