Michael
Check out my other wallpapers Deviantart
Follow me at identica or that other one

sputty01
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Proposals for Mint 6

Post by sputty01 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:09 am

I like it akaNed :) not sure we need reminding were using mint quite THAT much though :P the second one is nice and sleek though!

Anyways thanks for the support guys, i'm just trying to upload the psd's and final full res versions of the wallpapers, my host seems to have suddenly switched to old Pentium II's on dial up or something though :roll: seriously take a look.. guess thats what i get for being a cheap skate and switching my VPS for some crummy £12 a year hosting haha. If anyone knows a free host that wouldn't mind me hosting 150Mb + of images and zips for a lil while then shoot me a pm or something please!

As you can see from that screenshot i'm also working on a metacity theme to match the wallpaper and a login screen as well.. they should both be done by sunday night. I agree with xnostradamusx about the sound effects, something like Borealis is imo far better than the current sound theme, but i guess its down to taste.

McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by McLovin » Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:54 am

Ok, I got some time and was functional enough do a little something, this is just a first rough draft, and it is only in 1600x1200, a wide screen will follow, and any mods i make to this will be reflected in it, just want to get some input.
click for full size

akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed » Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:35 am

sputty01 wrote:I like it akaNed :) not sure we need reminding were using mint quite THAT much though :P the second one is nice and sleek though!
If I could just figure out how to make it flash on and off...hmmmm
Hey sputty, are you running photoshop in wine, and if so what version?
I like the versions of your wallpaper without the big bright flare in the middle, or at least tone it down.
McLovin wrote:Ok, I got some time and was functional enough do a little something, this is just a first rough draft, and it is only in 1600x1200, a wide screen will follow, and any mods i make to this will be reflected in it, just want to get some input.
click for full size
Great to have you back, McLovin :D Hope all is better. Now for some harsh criticism :lol: :lol: (just kidding)
Here are my thoughts for what they are worth. I'm not sure about the reflection of the logo. If you keep it, you might want to lower the transparency a bit. Also the left side has the green stripe running through it, which I'm not sure looks right. Perhaps you could downsize the logo just a wee smidge (maybe 85% of what it is) If you eliminate the reflection, you might want to add some drop shadow behind the logo. Otherwise I like it. And this may be me, but the green swirl/lines look like an ibex to me :? Maybe I need more coffee :roll:

Michael

McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by McLovin » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:49 am

yeah, the logo is a little too big, and one of the swirls didn't come out quite right, I'm gonna redo it today, or tomorrow, we'll see how I feel.
as for the green line running through the logo, that's because of the way things are set, I use alot of overlays, so they tend to "bleed" with each other.

Katzedecimal
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Katzedecimal » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:55 am

@Sputty01:

Swap the font sizes on "Mint 6" and "Felicia", make "Mint 6" slightly larger and "Felicia" slightly smaller. It will look more balanced, I think. Otherwise it is very very nice (although I must agree about the Coke swash, I don't think that's tooooo much of a problem :lol: )

@McLovin:

Either reflection or stripes, I think. I feel both makes it look too busy, but either/or will look very nice.

One of the things that captured me (and many people I've introduced Mint to) has been the stark simplicity of the Mint 5 default theme. It's eye-catching and polished but very clean, strongly communicates "elegance." I felt it communicated the Mint 5 experience very well.

@Zwopper:

I tried adding a few drops of mint extract to my Coca Cola. It does taste rather nice :mrgreen:
"Dance without sleeping, I'll dance without fear
Dance without senses, no message I hear
Dance without feeling, I'll dance 'til I'm numb
Dance 'til I think I can overcome" -- Melissa Etheridge

sputty01
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sputty01 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:59 am

Ok here's what ive got so far, feel free to use them totally as you wish, commercial or otherwise no credit is needed. (but it is nice :wink:) The source is with them so if you want to swap bits around then feel free (yeah im lazy :P).

^ 2560x1600 1600x1200 & Source PSD (40.8mb)

^ 2560x1600 1600x1200 & Source PSD (28.2mb)

^ 2560x1600 1600x1200 & Source PSD (14.6mb)

I'm thinking the first one would make for a nice login screen background if i can get around to it, but atm i'm concentrating more on a metacity theme to match in with them.
akaNed wrote: Hey sputty, are you running photoshop in wine, and if so what version?
I like the versions of your wallpaper without the big bright flare in the middle, or at least tone it down.
Yup i run CS2 in wine... tbh the differences between cs2 and 3 are so subtle you cant even tell which version your in unless you REALLY look hard at the hidden away menu options. Sorry if its a bit too intense lol, my desktop monitor has died so im stuck using my crummy dull laptop monitor, so i may have over done it with the flare :P
Last edited by sputty01 on Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:17 pm

Very nice work! I like the first and second ones the best, nice colors and style.

McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by McLovin » Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:38 pm

ok, I have updated my first proposal, (still need to make a widescreen, this is the rough draft stage) i made the logo smaller, the reflection lighter, and changed a swirl a little.
click for full size.

Let me know what you think.

msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Post by msuggs » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:57 am

Hey McLovin, great to you see up and about :) Let me know when you're ready to resume the reigns of WOTM.

I was playing around with GIMP today and this popped out. Feedback welcome :)

Mint Swirl
Widescreen

Fullscreen

eeezzzeee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eeezzzeee » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:59 am

Omns, I dig it.
All of you guys who make artwork for mint do a great job, keep up the good work.
"If it's stupid and it works.... it's not stupid"

akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:00 pm

McLovin wrote: Let me know what you think.
I like it. I'm still on a fence about the reflection. I really like the '6' in the background. :D

@Sputty01:
I like 2 & 3 :D

@omns:
Nice. :D

Michael

sputty01
Level 2
Level 2

Post by sputty01 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:06 pm

I did a little more work on mine and put together a little GDM and themed the gnome panel :D

@Mclovin
I'm liking that second revision much better, i didn't even notice the 6 in the background until i concentrated :), good to have you back!

McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by McLovin » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:53 pm

Thanx, the "6" is supposed to be subtle, just a "ghost" in the image. As for the reflection, the mint logo and tagline have always had a reflection as a part of the mint design, so I thought following tradition seemed good, I can turn it down a little so it's a little less striking.

kayakaholic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kayakaholic » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:16 am

Sputty! Im in love with it! If clem would go with that we would most surely have the sexiest linux distro in existence! Imagine the reviews!

Death Dream
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Death Dream » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:09 am

Kickass stuff there Sputty! They are all great, and yes, I think it has to much flair on the new blue on because of your monitor thing. Just tone it down a tad.

~Death Dream~

twin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by twin » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:16 pm

Please keep up the good work there Sputty!

tawan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by tawan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:55 am

sputty01 wrote:Image

Slight alteration on those above, i'm not sure if i prefer the first one with less lighting effects though. :?
Yeah Sputty whoever you are, not seen you around before, then BAM nice desktop!! And i see you have moved on to developing the splash too. Cooool, nice stuff :D

Tithis
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Tithis » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:45 am

clem wrote:Hi everyone,

I don't want to disappoint or discourage anyone. Remember this is highly subjective and even when your work doesn't get selected as the default artwork or even within the selection of alternative backgrounds it's still appreciated by the community and an asset to users.

I haven't seen anything so far that I liked more than what we had for Mint 5. I'm still thinking on keeping the same artwork or changing to "Circle" (which was an alternative in Mint 5).

Clem.
As flattering as the idea of my wallpaper being the default is I don't think its a good idea. The main reason is a flaw I found after making the wallpaper and using it. The color for icon text is white and white text on white/gray background is really hard to read sometimes, not very good for a default. If gnome was like windows and switched the text color based on the background I might be singing a different tune, but as it is keeping a dark background would be best from a usability standpoint.

That being said I really like the work Sputty has been showing. I'm not sure if it should the default but it should be an alternative at least.

edit: I did find something of interest. I can't test it right now, but it could be useful for light backgrounds.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=503126
I still like Sputty's stuff though

McLovin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by McLovin » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:37 pm

ok, I made another proposal for a wallpaper, similar to the one I already made, but dfferent. Again, it's only in 1600x1200 at the moment as this is a draft to get input, let me know what you all think.
click for full size

Return to “Artwork”